Mages Malo on Raids

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
Gennaveeve
Trial Member

Mages Malo on Raids

Post by Gennaveeve »

I would like to get some feedback to see how many guilds are using Mages to Malo the mobs in Raid, in lieu of Shaman.
Sancus
Conjurer

Re: Mages Malo on Raids

Post by Sancus »

We have Shaman malo on raids... It seems a waste of DPS to have Mages taking the time to malo. I'm sure there's an argument for the Shammies time, but ours haven't made one :)
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

This discussion has been had before and guilds use both and it just depends on guild makeup. If a guild relies heavily on shammies for healing, those guilds use mages; if a guild uses shammy for backup heals and mainly as melee support, then they will malo. That was pretty much what the pattern looked like to me.

This same discussion was had in the CRT program which led to our malo+magic nuke line and some other malo aa benefits and changes. Really, as a mage, you should be able to debuff without a loss to dps these days. Timing is key and you will lose dps if trying to malo trash but then, why are you doing that? lol

This doesn't mean we should. It's important to work out who's doing what because nothing is more irritating than watching someone else malo. There were plenty of raids where I was told to malo only to watch a shammy start doing it as if their feelings were hurt.
Sancus
Conjurer

Post by Sancus »

Voragath wrote:Really, as a mage, you should be able to debuff without a loss to dps these days.
Even if you're using the Magic nuke Malo, you're still losing Cast+Recast where you could otherwise cast a much better spell. It's definitely better than it otherwise would be, but I don't see how you can circumvent a certain degree of lost DPS/damage.

The biggest frustration I see in this area is Shammies (or even Mages) using AA Malo (missing the Magic damage boost) on bosses, and not being able to overwrite it for however long it lasts (3-ish minutes now?). Unless it was fixed rather recently, that's still an issue if you don't have anyone with Rank 3 Spell Malo.
dorfillya
Conjurer

Post by dorfillya »

cast malo only gives a 1% boost to magic spells, and, I wonder if the increased debuff action of AA malo may be better than that 1% increased magic damage due to less resisted nukes and dots in general, of course it does only last 3 minutes, I put a timer cast bar on my screen to help me recast as necessary, I personally use gamtexttriggers for the timer bar, I don't see how a mage casting AA malo once every 3 minutes can possibly reduce their DPS any significant amount
Sancus
Conjurer

Post by Sancus »

Spell Malo is a 1-10% boost to Magic damage, averaging out at 5.5% (Lucy is awful as a spell parser). It is less of an issue (but still an issue) on longer fights; on a burn fight, losing however many seconds (3 or 4?) is pretty significant as far as losing damage. AA Malo can be used during GCD so it wastes less time, but at least IMO losing that 5.5% damage is significant not just for you, but for the entire raid.