Adon's Quick Pet Guide for returning players on progression servers

Any discussion relating to TLP servers.
Adonhiram
Conjurer

Adon's Quick Pet Guide for returning players on progression servers

Post by Adonhiram »

More to come, but here a short summarize to give you a quick overview about pets in the early expansions. I'll develop some aspects in separate threads, especially the topic of how to tell pet to attack. Your very first macro for attacking from level 2 with your first pet should be as described under point 4. Unfortunately all spells and items links in my text document went lost when turning them into a screenshot , you'll have to do the search on Allakhazam yourself.

QuickPetGuide1.PNG

QuickPetGuide2.PNG

11. I am sorry to inform you that being a mage will mean much more than pressing /pet attack + nuke button... :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Adonhiram
Conjurer

Re: Adon's Quick Pet Guide for returning players on progression servers

Post by Adonhiram »

Text version for unregistered users who cannot display images :

1. Use mostly water pet in Classic era. Air sucks for dps and tanking in classic, can be useful in groups against casters, in Lower Guk for example. Fire, it depends, the stronger DS doesn't outbalance it's weak tankage. And no, fire pet is not the best dps pet in classic, it's water (and no, it's nuke is not stronger than the water pet's one, only the DS is better than the one you can cast).

2. Don't forget, no pet heals are ingame before Kunark, and the Kunark ones suck. They are good only for the cure component (they remove 10 disease/poison/curse counters per cast ; your pet is tashed or dotted ? use the pet heals - doesn't work against fire based dots and against the malo line of debuffs). So you have no means of "keeping pet alive" if you solo except by Pet Stop Tanking (see the post about the Pet Stop button).

3. You still have the option of chain petting (you chain summon pets ; you start casting the new one and press the 'pet get lost' aka 'leave' button in the pet window 1 second before the casting time is over ; you do not touch the mob before the end, no nuke, no malo line, no dispell). Earth pet the safest for chain petting because of the root. No, chain petting fire pets is not a good idea. The fire pet might forget to cast its DS when engaged right at summoning and therefore you lose the benefit of...the fire pet.

4. VERY IMPORTANT. Don't use the /pet attack feature in the pet window except when you are casting and only pet window mouse clicking will work. Make yourself a hotkeyed attack macro line 1 /pet back off line 2 /pet attack, and keep your pet sowed if you can (Velocitied once in Kunark)--people will think you can control your pet, wow. By doing this, you clear your pet’s hate list before telling it to attack, and you’ll be able 95% of the time to switch targets even without /pet hold and /pet focus – I’ll make a separate post to develop the logic behind that.

5. Past Kunark, most mages use mainly air pet or water pet and everyone speaks about the dps of the rogue pet. Well. I belong to the minority which prefers air nonetheless for the stuns. The Greater Vocarate Air pet can stun mobs up to level 61. One interrupted complete heal means so much more than a couple shiny backstabs, but thats my personal opinion. Also, with the air pet, it is much easier to "pet mez" an add as it can tank fairly well. And it generates more aggro than the earth pet -which you shouldn't use in groups anyhow except if it fills the tank role-, making it safer for the chanter to mez the add and for the cleric to keep healing the tank. Epic > all obviously once you’ll have it, except for raiding. Note : from PoP onwards your everyday pet will be the air pet.

6. Play with your Kunark fire pet. On TLP servers, the 52+ fire pets follow the "fire pet reform" the SoF expansion introduced : instead of being mediocre and weak wizards casting stupid random nukes and having a fairly low mana pool, they are now 'gun machines' : pet will autoroot on /pet attack command and chain cast (with random pauses however) fire bolts at your target. Oh, did I mention ? Vocarate Fire (pet summoned by the level 52 spell), Fire Elemental Bolt I, 486 DD.

7. Kunark to Luclin : your raid pet is the fire pet except on fire resistant mobs. The fire pet’s nuke is not affected by Mark of the Old Ways, only malus is Mitigation of the Mighty which affects everyone, and therefore gives the fire pet a comparative advantage. EDIT 2017 – Mark of the Old Ways has been considerably soften since a patch in 2016 but the fire pet will still outdps the water pet, especially if you can position it in melee range. Don’t forget it autoroots on attack so you’ll have to park it at fight spot before fight or come close yourself to the boss at start of fight. Velious : in NToV, raid party will often hide around the corner to protect from aoes, you need to factor that in before telling pet to attack as the fire pet requires a line of sight for chaining his bolts.

8. Earth pet. Use solo for big fat hitters or for pet chaining. Some tanks like their mob being rooted and say it's easier for them to hold aggro that way. I think that's still dangerous, but be open to experiments and creative way of thinking...

9. Kunark to Luclin, nothing beats the epic pet but don’t use it on raids, the aggro transfer will most likely kill you.

10. Classic to Luclin : equip your pet with aggro proccing weapons like Gnoll Hide Lariats, Short Sword of the Ykesha (or snare proccing ones like Serrated Bone Dirk) when you want it to tank and to snap aggro quickly from a chanter or a cleric ; the epic pet with two SSoY is an aggro magnet and looks cool  If you are looking for dps, Sarnak Summoner’s Dagger (procs our DD Blaze) and Steel Hilted Flint Dagger (procs Conflagration) are awesome but not cheap unless you farm them ; both require epic pet as the proc is level 49 and normal Kunark pets are level 48. In Luclin era, if you have your VT gloves, your epic pet will be level 50 and will be able to proc the 6 sec stun of Adamantite Club. More about equipment to give to pet later, in another post. Reminder : pets ignore class, race, level (except for procs) and lore tags, so they can equip two of these weapons even if they are lore.

11. I am sorry to inform you that being a mage will need a bit more than /pet attack + nuke hotkey.
The p99 guide is not that bad, though wrong about post-Kunark fire pets as they obviously didn't apply the SoF "fire pet reform". http://wiki.project1999.com/Pet_Guide
Danille

Post by Danille »

ha! A fantastic pet usage overview. Very helpful for those who are enjoying the progression server experience. :mrgreen:
Adonhiram
Conjurer

Post by Adonhiram »

Danille wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:09 pm ha! A fantastic pet usage overview. Very helpful for those who are enjoying the progression server experience. :mrgreen:
Thanks Danille ;-) I know you are semi-retired, but how about testing the dark progression side of the (elemental) Force ? A mage like you cannot stay retired !!!