200% crits on rain waves ??? (progression servers)

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
Adonhiram
Conjurer

200% crits on rain waves ??? (progression servers)

Post by Adonhiram »

Hey fellow mages,

I found something odd and would like to know if you have some info about it. I restarted EQ after 5 years on progression servers (Lockjaw and now Ragefire) and we have been in Luclin for one month now.

I finished my Luclin crit AAs and I noticed crits on rain waves would triple the damage, not double it. Is this intended or is this a bug we better don"t mention in public channels or on the DBG forums ?

Do you get stronger crits on rains than on regular nukes on live too ?
Adonhiram
Conjurer

Re: 200% crits on rain waves ??? (progression servers)

Post by Adonhiram »

It also applies to weapon procs. My 1HB staff in main hand, which procs a 400 fire lure dd, had a flat 1200 crit proc yesterday as I was meleeing a bit. You guys have that on live too ?
Sancus
Conjurer

Post by Sancus »

Since I don't play on progression servers, what crit chance and crit damage AAs do you have access to?

I can confirm that it doesn't happen (for rains nor weapon procs) with max Destructive Fury AA. If it's happening on TLP without Destructive Fury, then it likely would happen on live as well without any ranks in that AA.

This definitely doesn't happen with other spells? I don't know that I've ever encountered an instance where the crit damage modifier was different for specific nukes, outside of when Arcane Fusions' crit chance cap was broken.
Adonhiram
Conjurer

Post by Adonhiram »

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

The TLP Adon has maxed his Luclin crit AAs which yield a 7% chance to double your base damage (+100%). As you know of course, both the likelihood as the strength of the crit increases expansion after expansion.

I didn't notice at first because regular nukes don't yield flat values because you always have the variable focus damage. But after examining all my logs and doing the maths, it is obvious ALL nukes, not only rains or weapon procs, do triple damage instead of double damage on crits.

I had a chat yesterday with a SK buddy, he thinks it's not a bug (and he has triple crits too) but it's meant to, as a compensation for the free melee AAs all melee classes get on progression servers which raise the base damage of melee hits till 40% at level 60. Last emergency patch on Saturday did not change my crits, so I assume he might be right in his guess.

However, I couldn't find any statement on the official forums about this and I am reluctant to open a thread publicly (in the hypothesis it is an unwanted bug, I don't want to be the guy who is responsible for the nerf of all casters lol).
Sancus
Conjurer

Post by Sancus »

If that's the case, my guess would be that TLP players inherited the extra 100% crit damage that everyone on live received in the 7/22/15 patch. The intent of that change was to compensate players for removing 100% crit damage from every activated ability with a crit damage modifier.

No idea if it's intentional that that affects TLPs as I don't follow dev posts relating to TLP servers, but the theory regarding it compensating for the passive melee DPS increases makes some sense.
Adonhiram
Conjurer

Post by Adonhiram »

Sancus wrote:If that's the case, my guess would be that TLP players inherited the extra 100% crit damage that everyone on live received in the 7/22/15 patch. The intent of that change was to compensate players for removing 100% crit damage from every activated ability with a crit damage modifier.

No idea if it's intentional that that affects TLPs as I don't follow dev posts relating to TLP servers, but the theory regarding it compensating for the passive melee DPS increases makes some sense.
Ahh, very interesting ! Yes, that makes sense, I suppose that's the explanation.
Adonhiram
Conjurer

Post by Adonhiram »

And btw, it affects the fire pet too when FBO I is activated, its nuke is tripled, but... pssssttt.... not sure that is intended too... :roll: