Need boxing advice

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Fleiss
Conjurer

Re: Need boxing advice

Post by Fleiss »

naltena wrote:Not to high jack but do you guys sue a special program to box or just alt tab through all windows :O?
I use three computers and no special programs (two toons on each computer). I alt Tab or just click the taskbar. I allow window resizing on all to make it as big as it can get with the taskbar still showing. I load my toons in same order on eash computer so i know which instance or everquest is which toon.
Miphon
Elementalist

Post by Miphon »

There are programs available to help automate boxing additional toons but if you're running multiple sessions from the same PC, you're out of luck. EQ1 does not accept keyboard/mouse input unless it is the active window.
Goranothos
Arch Mage

Post by Goranothos »

I am amazed at the fact that you can six box, including running two toons on three different PCs. I find it taxes my abilities to just two box on two computers, one toon per computer. Maybe I'm just getting old (well, not maybe, I *am*).
naltena
Elementalist

Post by naltena »

First thank you for the information at the moment I'm alt tabbing but I have both toons up at the same time (I dual wield monitors :P) So I guess for now thats the only option.
Miphon wrote:There are programs available to help automate boxing additional toons but if you're running multiple sessions from the same PC, you're out of luck. EQ1 does not accept keyboard/mouse input unless it is the active window.
I do happen to have a laptop that I only use as a blueray player media box etc. Could you trow me any names so I can go google how to use/buy them? I play in an euro server and I play late so theres no one around when I do I could really use having my shaman with me at all times.
Miphon
Elementalist

Post by Miphon »

Try IsBoxer.com

This is in no way an endorsement and I have not actually used it myself due to the limitations with multiple EQ sessions on the same PC. From my research it looked promising.
Fleiss
Conjurer

Post by Fleiss »

Goranothos wrote:I am amazed at the fact that you can six box, including running two toons on three different PCs. I find it taxes my abilities to just two box on two computers, one toon per computer. Maybe I'm just getting old (well, not maybe, I *am*).
Honestly, after you break past 3 or so and used to having toons in background, it isnt that hard. Understand what each toon does well and do not try to do too much on each toon. I also picked toons that complement each other. None of them require me move them around too much other than pulling, and none of them require to maintain melee range(unless i let my ranger tank). Most situations in EQ are fairly repetitive, so if this is going to happen I will do X and if that happens I will do Y, makes it easier. Your methods may not match those of a normal group but if it works, who cares. If it fails more than it succeeds adapt or realise the content is too much for you to box at that point. I can't do everything boxing but i can knock out a lot. It is still nice to jump into a solid competitent group and relax playing one toon. In the end, like I said before, do what you enjoy.
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

3 box is as high as I ever got and that's with 3 different computers. I hate trying to box multiple instances on the same computer. I just have main computer in front, 2nd to my right and 3rd to my left. Worked fine, but I don't 3 box anymore. I occasionally get asked to box my cleric on raids, but that's about it.