melee

Anything relating to the physical - equipment, class balance, etc.
Elentarri
Elementalist

melee

Post by Elentarri »

i have a question should mages in raids be meleeing or just pure nuking and sending pet in?
wire
Elementalist

Re: melee

Post by wire »

On 90%+ of the fights in SoD there's no reason to not melee. You can do it safely and generally heal any damage incurred with pots. You want to be close to the mobs anyway, in order to maximize your RS damage.

The key to caster melee is not the actual melee DPS, but instead the damage from procs. I typically load up as many procs as possible: Bale and Brimstone, Emblem of the Violet Order, Symbol of the Planesmasters and Chalandria's Bite XIII. If you're really going crazy, you could also work in things like NDT from Enchanters, Lynx from Shaman or Crystal of Daylight. I haven't come across anything else that isn't expendable and stacks... if anyone has, please post it.

You can also work toward maxing Combat Effects. This was a route I had considered, but the hit to Mana is just too large on all of the +CE augs out there.

With the melee round reset delay removed, you start swinging immediately once your casting has stopped. With maximum spell haste and a typical full burn weave, you're actively casting only around 50% of the time. The rest of the time is spent swinging.

Factor in crits and the fact that weapon procs can be successfully twincast and you've got a reasonable amount of damage showing up.

All in all, it helps but it's not going to make or break your DPS efforts.
Elentarri
Elementalist

Post by Elentarri »

which mobs in SoD and Crystallos should i not melle on this is what my guild is raiding atm
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

You should never be meleeing tbh. Our melee DPs is pathetically bad, and should never be considered even if you are oom. If you are oom you should be sitting to regen mana so you can nuke again, especially b/c most mobs in current and previous content Riposte and generally have AE ramp and will smoke you in one hit.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
wire
Elementalist

Post by wire »

Piemastaj wrote:You should never be meleeing tbh. Our melee DPs is pathetically bad, and should never be considered even if you are oom. If you are oom you should be sitting to regen mana so you can nuke again, especially b/c most mobs in current and previous content Riposte and generally have AE ramp and will smoke you in one hit.
Uhh, ya... if you're constantly taking riposte damage, eating enrage and getting decimated by AE ramp, then you certainly have no business even thinking about melee. But, that's not the case for everyone. I manage to melee well enough while boxing and maxing on DT raids. It shouldn't be an issue for anyone that can concentrate on a single toon. I'd agree that the AE Ramp on a lot of SoF content was very dangerous, but nothing in DT is even close to that level of bad.

As for which mobs to melee, anything that isn't getting flipped around constantly and doesn't have deadly AE ramp or a massive PBAE is fair game. Experiment. The goal is to melee safely without taxing your healers.
Enocha
Magician

Post by Enocha »

You should never be meleeing tbh
Look at Wired's parses and say that. Wired has the top parses in game for any mage I have seen, and most mages are using his guides for DPS (I rarely mellee, because lazy, but statistically it could add ~ 300 dps).
AbyssalMage

Post by AbyssalMage »

Piemastaj wrote:You should never be meleeing tbh. Our melee DPs is pathetically bad, and should never be considered even if you are oom. If you are oom you should be sitting to regen mana so you can nuke again, especially b/c most mobs in current and previous content Riposte and generally have AE ramp and will smoke you in one hit.
If your RL is fine with you swinging at the mob and you have the buff slots to load up on Proc's, then go for it!

But to address some of the things brought up in this post...
Stay at max mellee range to avoid Rampage (if possible), If AoE's eat you, get out of their range (If possible), if your constantly moving to get back in mellee range cause mob warps or push, stop melleeing and just focus on Spell Weave's, and attack from the "rear" arc always.

Medding is usually a good way to get yourself killed, at least for me.
Zacatac
Conjurer

Post by Zacatac »

One of the ways to maximize damage for RS castings is to be close to the mob. And if you are going to be close to the mob, you might as well hit it with a stick while you are there.
But you will soon learn if the mob has some kind of AoE rampage or other effect, and then you need to back off and get out of range. It's not worth taking damage and somebody needing to heal you just so you can melee.
MeatnPotatoes
Elementalist

Post by MeatnPotatoes »

melee if you have a good MT, if they can hold aggro, melee like crazy. you probably have pretty good mana regen by now and ooc regen makes it no big deal to take a 2 min break, most people gotta get up and piss or grab a drik anyways.
plus, procs....they dont add much, but they certainly are nice.. and RS pets put out more damage in their short lives if they dont have to run a mile and a half to get to the fight =P

melee ftw

-MeatnPotatoes
Erolissi Marr Server
Vardamur

Post by Vardamur »

It's not about melee DPS. It's all about proc'ing (weapon and buffs).