pets

A home for posts concerning previous expansions.
Forte

Re: pets

Post by Forte »

Mindrix wrote: Koz took the brunt of the criticism, but people still have never gotten that when a Dev decides "how" something will be done, we don't really get a say in the structure from there. It's just arguing values. Kozvar had his preferences, but he was always, ALWAYS the best CL/CC at bringing up what was important to the community and what people asked for. He spent a lot of time trying to get things done that he didn't really care about. Like the incoming "Grant" summons. He was never on that hobby horse, but he pushed for it for years. People never really got how important and valuable to the class he was.
Absolutely right.

Koz could be needlessly acerbic at times ( I remember chastising him a bit for being more snarky with someone than was warranted ), and he wasn't perfect, as so many of us are. :roll:

People who are fairly new to EQ won't know his part in turning our pets from animated dots back into our strongest tool as a Magician, but I remember very well how limited we were before the change occured.

Very few ( if any ) folks have acknowledged that here, as opposed to the regular Koz bashers that would have someone believe he was the worst thing for mages since necros. :P
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Nelith wrote:If everyone else got a 20% boost and you got a 10% boost, how is that not a nerf?

My "I told you so" was directed at those who are now acting shocked that our pets didn't get the upgrades we have come to expect. Given the offset of the boosts to other classes, let alone mob boosts, how can you consider it anything other than one puny step above not getting any upgrade?

As to why I didn't participate in the beta, ask Sony why they didn't accept my application. I did my part. Not being able to get into the beta, at the first wind of our pets being nerfed through poor scaling, I came here and expressed concern, and urged those in the beta to voice up in unison against it, and I was basically shouted down for trolling.
Our lack of power gained does not rest solely on pet power. They saw more boosts than you stated, we saw an overall boost, just more saw a boost than we did. It's spells, aa's, pets, gear, and pet focus. You were specifically about pets.

As a matter of fact, when you made your first post, the first tuning pass on pets hadn't even been done yet. So, with two more passes coming, how could your "friend" have known what pets were going to be like and how they were set up? The devs didn't even know this. He have a crystal ball? A time machine? ESP?

Seriously, your friend fed you bad data. Realize that and move on.

I don't fault you for listening to your friend and believing him but it's been proven that he was wrong and you still defend him and his bad data. Really, who should you be mad at? It isn't us, we tried to tell you pets still had tuning left.
Nelith
Arch Magus

Post by Nelith »

Voragath wrote:
Nelith wrote:If everyone else got a 20% boost and you got a 10% boost, how is that not a nerf?

My "I told you so" was directed at those who are now acting shocked that our pets didn't get the upgrades we have come to expect. Given the offset of the boosts to other classes, let alone mob boosts, how can you consider it anything other than one puny step above not getting any upgrade?

As to why I didn't participate in the beta, ask Sony why they didn't accept my application. I did my part. Not being able to get into the beta, at the first wind of our pets being nerfed through poor scaling, I came here and expressed concern, and urged those in the beta to voice up in unison against it, and I was basically shouted down for trolling.
Our lack of power gained does not rest solely on pet power. They saw more boosts than you stated, we saw an overall boost, just more saw a boost than we did. It's spells, aa's, pets, gear, and pet focus. You were specifically about pets.

As a matter of fact, when you made your first post, the first tuning pass on pets hadn't even been done yet. So, with two more passes coming, how could your "friend" have known what pets were going to be like and how they were set up? The devs didn't even know this. He have a crystal ball? A time machine? ESP?

Seriously, your friend fed you bad data. Realize that and move on.

I don't fault you for listening to your friend and believing him but it's been proven that he was wrong and you still defend him and his bad data. Really, who should you be mad at? It isn't us, we tried to tell you pets still had tuning left.

Are you being a condescending prick on purpose?

If a friend comes to you and says, "Your house is on fire," are you going to say "Yeah, but it won't be after a while, so I probably don't have to give a sh*t."
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Nelith wrote:
Are you being a condescending prick on purpose?

If a friend comes to you and says, "Your house is on fire," are you going to say "Yeah, but it won't be after a while, so I probably don't have to give a sh*t."
Reread the last line. I think you missed it.

Point blank, pets weren't tuned AT ALL when you posted; after you posted, they were made better. The case is closed.
Gnomeland
Elementalist

Post by Gnomeland »

Will, there will be no guessing game tomorrow. I haven't bought the expansion, and don't intend to unless something changes, but people will know soon enough everything they want to know about pet scaling.
Failcon
Conjurer

Post by Failcon »

First off, give numbers for these claims, or at least better examples. Cause yeah I know a class that got like 20% dps upgrade, it was the Pallies, who still do no dps. I have been in Beta, testing, parsing those I was grouped with. You are speaking with no actual knowledge other than what you think you know, from second hand knowledge. Please don't keep trying to push facts when you have at best, speculation. We have enough people on here, who did see first hand, agrueing points of veiw, fueled with first hand knowledge. Stop muddling the facts.

Also you can't point we only got a lil boost, cause of only one area, when we got a boost in every area. Simple formula - [pet] + [spells] + [utility] = total ability. We got a boost in all areas, some of which people didn't like or care for, some that was thought unneeded, but we got them and that is how it is.
Nelith wrote:My "I told you so" was directed at those who are now acting shocked that our pets didn't get the upgrades we have come to expect. Given the offset of the boosts to other classes, let alone mob boosts, how can you consider it anything other than one puny step above not getting any upgrade?
Dude, our pets, parsing with both a level 90 mainly SoD geared mage, and a 90 mage with HoT raid cultural and top BP both show large boosts in overall performance, using moloing as a basis. I feel that parsing shows only a statistical veiw, and you need actual application, and did such. The testing shows our pets with the lower gear do very well in the group areas in most zones, sorry wassn't able to get into the higher ones yet with him. The boost from the higher geared mage was even nicer and I had very lil issues moloing anywhere I wanted that I could pull singles and even some dbls, where as the SoD geared toon had more trouble in the area of dbls. I actually feel we are sitting better than we did when moving from SoF to Sod (using this example, cause it was last level change).

May the elements guide and protect you.
micker
Elementalist

Post by micker »

So how is the new air pet??
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

Only got to play with him for a few minutes, but he's not too shabby! But then I like any pet that cons yellow to me. :)
Goranothos
Arch Mage

Post by Goranothos »

My 86 pet was max hitting for 581, not counting crits. Old 81 air was max hit 466 with the same focus, so that's a decent improvement.

Of course, my luck holds and I got killed by some kind of dog while buying my 86 spells. I hovered around after I died and watched it kill a couple more people, lol.

Looking forward to playing with the new spells this weekend.
Finduilas

Post by Finduilas »

Goranothos wrote:My 86 pet was max hitting for 581, not counting crits. Old 81 air was max hit 466 with the same focus, so that's a decent improvement.
Which focus do you have because that's a heck of a lot more than the EM4 pet is hitting for!