Radiant Orb of the Arch Magus

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
roro

Radiant Orb of the Arch Magus

Post by roro »

The mud pet proc is great, but I'm wondering what would be a good replacement for this weap? Also, should I consider throwing the orb into some bandolier if I do find a replacement?
Trazadone

Re: Radiant Orb of the Arch Magus

Post by Trazadone »

Stealth nerf went in. Rockfall damage was reduced from 1500 to 420. Now it crits for like 1240 instead of 4500 like b4. Any word on why this happened?
https://eq.magelo.com/profile/1776429" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Malleria
Arch Mage

Post by Malleria »

Cause they're morons.

They went in to do a sweeping change to the way procs are distributed in Underfoot and either forgot or didn't realise those weapons were deliberately given a more powerful proc to compensate for the complete lack of melee damage we do.
Goranothos
Arch Mage

Post by Goranothos »

Which would you equip (if you had to choose)?

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=85802" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=86925" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

Absolutely the discarded wand. Agreeable alleviation procs fairly often and gives you back 100 mana per proc, which adds up to quite a bit over a fight. I have an ebon crook with the sympathetic alleviation aug from boomerang tasks in it, and between the two procs I save a lot of mana.
Goranothos
Arch Mage

Post by Goranothos »

Hmmm. In defense of the Orb, it has heroic stats (Discarded Wand does not), and the Orb procs some sort of little elemental that does some damage. Any other opinions?
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

Goranothos wrote:Hmmm. In defense of the Orb, it has heroic stats (Discarded Wand does not), and the Orb procs some sort of little elemental that does some damage. Any other opinions?
If you're really concerned about stats I'd still say the Wand wins. Aside from clairvoyance, disease/magic resists, and those heroic stats the wand is the same or better in pretty much everything else. And the only heroic stats I think we care about are sta and int, which are both +4. I believe I saw elsewhere that below 100 heroic int you're looking at +10 mana per point, and after 100 it's 20 per point. Assuming the same for stamina, you're still getting over 100 HP/Mana from the wand, more than enough to compensate for the lack of heroic stats.

Yes, I've heard the minion proc is pretty decent, but is it enough to cancel out an extra 40-50 mana per tick? Because that's what you'd be getting from the wand procs (assuming 4-5 procs a minute, which from my experience seems about right). It's a matter of opinion, but my opinion is strongly in favor of the wand proc over the minion proc.
Goranothos
Arch Mage

Post by Goranothos »

Thanks for your input. I think a case could be made for either item, but you are probably correct that the discarded wand proc is overall more useful than the orb proc.

What about appearance? Anyone have a screenshot of how either item looks when equipped?
Vardamur

Post by Vardamur »

Goranothos wrote:Thanks for your input. I think a case could be made for either item, but you are probably correct that the discarded wand proc is overall more useful than the orb proc.

What about appearance? Anyone have a screenshot of how either item looks when equipped?
The Orb of the Magus is a staff with a round glowy orb on the end of it.... in PINK. Looks cool other than the color. Wish it was green or blue.
Bastler
Conjurer

Post by Bastler »

Goranothos wrote:What about appearance? Anyone have a screenshot of how either item looks when equipped?
The orb looks horriblye, like a child's toy, which was designed by the 6 year old child of one of the designers. It practically asks you to get a ornamentation for it. Maybe thats SOEs's sneaky way to force us to spent real cash. :twisted: