Drape of Shadows

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
Eanelder
Elementalist

Drape of Shadows

Post by Eanelder »

So with today's patch, Mages get an AA which will remove them and thier pet from combat / aggro. However, this is not your typical aggro dropper and if your planing on using it as an "escape" you will need to keep things in mind or you'll just screw yourself over and die.

(Hmmm.... BBCode Lists seem to be broken)

* pets will continue to attack a mob after casting Drape, this will give aggro right back on you, it does not stop their attack or clear pets hate list. You will need to remember to /pet stop before casting it, and /pet back after casting it since the mob will still be on your pets hatelist. (any combination of pet hold, back, stop, whatever should also work)

* If you have any swarm pets active, when you fade you will simply regain it from swarm pet aggro (since you can't stop them). You will need to keep this in mind and make sure there are no swarm pets up.

* its a Pet Targeted AA, so if your pet isnt alive, your not going to be able to cast it. This is obviously a downside since, when your pet dies seems the most logical time to use it.

* since its pet targeted, he will have to be in range. You wont be able to run too far off and cast it in a safe corner. I think its about 200.

* since its pet targeted, he cant be DA, or the effect wont land.

* there is no invis component to Drape. So once you use it if your in aggro range mobs will just reaggro. Mage will need to let pet tank for a bit as they step back to a safe spot (if one exisits) before using it. If your not already carrying invis pots, you might want to think about it.

* its not instant, but a 1 second cast. So cant be cast while your running away like a girl. If you plan on training to a spot so you can drop aggro and then coh, your gonna need keep this in mind, and unless your mobs get stuck in some sort of geometry, I dont see how your going to keep infront of them enough to allow for the cast time.

* Line of sight. I actually forgot to test this, but im pretty sure its not. So you should be able to duck around the corner and cast it.

Don't get me wrong, this is a powerful tool and has a decent 7.5min recast. Just don't think its an auto win button. I recommend playing with it a bit before you try to save your ass with it.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Re: Drape of Shadows

Post by Voragath »

I made a hotkey to help out:

/pet stop
/pet back off
/alt activate 8341
/pause 12
/alt activate 3812

I went with pet stop in case I have ghold on. If you were to replace /pet stop with /ghold and you had ghold on, then ghold would turn off and your pet will just keep attacking the mob lol
Eanelder
Elementalist

Post by Eanelder »

I would put /pet back AFTER the fade.

Once you do "back", the pet starts walking to you (unless hes guarding somewhere) which means the mobs are coming with him and possibly into aggro range.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Yeah, good point. I wasn't thinking of proximity. Was thinking when mob is far away lol In a tight spot, yeah, don't want goner bringing all his friends to the party!
Zatpus
Elementalist

Post by Zatpus »

Thanks, a really nice writeup which covers all you should think about and a readytouse hotkey :)
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

You could add a /pet guard here to the start of the hotkey since you can put a pause and another command in the same line:

/pet guard here
/pet stop
/pet back off
/pause 12,/altactivate 8341
/altactivate 3812

Even though the pause comes before the /altactivate 8341 it actually goes off after it. Anytime you put a pause and other command on the same line the pause goes off last, but must be put first in the line.
Eanelder
Elementalist

Post by Eanelder »

Im not sure i see the need for the /pet guard since /Pet stop keeps the pet where hes at.

Mine is similar to Voragath's, except reordered a bit I as I suggested above:

/pet stop
/alt activate 8341
/pause 11
/pet back off
/alt activate 3812

Which works out to be:
- Pet stops attacking and doesnt move
- Cast Drape of Shadows
- Wait 1.1 seconds for the Drape cast
- Pet clears its hate list (so it wont reattack), and comes to daddy
- cast invis

Biggest problem with this though is that your not sure when Drape is up since it doesnt get greyed out, just like with any other hot key.
Baramos
Conjurer

Post by Baramos »

If done that way how do you get the mob out of camp. Pet will attack, stand there when stopped, fade, then come home with mob at spawn spot. The only way I can see it is if the other mobs in camp ignore the pet and come for the caster. Or if the pet leads off with a stun, say.

Pet choice could be interesting.....

Pet state could be interesting..

So could a long range low level spell ......
Eanelder
Elementalist

Post by Eanelder »

Baramos wrote:If done that way how do you get the mob out of camp. Pet will attack, stand there when stopped, fade, then come home with mob at spawn spot. The only way I can see it is if the other mobs in camp ignore the pet and come for the caster. Or if the pet leads off with a stun, say.
I think your misreading the post , or the topic changed somewhere and I didnt notice.

My Hotkey is to make Drape of Shadows as easy of an escape key as possible. In which case, I DONT want the mob following my pet back to me, I WANT the mob to stay its its current position.

My hotkey definately isn't meant for pet pulling.
Baramos
Conjurer

Post by Baramos »

Yeah it's possible. I read your comment in mage chat last night, and decided this was, thus, an implicit extension of that idea.