Weaves & Macros, help.

A home for posts concerning previous expansions.
Cielli
Conjurer

Weaves & Macros, help.

Post by Cielli »

I'm trying to make the change from button-masher to using buttons to activate multiple ability codes... & I'm also wondering about using multibind keys for my spells during burn

First on my list was just a button to activate my burns all at once,
Fire Core, FIrst Spire, Empowered focus, and glyph of the cataclysm.
If anyone could tell me how to set that up, would be much obliged.

Second, Had a qustion regarding making a burn Hot-button, I've read that people use these ( to cast their spells in order with the optimum timing ), but I was always a little confused about how effective they would be, Seems like any lag might mess this up, or does the timing go off w/out a hitch? I don't have a GREAT computer, but I do have a fast & reliable connection.

Can someone explain the benefit of using multibind keys for your spells vs. just clicking them each individually?
Potawatomi
Volunteer

Re: Weaves & Macros, help.

Post by Potawatomi »

Your burn key would be

/alt activate 621(fire core)
/alt activate 1370 (first spire)
/alt activate 774 ( arcanum)
/alt activate 7019 (glyph)
/alt activate 500 (silent casting)

When it comes to the burn key it will cast regardless of lag, from my experience. Also I put silent casting last since it is the only one that isn't instant.

For multibinding

http://www.eqmagetower.com/wiki/Multibinding

The benefit being that it will cast the highest priority spell first.

For example, your spell bar has the following

1. RS
2. Salvo
3. rain
4. rain
5. spear
6 spear
7. bolt
8. thaum
9. symbiosis
10. xxx
11. xxx
12. xxx

You can set the number pad . (period key) to cast the spells 1 - 7. Once you do this it will cast the first spell that is up w/o a cool down timer. It determines this by the order of your spell bar. So RS will always cast first if available and it will check each spell if the others are on cooldown.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

With the actual multibinding, lag can hinder you if you are not careful or not paying attention. I am not positive if it has to do with having Force of Elements in there or not. Using the above set-up, you can put the hot key you have FoE on to activate when you hit your burn/weave/multi-bind key.

Here's the problem. At some point, it will try to do two actions at once and the game gets confused. Your spell bar will not put the correct spell in cooldown and your weave key will continue trying to cast the spell already used.

For example, it attempts, for whatever reason, to cast salvo and rain at the same time. Well, salvo fires but not rain and salvo does not grey out. Not being greyed out, the multi-bind key continues to try and cast salvo every time but nothing happens. You can bypass this by switching to manually casting the next spells down the line until you get to the gem causing the problem then pick it back up. Buf, if you weren't paying attention, you will lose precious time trying to hit the right key or getting your burn out of sync.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Multi-binding is lag prevention really.

It immediately tries to cast the spell because your spam pressing your key. Now if you lag and say your mouse goes fubar and is on the other end of your screen far away from your spell bar then you lose time. Whereas Multi-binding simply casts the spells that are linked to that key.

It tries to cast your first spell, if that fails then your second one gets cast, if that fails your third ect. The essential key is to get a group of spells together so that when your first spell is ready to be cast again your multi-bind key is going to be casting that spell. So keeping your key to minimal spells (generally 4 for burns (Garg>ofmany>Rain>Rain, works fairly well although you do get every few rotations a period where of many goes before Garg)). If you have say 7 spells, then you will be constantly trying to cast 2-3 spells that simply will not cast, and on the off chance that nothing is up and those are ready to cast those spells are a lot lower DPS then your top 1-4 spells so your hurting yourself more.

As to Force, it has proven in my experience to hurt a weave when in the multi-bind. I have helped 3 or 4 Mages and simply removing Force from a multi-bind has seen a boost in DPS. I believe it has to do with AA's casting before spells or some such, but whenever you have it in a wave you see lower casts of other spells resulting in a lower DPS number.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Cielli
Conjurer

Post by Cielli »

It's great info, ty both! much easier to setup than I'd expected.

How do you guys work in using blazing orb?

Edit: I practiced a bit just clicking that and FoE, worked fine.

Gotta admit tho, makes ur multibind finger tired :p
Potawatomi
Volunteer

Post by Potawatomi »

I'll use the fire orbs, ice rod and FoE during the GCD (global cool down). So cast RS, then while waiting for refresh click fire orb, cast salvo, click Foe, etc etc.

Very useful during spell twincast. Not so much during the AA twincast since that has counters.
Fleiss
Conjurer

Post by Fleiss »

Potawatomi wrote:Your burn key would be

/alt activate 621(fire core)
/alt activate 1370 (first spire)
/alt activate 774 ( arcanum)
/alt activate 7019 (glyph)
/alt activate 500 (silent casting)

When it comes to the burn key it will cast regardless of lag, from my experience. Also I put silent casting last since it is the only one that isn't instant.
Don't put silent casting in your burn hot key. Hit it before you start burning (hell I would even do it pre engage, remember your aggro is off base of the spell damage, so only TC is adding aggro). Aggro is additive, if you are low, it take a while to catch up and everyone else is pumping up there aggro at same time during a burn. By putting it at the end of you hotkey you just lost a spell modded by all your burn disc due to it's cast time.