RL seeks help for his mages

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Falino-Luclin
Elementalist

Re: RL seeks help for his mages

Post by Falino-Luclin »

Sometimes you just mages who are lazy too. I have been in groups a few times (obviously a different environment than a raid, but the point still applies) with mages with better gear than me yet I parsed significantly higher than them over the course of the night because they aren't giving their full effort. This can be for many reasons:

1) They aren't being good about keeping their pets buffed.
2) They aren't using activated AAs as much as they should or can.
3) They are nuking slower and more infrequently than they should be.
4) They aren't using servants as much as they should be.

etc, etc, etc.

While knowing what spells to use and when is important to maximizing your DPS, a lot of the time I find it is just people being lazy.
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

Depending on the group I often don't go for full DPS burn, simply because grouping is "relaxing" time for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a slouch in a group, especially with people I don't know, but unless we're fighting at a breakneck pace or I just have some need to lay out crazy DPS I try to be a little more relaxed in my group killing. Yes, I keep my pet buffed. Yes, I fire off the applicable AAs as they are up. No, I'm probably not going to try to maintain a heavy weave while I group.

That said since returning I have grouped with other mages that made me go "Um, you gonna cast something today sweetheart?". I'm pretty smurf far from uber, but I at least make a point to get all of my important spells and know how to play my class well. When I only see someone throw out only one or two nukes a fight I do get a little peeved.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Msha wrote:Even in a twincast you should cast RS on a GoM proc, a double nuke at BEST circumstances is 60k a RS, especially if one mage have Rathe's Strrngth up is 60-80k.
Interesting. I read a discussion awhile back about whether to nuke or hit RS and I thought I remembered that nuking was best. Good thing I said something because I was wrong :oops: This is gonna come in handy now. Thanks Msha!
Zacatac
Conjurer

Post by Zacatac »

Voragath wrote:
Msha wrote:Even in a twincast you should cast RS on a GoM proc, a double nuke at BEST circumstances is 60k a RS, especially if one mage have Rathe's Strrngth up is 60-80k.
Interesting. I read a discussion awhile back about whether to nuke or hit RS and I thought I remembered that nuking was best. Good thing I said something because I was wrong :oops: This is gonna come in handy now. Thanks Msha!
Well it's 2 different circumstances actually.

I believe I said in my "mage basics" post that you should drop RS from "the weave" while twincast is going and just nuke. However, Msha is talking about a GoM proc going off, and casting RS, which is always a good thing to do.
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

A few other things come into play as well, such as how far you are away from said mob and how far into your twincast are you. For example, if you have 3 seconds left on twincast, it makes no sense to pop a RS and lose a double nuke when you can pop a double nuke and RS right after.