Ideal class to 2 box with a mage?

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Magicdrawers
Trial Member

Ideal class to 2 box with a mage?

Post by Magicdrawers »

Getting back to playing my mage who has been shelved for a while, I was wondering if there is a generally preferred class to box him with? I would like a class that does not need a ton of AA or high end equipment or is overly complicated but also must be able to a be a nice contribution and able to do tough content with.

Any ideas? (Im considering enchanter or shaman at the moment or even a druid) or should I just roll another mage? :?
Last edited by Magicdrawers on Tue May 17, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magicdrawers
Trial Member

Re: Ideal class to 2 box with a mage?

Post by Magicdrawers »

Also tossing in a Necro (I like pets :D )for the pulling ability as well.
Mendoros07
Magician

Post by Mendoros07 »

I've used mage necro combo for many years. For "me", that is simply the best combo -- mind you been playing the necro for almost 8 years. With the advent and general use of healer mercs, you really don't need any more healing. I currently 2 box that combo in SS, Castle, Ship etc and have yet to have too many issues unless I get sloppy. The necro's ability to pull and add serious DPS is a no brainer. However I have a friend that plays a mage shaman combo and at least in his eyes and great skills, he swears it's a better combo. Now if I had to 3 box... hehe then it would be a mage, shaman and necro but I simply dont have the skills.
sharrien
Elementalist

Post by sharrien »

I biased to say beast, I have a lot of fun with this combo. However, a beast takes good gear, a lot of AA and button-mashing during combat to get much out of it. When I duo with 2 merc healers I primarily tank with my beastlord and off-tank with the warder. Mage pet handles the named fights.

Given your preferences, I would recommend shaman. You would not have mez, but I've found few places where I couldn't figure out how to get singles using CoH pulling. With shammy snare CoH pulling becomes even easier. Necro could do about the same things and have much better dps, but a second silk class would compete with the mage for some loots.

Another one to consider might be druid. Another good class to partner with for CoH pulling, but can also be backup healer. Since a mage pet can handle most content other than named with one cleric merc, you could switch one merc from cleric to dps.
Primal Elementalist Ravingronn Blazewarden, Master Artisan, Master Researcher
Savage Spirit Sharrien Dreamstalker, Master Artisan
Celestial Navigators - Maelin Starpyre
Cielli
Conjurer

Post by Cielli »

Enchanter... Mez, Slows and stuns
Magicdrawers
Trial Member

Post by Magicdrawers »

How much easier is it to pull with an enchanter versus a necro? Also, can an enchanters pet be given any sort of summonable pet equipment?
Magicdrawers
Trial Member

Post by Magicdrawers »

sharrien wrote:I biased to say beast, I have a lot of fun with this combo. However, a beast takes good gear, a lot of AA and button-mashing during combat to get much out of it. When I duo with 2 merc healers I primarily tank with my beastlord and off-tank with the warder. Mage pet handles the named fights.

Given your preferences, I would recommend shaman. You would not have mez, but I've found few places where I couldn't figure out how to get singles using CoH pulling. With shammy snare CoH pulling becomes even easier. Necro could do about the same things and have much better dps, but a second silk class would compete with the mage for some loots.

Another one to consider might be druid. Another good class to partner with for CoH pulling, but can also be backup healer. Since a mage pet can handle most content other than named with one cleric merc, you could switch one merc from cleric to dps.

You mention shaman snare, is this an item or is there an AA with a snare in it?
sharrien
Elementalist

Post by sharrien »

Magicdrawers wrote:
sharrien wrote:s.

You mention shaman snare, is this an item or is there an AA with a snare in it?
Oops...meant root.
Last edited by sharrien on Wed May 18, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Primal Elementalist Ravingronn Blazewarden, Master Artisan, Master Researcher
Savage Spirit Sharrien Dreamstalker, Master Artisan
Celestial Navigators - Maelin Starpyre
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Bard. Can do everything an enc can do, and can also do some of those things better. Bards are better ADPS for mages, they can mezz the same, are probably the best pulling class in the game, can /melody which makes boxing them simple, are on a different armor teir then a mage so no conflicts. They can slow also.

With 2 heal mercs, it really isn't necessary to box a heal class anymore tbh. Especially with our pets who only need one.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

I'm old school and as such have boxed a cleric for years so biased towards them, so here's an option for you.

My cleric (and any PC cleric that knows what they are doing) will still heal circles around any merc healer, period. They are also probably the easiest class to box, due to their low maintenance. So you could box a cleric with your mage and grab DPS mercs for faster kills. My personal cleric is a million times more reliable than merc healers.