Connecting through a proxy

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Mehrlicht

Connecting through a proxy

Post by Mehrlicht »

Hey folks,

Technical issue here. I am trying to launch the patcher through the insane proxy my school uses. Is there a way to mess with my proxy settings? The network is such that it asks me for a username and password everytime I use the internet (whether with Firefox, Skype, or what have you). Any suggestions?
svenalo
Arch Magus

Re: Connecting through a proxy

Post by svenalo »

You cannot change the proxy settings unless you are in their IT department or hack it (in either case they probably would shoot you if you were caught doing it)...however you can make your machine work in a friendly way with the proxy. Under IE, or through the Control Panel, go to Internet Options and set up the connection parameters. There is a wizard in there are it should let you set a username and password to use and other connection parameters, then when you are at the school just use that connection profile.

Note, however, you may hit other problems - it is very common for schools, libraries, hotels, hospitals, and the like to put up firewalls blocking the various ports things like everquest uses. That you won't be able to fix unless again you are in their IT department in which the same as above applies.
Mehrlicht

Post by Mehrlicht »

Thanks for the information. I was messing around with it today and it didn't look promising at all. I guess the cafés will be seeing a lot of me until I get back to the US in May!
Jedis
Administrator

Post by Jedis »

Try http://www.artofping.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I haven't used them in a couple years, but when I did use them, it nicely got around the school's firewall.
Mehrlicht

Post by Mehrlicht »

Wow, that looks like it's too good to be true. Is this a PC only utility or can I run it on Mac OS X? (I play EQ on my Mac laptop, I just boot using Bootcamp into Vista.)
Jedis
Administrator

Post by Jedis »

Windows only
Mehrlicht

Post by Mehrlicht »

Hmm. I don't know what constitutes objectionable stuff that might get me banned, but I'm really curious as to how I might be able to download torrents through my school proxy. I am a member of a private torrent network and I really miss having access to it while I'm overseas. Again, I am more interested in how this can be achieved is OS X than Vista. Any suggestions?