UF - looking for advice

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Kassiandra

UF - looking for advice

Post by Kassiandra »

Apart from standard upgrades til stats and focii what should I look for in UF (group game)?

Maybe someone could explain the symp augs to me - which are they and what do they do?
How are our UF spells?
Any interesting clickies or anything else I just should not miss?

Any advice is most welcome.
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Re: UF - looking for advice

Post by Merlaina »

Sympathetic procs have a chance of doing something whenever you cast a spell (usually DD spells). For example they can add another small nuke on top of your normal one, or restore some mana, effectively reducing the spell cost.

I think the mage community in general agrees that the most useful are the sympathetic alleviation/agreeable alleviation items/augs. These restore 100 mana (for the rank 1 versions) up to 250 mana (for the rank VII ones). You can get a rank VI aug (225 mana) from the gold token vendor for 30 gold tokens acquired in boomerang missions. There is a rank VII aug that drops from fungalbloom in fungal forest. There are various rank I and II items available, most notably the Ebon Crook (cooling chambers), Crescent Staff of the Priestess (Convorteum), and the Staff of Infinite Facets (Pellucid Grotto). I personally have an Ebon Crook with the boomerang aug and it saves me a noticeable amount of mana.

Some of our spells are good, while others are just ok. Thaumatize Pet is the only real must have, as it give a decent mana regen boost every couple of minutes (you get around 800-1K mana back from casting it, give or take). Arcane distellect is also helpful for boosting swarm pet and group pet damage.

There may well be some nice clickies (I think I saw there is a circle of mana clicky somewhere) but not many that I know of. Also the group robe has a pet proc click, but I don't have that yet so I can't comment as to how much it adds.
Kassiandra

Post by Kassiandra »

Merlaina wrote:Sympathetic procs have a chance of doing something whenever you cast a spell (usually DD spells). For example they can add another small nuke on top of your normal one, or restore some mana, effectively reducing the spell cost.

I think the mage community in general agrees that the most useful are the sympathetic alleviation/agreeable alleviation items/augs. These restore 100 mana (for the rank 1 versions) up to 250 mana (for the rank VII ones). You can get a rank VI aug (225 mana) from the gold token vendor for 30 gold tokens acquired in boomerang missions. There is a rank VII aug that drops from fungalbloom in fungal forest. There are various rank I and II items available, most notably the Ebon Crook (cooling chambers), Crescent Staff of the Priestess (Convorteum), and the Staff of Infinite Facets (Pellucid Grotto). I personally have an Ebon Crook with the boomerang aug and it saves me a noticeable amount of mana.

Some of our spells are good, while others are just ok. Thaumatize Pet is the only real must have, as it give a decent mana regen boost every couple of minutes (you get around 800-1K mana back from casting it, give or take). Arcane distellect is also helpful for boosting swarm pet and group pet damage.

There may well be some nice clickies (I think I saw there is a circle of mana clicky somewhere) but not many that I know of. Also the group robe has a pet proc click, but I don't have that yet so I can't comment as to how much it adds.
Thank you for the reply. Do the symp augs stack? You mention having both a rank 6 item and and rank I-II item but does that matter or does only the higher rank apply?
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

The way i understand it they both have a chance to proc, and whichever makes the check with the higher amount takes precedence. I usually get around 6 procs per minute each, so around 1950 mana saved a minute.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Your only allowed to proc 1 weapon effect/aug per cast. If you have all 3 mana augs out there currently that gives you a 99% chance to proc 1 of those augs each cast which is smurf near every cast. It depends on rng what aug/effect will proc though per cast which sux. So in a way yes they all do stack, but only 1 of them will have a chance to proc per cast.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
nylrem
Elementalist

Post by nylrem »

Piemastaj wrote:Your only allowed to proc 1 weapon effect/aug per cast. If you have all 3 mana augs out there currently that gives you a 99% chance to proc 1 of those augs each cast which is smurf near every cast. It depends on rng what aug/effect will proc though per cast which sux. So in a way yes they all do stack, but only 1 of them will have a chance to proc per cast.
Definitely not correct on the 99% chance. I have all 3, Darkened Gem of the Leviathan, Transcendent Fungus, and Urgak's Soothing Stone, and all together, they equal about 60% chance to proc from each nuke. I believe it's 99% chance of the proc line to fire, with that line having a max 10 procs a minute or something, but it definitely does not fire that proc 99% of all detrimental spells for us.

Even still, these are by far the best augs you can get as a magician... BY FAR. So much so, that if you only have group gear, you should get an older groupable shield and range item to put them in, even if is DoDH or whatever you can solo. They save by far that much mana.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

You have proof of this? Make an Audio trigger for "you feel refreshed". It goes off smurf near every cast if you have all 3 augs. Less if you do have a fire proc aug, but all in the same its over 60%.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

Note there are two message: "you feel refreshed" and "you feel better". I think the first is for sympathetic alleviation and the latter is for agreeable alleviation.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

A dev stated that they have a procrate of 6ppm, reflecting a fully aa'd and CE'd warrior. Ignore chance because it's meaningless. If you have 3, you should be seeing, on average of lots of casts, 18 procs if all three are firing and you can squeeze off that many nukes in a minute.
Kassiandra

Post by Kassiandra »

How do I go about using all 3 in group gear though? Arent the augs type 4 8 and hence dont fit in group gear except for the primary slot?