medical question

Anything about anything goes here.
Firen Fury
Arch Convoker

medical question

Post by Firen Fury »

i know, its an EQ site, so im not gonna base my life off any answers here... but, i wanna ask anyway and get opinions... im prolly gonna go see a dr monday so i'll ask then too... but im impatient.

ive always figured, a cold or flu virus isnt treated by taking meds for coughing or being stuffy... cause those are symptoms... thats how your body gets rid of the dead virus... and only a fever will actually kill the virus... so... ive always kept an eye on the fever to make sure its not too high, and ive always tried not to take stuff for the stuffy or the coughing cause i figure its just delaying the inevitable cause its the only way to get rid of the icky stuff.

but now someone told me thats not quite right... she said that being too stuffy for too long sets you up for a secondary, bacterial infection... sinus, ear, lung infections. and, i get that kinda stuff a LOT

right now, the flu i just got over, has come back with a vengance and i think its bronchitus now (hense the dr visit monday... hes not there tomorrow).

does anyone KNOW if this is right or not?
Image . Image . Image
The 'Preview' Button is Your Friend
najiwench
Grand Summoner

Re: medical question

Post by najiwench »

The fever is the body's natural defense against the virus, as the virus cannot survive at the higher temperature. But, at too high a temperature your brain will fry, so it's a balance..like you said

The other defense is to create excess mucous which can cause the runny nose. But, often the side effect of the virus is inflamation which causes that excess mucous to back up and get clogged, trapping bacteria and virus and making you sicker..

Coughing is another one that is good and bad..good, it clears out the bad guys...bad, it can harm your lungs and bronchial tract if it's too rough or frequent or lasts too long, causing irritation that gets inflamed and becomes a breeding ground for even more bacteria and virus.

I am not a medical professional, just a mother of 4 :lol:
Siggy by Eireann
Bastler
Conjurer

Post by Bastler »

Swine flu also attacks the lungs, a new study has found out:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news ... 89214.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So better make sure you visit a doc, dont disregard it, even if it seemingly becomes better.
Firen Fury
Arch Convoker

Post by Firen Fury »

actually i was confirmed with swine flu last spring... our whole town got it... i miss it lol it was a lot less severe than this

thanks tho, i do appreciate it :)

oh, and yeah, im gonna see the dr monday... he wasnt in the office today

thank you too naj

*huggles for both, but not too tight, dont wanna get you sick too*
Image . Image . Image
The 'Preview' Button is Your Friend
Sirulus Delon

Post by Sirulus Delon »

So what was it?

-§ir