Need boxing advice

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Conjurous
Elementalist

Re: Need boxing advice

Post by Conjurous »

Got the ring from unusual creature, other ring u said has same focus, need the other focus really, its the caster ring Band of Silent Study i want but raspers still has no named for it but allakhazam has it drop from Peacekeeper of Melretia, those mobs are annoying to pop, they only pop when statue in centre is facing the right tower and they can pop on death of any mob so gettin em is really annoying, no wonder raspers has no loot for any of em.
Sonwen
Trial Member

Post by Sonwen »

Try Soliadal the Timid in Pillars. He drops Brilliant Band of Arcane Knowledge which I believe is the rare version of the ring you (and I) want. If he drops the rare version then he drops the non rare.
Sonwen
Trial Member

Post by Sonwen »

bobipet
Magician

Post by bobipet »

great link for gear , tasks ect............

http://voa.eqresource.com/groupgear.php

www.eqresource.com
Conjurous
Elementalist

Post by Conjurous »

Sonwen wrote:Try Soliadal the Timid in Pillars. He drops Brilliant Band of Arcane Knowledge which I believe is the rare version of the ring you (and I) want. If he drops the rare version then he drops the non rare.
Ahh that named, just looking him up and it says he buffs with bigger dmg shield the more dps u do to him, fun slow kill then.

I use that site all the time, most named are listed with loot now cept a few in pillars mainly the Peacekeepers who pop after u kill a mob and only if the statue faces that tower and they are rare.
bluejaye
Elementalist

Post by bluejaye »

i have no problem earth pet tanking t3 named in group gear (EM XI,) but it takes a lot of focus on my pet. i spam aegis every time it refreshes. i try to wait to use replenish companion until i use divine companion. it's an instant heal when pet di wears off. if thats not up, then i often lose my pet after di wears off cause he's low hp when it lands and the healers can't react quickly enough to save him. pet tanking also requires that i eat the aes since the range of aegis is so low.

the rat queen in temple is the only place in voa that my shaman has been requested over my mage. one real cleric (lvl 91 at the time iirc) wasn't able to keep up with the ae, and the shaman group heals took care of that to free up the cleric to focus on the main tank. the prismatic selyrah is prolly the named that kills me more than any other, but i'm hoping i can figure out how to avoid nuking myself for 57k. it doesn't seem to be a reflect, because it's always the same amount. it's a very doable named tho. the only wipe we've had to it was when it took out me, the cleric, and shaman pretty quickly. i think my friends like to go there cause it's the place i'm the most likely person to die, and they owe me quite a few in that regard.

i would suggest spending more time on the mage whose pet is tanking than your other boxes. so much of pet tanking is timing, and the pet really needs a dedicated mage to keep him alive. i can't really comment on t4 named. i've always had a real tank there, and named seem too sceered to spawn most of the time.
Zelyn
Trial Member

Post by Zelyn »

dorfillya wrote:I already have 6 years invested in a cleric box, but, if I had it to do over again, I would start a shaman.
I would have thought at higher levels, that the Shining Rampart line would rock on a mage pet. Im dropping my bard (I really dont like playing bards, I know I guess im crazy, most mages are addicted to them :lol: ) in favor of some sort of healer (I tried to 4 box but I guess my limit is 3 boxing). I run two mages and it is going to be either a cleric or shaman (tried druid, a little too much going on), I was considering a necro but dont think a necros RB is going to be enough to cover healing too well, correct me if I am wrong
Last edited by Zelyn on Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fleiss
Conjurer

Post by Fleiss »

I am up to 6 boxing (yeah, im nuts just, like the challenge). I made Shaman as my first box and loved that decision. Ive had him abotu as logn as dorfs cleric. i made a cleric later but fine it under used and even made a beast on that account to suppliment. So if you choosing a healer type i would go for shaman because if you dont need ehals they do basically everything well, not great but well. Cleric you get stuck with limited abilities when not healing. they do have more survivability options for group than shaman but lack a real dps option.

As far as RB, it is all based on how fast you are casting on all your casting toons. It combos up with your healing AA and DD AAs. So if you have either or both it will effect how much you heal for or crit for. My sixth toon is a necro and I am pretty sure i wont need any heals with him on trash (still leveling him). Of course all the toons but my cleric are casting damaging spells. You will get more benefit from necro the more you are casting, though it is random, so if you are close on some fight, there will be times it doesnt fire and you fail. Necro should help you kill faster though.

Pick somethign you enjoy in the end. Mercs are a useful tool but never replace a good toon. Also, understand how to use that tool when you group since they are a script and will react the same way 99% of the time. So think what your merc is likely to do and you are probably right if you paid any attention to them. Adjust their stances appropriately or your distance from mobs if you getting AE'd to make them react closer to what you need. It will also determine if you can even win with them or more trouble than they are worth.

Good Luck with whatever you choose.
naltena
Elementalist

Post by naltena »

Not to high jack but do you guys sue a special program to box or just alt tab through all windows :O?
dorfillya
Conjurer

Post by dorfillya »

Zelyn wrote:
dorfillya wrote:I already have 6 years invested in a cleric box, but, if I had it to do over again, I would start a shaman.
I would have thought at higher levels, that the Shining Rampart line would rock on a mage pet. Im dropping my bard (I really dont like playing bards, I know I guess im crazy, most mages are addicted to them :lol: ) in favor of some sort of healer (I tried to 4 box but I guess my limit is 3 boxing). I run two mages and it is going to be either a cleric or shaman (tried druid, a little too much going on), I was considering a necro but dont think a necros RB is going to be enough to cover healing too well, correct me if I am wrong
You are correct, shining rampart line is great on pets. But I would trade shining rampart for shammy buffs and slows. Can still get cleric buffs (minus shining rampart) from a cleric merc.