AA Suggestions for Underfoot

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
Malleria
Arch Mage

Re: AA Suggestions for Underfoot

Post by Malleria »

Msha wrote:Fundament: Fourth Spire of the Elements 1/2/3
Cost: 5/5/5

Make a symbiosis with you and your pet, drain 2000/5000/10000 HP of your pet, while granting you 1000/2500/5000 Mana.

Duration: Instant
Cast time: 0.5 seconds
Recast time: 600 seconds

Restrictions: Stuns both you and your pet, making you unable to move or cast spell for the duration of the stun (12 seconds). No beneficial spells can be cast on you or your pet for the duration of the stun. Your pet will lose agro on it's current target for the duration of the stun.
I like the idea, but putting it on the same timer as first spire = BAD.
Firen Fury
Arch Convoker

Post by Firen Fury »

seriously... an AA that makes gates never collapse... c'mon... after 80+ lvls of casting the spell, we should be able to get good at it!

and a nice AA for melees would be one that makes your weapon proc on the next swing... maybe refreshable every 15 min. has a lot of uses (gates, runes, etc) and its just a weapon proc every 15 min, it cant be that overpowering.
Image . Image . Image
The 'Preview' Button is Your Friend
Calebe
Arch Convoker

Post by Calebe »

I am not in favor of an aa to give me mana at the expense of the hit points of the pet, even less if it makes that pet unusable for any length of time. Just make a spell (we will get a few) or an aa with a 15 minute reuse timer for a rod that takes hit points from us, and gives us mana.

The pet is our only line of defense and if your oom and pet is fighting no way will you tap it for that must and have it die. The solution take our own hit points as we are more able to survive with low hit points then the pet. We have rods now, we just need a mega rod, 10,000 hit points for 5000 mana, or 15,000 hit points for 7500 mana. Need a 10,000 option for those that don't have 15,000 hit points to spare, so will help the casual player. If we need it lowered I am fine with that. A 15,000 option for 7500 mana should be enough for a raider in any emergency situation.

Calebe
Darkenr
Volunteer

Post by Darkenr »

Calebe wrote:I am not in favor of an aa to give me mana at the expense of the hit points of the pet, even less if it makes that pet unusable for any length of time. Just make a spell (we will get a few) or an aa with a 15 minute reuse timer for a rod that takes hit points from us, and gives us mana.

The pet is our only line of defense and if your oom and pet is fighting no way will you tap it for that must and have it die. The solution take our own hit points as we are more able to survive with low hit points then the pet. We have rods now, we just need a mega rod, 10,000 hit points for 5000 mana, or 15,000 hit points for 7500 mana. Need a 10,000 option for those that don't have 15,000 hit points to spare, so will help the casual player. If we need it lowered I am fine with that. A 15,000 option for 7500 mana should be enough for a raider in any emergency situation.

Calebe
I don't agree personally. I think that there should be a penalty to getting such a large chunk of mana back like that. What you're basically suggesting with that is an ability that rivals the wizards as far as how much mana return we would get with only a hp penalty on yourself while we still have our pet between ourselves and the mob when wizards if they want to do it mid battle have to risk the mob breaking root, or getting to them snared before their stun is up.
The purpose in my opinion with that ability should be an ability to have a larger mana pool, and allow us to have more consistant dps over time without just giving us a straight flat increase to our real mana pool, but the penalty for it is to use it inbetween battles, or on some down time like wizards do in grouping/raiding situations, instead of more like an "iwin" button for when we've made a poor choice, or got an add when we were low on mana.

If we're going to request an ability like this, we really shouldn't be stomping on the feet of wizards and get something that's fundamentally the same, except without the penalty of theirs. I agree fully with the penalties (stun both pet and user).
Calebe
Arch Convoker

Post by Calebe »

We are getting a penalty though. We are getting a DD basically for 15,000 hit points. So while a wizard gets stunned they lose no hit points, and as the mob could be rooted and snared both all we have to protect us is a pet being hit by a mob. If you zap it for 15,000 hit points and stun it, that pet is 100% useless. We have no root, or snare to prevent the mob from coming to us and beating us dead in a few seconds.

A mage only line of defense is the pet. We can't allow a mana refill option to kill the pet. If between a fight sure no problem, the same as the wizard's stun is no issue between fights. During a battle though our pet is it. We can't ask for an aa that basically begs, give me mana, but why bother, my pet will die or be useless and the mage will die.

If you raid sure why not. The pet is not the mobs attention, it won't matter that much, and the mage gets the mana. If your solo there is no way you will give your pet a 15,000 DD nuke to get mana, you will die if you do. A wizard can snare/root and back up so the mob can't get to them before the stun wears off. A 15k nuke and stun of the pet is the worst idea I heard of for a soloing mage ever, if you raid sure why not. Though remember any AA we get should benefit those who raid, those who group and those who solo, and not worry raid or group only.

Also as a precedent, yes we have a siphon spell for mana regen over time. We also have a precedent for instant mana at the cost of hit points, and that is the rod, and we have had it as an instant mana refill item for a long time. It just never gave enough mana back till the ill conceived Luclin rods.

The mega rod is no different then what we have now, except it will be mage only and give a lot more mana back for a lot more hit points lost. It is not new, it is not radical, and if you think about it the old rods from Luclin allowed you to cast it over and over to get full mana but at a cost of hit points, till they put the 5 minute timer on it. This will be our mana regen, and if your in a fight and already had aggro and taken a few hits you may not have 15,000 hit points left to use a rod. A wizard doesn't have that worry, they have a stun effect to worry about. Different class, a different worry.

Rods are and have been the way for mages to get mana now. A siphon is a way for mages to get mana per tick over time. So if you ask for a new siphon that gives 200 mana per tick for 5 minutes for a 15k nuke of the pet. Fine you will cast it before sending the pet into battle and after it regens it. You won't ever hit a pet that is protecting you for 15,0000 hit point loss as you will die as soon as the pet does. So lets agree to disagree, but a 15k nuke and stun of the pet is not something any soloing mage would use in battle,and we must always think of a mage as soloing when we talk about mana regen as they need it as much as anyone else, in fact more so as they are it. They are oom, well the pet is it, and to me, I will take a hit to win the fight, never the pet. Any mage that thinks that way needs to re-evaluate. Our pet is our life blood. Heal it, nuke the mob to protect it and us, never hurt it.

Calebe
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

I agree with Cal here in that it shouldn't stun our pet. But wouldn't the 15k dmg get negated by Iceflame proc and Aegis? If it is a direct damage hitting the pet then it should not be a problem in all honesty at any point in solo or raid. You would have to time it, but Aegis lasts what 8 hits at rank 3 (dont quote me, but iirc its somewhere near there). And also, you need some risk for getting back 7500 mana. Even if it doesn't get affected by Ageis/iceflame, our pets with max focus have like 22kish hp unbuffed iirc, so that leaves the pet with around 7k left. Hit the AA or whatever then use Replenish and ur good as new in all honesty.

I don't really think it matters in all honesty how we get the mana as long as we get some sort of big mana getter with this next expansion. If it hits our pet big deal, work around it. If it hits us use a HoT pot before you cast it. I would have to say, NO STUN though on either of it. That is too much of a risk when we have absolutely no way of protecting ourselves like root or evac.

I am a mainly solo mage also. I raid a good amount also, but outside of raids its 100% solo/duo (Just so you see where my point of view is coming from).

Just my 2cp. :D

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Baramos
Conjurer

Post by Baramos »

Piemastaj wrote:I agree with Cal here in that it shouldn't stun our pet. But wouldn't the 15k dmg get negated by Iceflame proc and Aegis? If it is a direct damage hitting the pet then it should not be a problem in all honesty at any point in solo or raid. You would have to time it, but Aegis lasts what 8 hits at rank 3 (dont quote me, but iirc its somewhere near there). And also, you need some risk for getting back 7500 mana. Even if it doesn't get affected by Ageis/iceflame, our pets with max focus have like 22kish hp unbuffed iirc, so that leaves the pet with around 7k left. Hit the AA or whatever then use Replenish and ur good as new in all honesty.

I don't really think it matters in all honesty how we get the mana as long as we get some sort of big mana getter with this next expansion. If it hits our pet big deal, work around it. If it hits us use a HoT pot before you cast it. I would have to say, NO STUN though on either of it. That is too much of a risk when we have absolutely no way of protecting ourselves like root or evac.

I am a mainly solo mage also. I raid a good amount also, but outside of raids its 100% solo/duo (Just so you see where my point of view is coming from).

Just my 2cp. :D
I agree. And while I know that in this case some "negative thing for a positive thing" has been the case, I hope we can get away from the idea, finally, that in order to get something new, we'll have to give something up. Generically speaking.

Bara
Falore
Magician

Post by Falore »

Calebe wrote:I am not in favor of an aa to give me mana at the expense of the hit points of the pet, even less if it makes that pet unusable for any length of time. Just make a spell (we will get a few) or an aa with a 15 minute reuse timer for a rod that takes hit points from us, and gives us mana.

Calebe

Then buff your pet with Aegis, or let him proc iceflame. The blocker will absorb the Direct Damage spell from the mana regen AA.
qibrme
Conjurer

Post by qibrme »

Tweelis wrote:I still want an AA that makes our gargoyle pet come out pre-shrunk. An AA for our aura would be cool to, maybe even an upgrade to Rathe's Strength. Something along the lines of 3/6/9 cost for a 5%/9%/12% damage modifier increase.

An expendable AA set that gives our pets better armor. Make it something like 9 AA's for intricate defiant plate, 18 aa's and our pet will get a set of elaborate defiant plate, 27 aa's and our pet would get a set of elegant defiant plate. If you or your pet dies, it'll take another 9/18/27 aa's to reequip a new pet.
Think I must be reading this wrong.
Are you really saying you want expendable AA's to cost 9/18/27 to armor equip a pet?

That made me really LOL

Suediwenae...
qibrme
Conjurer

Post by qibrme »

Calebe wrote: if you think about it the old rods from Luclin allowed you to cast it over and over to get full mana but at a cost of hit points, till they put the 5 minute timer on it. Calebe
IIRC the reason the 5 minute timer came in was because Mages were turned into mana rod machines so other classes could use up the rods and refill mana at will.

Why not make the new rod MAGE ONLY 3 clicks, and allow us to click it as many times as we want?
10k HP's for 5k mana
If you dont have high HP's click less. Could be because you are low level, don't have good gear or AOE's have you at low health.
Have 40k HP's use up all 3 clicks on a rod if you want.

Make the recast timer for the summon rod spell 5 minutes instead of the reuse (click) timer being 5 minutes.

Suediwenae...
Last edited by qibrme on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.