GamSettingsMover v1 - A tool to move settings after server m

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Gamanern

GamSettingsMover v1 - A tool to move settings after server m

Post by Gamanern »

I have seen plenty of conversations about how people are going to keep their settings after the server merges occur shortly.

To make the process easier for those users that aren't comfortable with copying and renaming files, I built a tool to simplify the process greatly. Just select the directory (guided), select the servers and character and hit the copy button and you are done!

For details see the changelog and screen shots later in this post.

Give it a try, let me know if you like it, or if there is anything that you would like added to it. Obviously any changes will need to fit with the capabilities of the program.

You can check out the GamSettingsMover website at: GamSettingsMover website

Or you can just straight to the download page: Downloads page

Information to help you getting started is available at: Getting started

And you can view the full changelog here: Change log

As always, feel free to share this program within your guild, but please link back to this post on this forum so they can get my little sales pitch. :D

GamSettingsMover v1.0.0 - June 6th, 2010

* Easily copy settings to work with server merges and character renames.

* Guided process to help find the game directory

* Drop downs for selection of old server, new server and character name.

* Automatic backup of any files that are about to be overwritten.

Screen shots:

A sample showing if my character was moved to the Rathe server and had to gain an X in the name:

Jedis
Administrator

Re: GamSettingsMover v1 - A tool to move settings after server m

Post by Jedis »

Works great, but may I suggest a confirmation once you click the button to copy settings files? Also it doesn't remember the EverQuest.exe location.
Gamanern

Post by Gamanern »

Confirmation always, or only if you are about to overwrite a file? I did consider making it show red text for any time you were going to overwrite a setting, sort of like the red text you see when you set the servers the same and the character name the same.

I also didn't worry about recording the directory as I didn't expect the program to be needed for long, really just long enough to copy your characters and then not have much use until next time.
Danille

Post by Danille »

What is the GN file?
Gamanern

Post by Gamanern »

I don't know what the GN file is. I just know it is created with your character and server name sometimes, so I brought it across while doing the others just in case.
Jedis
Administrator

Post by Jedis »

Confirmation always! I clicked it and it didn't say anything, so I clicked it again and it said the files existed and it was creating a backup directory.

GN is for guild notes, the "personal" ones you can store on your computer that no one ever uses.
Gamanern

Post by Gamanern »

Updated the program to make it even easier:
* Displays an Ok/Cancel dialog with file size and date stamp before overwriting anything
* Displays confirmation of the files copied once completed
* Greys out the copy button after a successful copy so you don't accidentally copy twice
* Added in extra location to automatically try: "EverQuest Trilogy"
* If it cannot find your directory in the standard areas, it will look for a Sony directory, and if that isn't found, it will start you in the program files directory. This should get you closer to your installed directory if it isn't one of the standards already.

The new version is available on the download link in the opening post.

Not long to the server merges now!
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Heh, running windows 7, have eq saved on the desktop, and the mover keeps asking me for the directory. I click the main sony folder, it opens, with more stuff. I click the everquest folder in that folder, and more stuff opens. However, any folders, ui files, character files, etc. are missing from the everquest folder. So I can't make a change because it keeps saying to find the everquest directory.

Edit: Okay...Had to actually click the eq icon, the .exe. Working now but windows 7 is quite bizarre.
Gamanern

Post by Gamanern »

Further updated the program:
* Updated the program to handle upper and lower case correctly.

The new version is available on the download link in the opening post.

As you would already know, the server merges are happening right now, so you will want to have your settings files ready for when you log in again. Either use this program, or do it manually following the instructions on the stickied post Here

If you have logged in before you have copied your settings across, EQ would have created new blank UI files for you. Simply run the program or do the manual change and allow it to overwrite the newer blank UI files with your older detailed ones.