Annihilate the Unnatural

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
Fazzadien
Magician

Annihilate the Unnatural

Post by Fazzadien »

So I've finally started using this spell and while it's cool, there's something I'd like to check on with you all.

Occasionally I will get an out of range message on some part of the spell. It's either the 32k damage or the debuff, but I don't know which. Has anyone else had this problem? Seems if I'm much more than just outside of melee range I'll get it.

If some part of the spell is working off a different range than the main part, would this not be considered a bug? There's no clue to the different range in the spell description and I didn't see anything on Lucy saying it should be different.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Re: Annihilate the Unnatural

Post by Piemastaj »

Are you positive that it isn't a resist msg your getting? Because that happens when it doesn't 32k the mob or the debuff part of it does not land on the mob, if that is the case then it is working as normal. I dont think I have ever gotten an out of range thing pop-up when I am using that spell, granted I dont look for it either. But I do see a lot of your target resisted this portion of the spell yada yada. So, make sure you double check your data to see if it isn't just a resist on part of the spell. If it is an out of range then yeah something is messed up because just outside of melee range should not be out of range for any part of annihilate. Hope that helps. :D

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Fazzadien
Magician

Post by Fazzadien »

I'm absolutely sure it's an out of range message. I've seen the "would not take effect" message when I'm using on mobs I've already hit with the Malo line, haven't seen any resists but it was definitely an out of range message I was seeing. The mobs aren't moving while I'm hitting them with it, so it's not a case of extreme range and it being knocked to range 201 in the instant the spell lands.

I have had it happen probably 10 times in the last day, each time I was well within range but far enough away that I was wasting about a second on the RS casts for it to engage.

Edit - here's a screenshot of the message as it happened a few minutes ago in Katta.
Last edited by Fazzadien on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

It is the resistances part of the spell, ie: the debuff. According to allah it only has a 50 range of landing on your mob, whereas the 32k has a 1k range and Annihilate has a 200 range to land on target. So in all honesty it isn't that big of a deal, but it is a MAGIC debuff. Whereas malo does not debuff magic, and Annihilate is a magic nuke so probably try and nuke closer to the target if you can. It will also help with RS if your closer, you should get more DPs out of RS then.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Fazzadien
Magician

Post by Fazzadien »

Thanks, Pie, that's the info I was looking for. I know I should be a bit closer for RS, blame it on laziness really. Good to know it's the debuff with the super short range and not the blast, but I'll know better to get in close now for full effect.

(No idea where my screenshot went...)
Aither
Elementalist

Post by Aither »

Piemastaj wrote: So in all honesty it isn't that big of a deal, but it is a MAGIC debuff. Whereas malo does not debuff magic, and Annihilate is a magic nuke so probably try and nuke closer to the target if you can.
The malo line of spells does indeed debuff magic, as well as cold, fire, and poison.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Wow yeah idk what I was thinking, it does debuff magic aswell as the other resists. :oops:

Zacatac
Conjurer

Post by Zacatac »

Fazzadien wrote:Occasionally I will get an out of range message on some part of the spell. It's either the 32k damage or the debuff, but I don't know which. Has anyone else had this problem? Seems if I'm much more than just outside of melee range I'll get it.
I believe you might be getting this from Theft of Essence AA. The AA gives you a chance to proc a heal/buff on your pet each time you cast the AtA nuke, but you are too far away from the pet for it to land.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Theft of Essence has a 200 range on it. Pretty sure it was the debuff from Annihilate.

Fazzadien
Magician

Post by Fazzadien »

Yeah, I'm 100% sure it wasn't ToE, as that landed several times at the same time as the out of range message.