how are people adjusting

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Re: how are people adjusting

Post by Piemastaj »

You really think EM 14 is going to limit me so much that I can not take 3? I would see more of a change by dropping down 4 levels of EM then the nerf will bring about.

You have 1250 AA's. You should be struggling in T3. That is an incredibly low amount of AA. Even if you went entirely pet defensives, you are lacking the DPS and mana regen to drop mobs fast enough. Those are simply facts.

There is no need to be upset by a fact well known about in the community, this nerf was not bad at all. Really no need to get butt hurt. I have almost 9 times the amount of AA's as you, soloing should be much easier for me.

You being able to kill T3 nameds with 1250 AAs is a huge reason why pets are being nerfed. Because tanks see that same stuff and complain about it on EQ live.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Felinya
Magician

Post by Felinya »

I'm not killing T3 mobs solo. I'm just using the superior pets to stand up to these mobs without the use of a tank. My dps is coming from another class, not that mages can't dps but you adjust your play based on your challenges. THe amount of work involved in getting a tank leveled up or paying for my old main war account isn't something I choose to do. The whole basis of starting a mage is because the pets stand up very well. The point of my last post is to point out that your opinion doesn't mean smurf when it comes to a true group geared mage. I don't mean this to come off as me being a jerk about it, it's just how I convey my opinion. There is no ill will here even though my language might point otherwise.

EDIT: Also I didn't know that the mob I was killing was created for two groups (hard to believe this is true) to kill when I'm killing it with two toons and two mercs. I'm really only killing the one mob that drops EM14 and haven't touched any other. I do know in T2 my pet was getting rocked with EM13 (health bouncing around A LOT more than pre change). Bottom line is I hate the change. It affects my play style, which is lax compared to 99% of you but I would venture to say I represent the majority of the EQ population these days rather than the large percentage of raiders or uber group geared mages.
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

I am more annoyed that the Moon Phase Piercing (EM19 ear) is missing Tiny Companion than with anything regarding the nerf.
Magz

Post by Magz »

Ok revisiting this and adding a request for advice for the bigger badass magi.

First off. 3 box Mage Bard and Clr I thought i was going to see a difference. Little to non within RoF t2 content. Both trash (single or double or triple mob) or Named. Really thought i see more spikes. 90% of the time im using earth with hate proc bangers.

Second. Ratio wise im not sure im doing myself justice. Same setup but to killing multi named camps and all the trash i can chase, im using 3 dps casters. I drop 1 2 or 3 of them if I see a friend or random lfg. Anyhow when running the 3 mercs.. am i costing myself aaxp? mage and bard are post xp bonus. Clr is 2500 ish as didnt play that option often with the past few years. I feel im doing ok. Rain rain spear rs or rain spear spear subjust to % of mob if rs. most of the time i with lead with rs and rain spear spear. I support the mages mana with max aa regen, 2 bard songs, bard dicse, mount, clr mircle AA. both modrods. min spell buff is off potion of vet buffer. gather when up. i know im not listing them all.. but i use it all. As well.. from bard 2nd regen song about 450 mana per tick.. its the rank3 regen song at 98. The number looks kewl.. but would fire focus be better long term?

mage based info.. em14 72k hp mana. option to use voa t2 raid arms or rof t2 group arms.
main weave is RS rain spear spear.

bard. 2.0/buffs over 100k hps. mostly rank3s.
song adjusts as needed.. mostly 4 big meele with pulse and regen. pulling new mob at 40%

clr. atm 98/2500aa. All aa is the peak healing. starting to fill in the cures, hp, mana regen etc.
hot key pet healing is 100%. rof HoT, timed delayed lights x3.

Thank you in advance. Trying to improve overall and stop being such a loner.. etc etc etc.. long time reader never post yayayaya..

magz
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

For your Bard you want to use these things: Aria of Va'ker, Kaficus's Song of Suffering, Aura of Va'Ker, Chorus of Solarra, War March of Protan (you can drop Protan for Gosik's Aria for added DMg on nukes if you like). That will pretty much set you up for anything you need. Make sure to use Motlak's Lively Crescendo to give a bigger boon to mana regen when you can.

You should be engaging with RS. Going 2x Rain and a Spear. After Malosinete is on you can also use Blistersteel Malosenia to get the added DMG on magic nukes.

If your using 3x DPs mercs, you would be better suited to drop the Garg pet and just plow with them to keep your mage's mana pool stout. Your only hurting yourself if your not pulling enough mobs really. You have a full group so you should be tearing mobs up.
Last edited by Piemastaj on Tue May 21, 2013 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Mintalee
Elementalist

Post by Mintalee »

I have the highest available raid EM and yes, I can tell a difference. It's not major but my pet dies more often in the same situations. It's annoying, sure, but not crippling.
dorfillya
Conjurer

Post by dorfillya »

It really depends on your gear, AAs, and how you are set up to play, but, for myself, I never felt DPS mercs could come close to the DPS I can do personally. Therefore, I feel as though I am just losing EXP if I try to use DPS mercs. I do have about 10,000 AAs and raid gear also, which may alter my perception of the group game.