laptops for EQ

Anything about anything goes here.
Goranothos
Arch Mage

laptops for EQ

Post by Goranothos »

Well, I've been two boxing for several months now with two desktop PCs, and I am getting mighty tired of the real estate they are taking up on my desk. One of them I keep fairly up-to-date as far as technology is concerned, as I always like to have a PC that is capable of playing newer games. The second one is an old P4 (single core) 3.4 GHz, with an old IDE hard drive, and a (high end six years ago) AGP video card. It can run EQ just fine for boxing, though I certainly would not want to be running it in a raid, and the load times are twice as long as my more modern PC. Like I said, my biggest gripe is the amount of space all this junk (two keyboards, two mice, two large monitors, one large computer case on the desk, one in the floor) takes up.

I am considering taking the plunge for a laptop. It appears "gaming" laptops are available, but wow, are they pricy. I want a small one. This is the one I am considering:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-m11x-r3/pd

I don't like the fact that it trys to look "cool" with all the led keyboard lights, "headlights", and stupid looking alien heads. Hopefully, that can be turned off.

Anyone have any other suggestions? This would primarily be used as a second gaming PC (mostly for EQ), and would be plugged in 90% of the time, but I would also use it occasionally on trips and perhaps to just surf the net while in the "reading room", etc.
Danille

Re: laptops for EQ

Post by Danille »

Alienware has a reputation for being drastically overpriced. If you go the laptop route, you will want to make sure the screen resolution is higher than 1080p or higher. The one that you linked to this tread is only 720p Have you checked into an ASUS?
Last edited by Danille on Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goranothos
Arch Mage

Post by Goranothos »

Danille wrote:Alienware has a reputation for being drastically overpriced. If you go the laptop route, you will want to make sure the screen resolution is higher than 1080p or higher. The one that you linked to this tread is only 720p Have you checked into an ASUS?
Re: Asus.... No, but I will.

Re: screen resolution...sorry but I am more used to thinking in terms of 1024x768, 1920x1080 etc., rather than 720p, 1080p. The one I linked runs at 1366x768, which is a higher resolution than I am currently running on my old box computer.
Shardin
Conjurer

Post by Shardin »

Goranothos
Arch Mage

Post by Goranothos »

Well, I ordered the Alienware laptop that I originally linked. I just could not get past how small it is, and that's the main thing I was after: less room taken up on my desk. I opted for 8 gig of ram and I'll be using a wireless mouse, rather than the touchpad.
Last edited by Goranothos on Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

My laptop is the best gaming system I have currently, but I still just use it as my 2nd or 3rd box. The one you got would drive me nuts because of how small it is. I usually have 2 desktops and a laptop going at the same time and not crowded for space so I guess I just have a huge computer desk.

Glad you got the one you wanted though. :)