Raid DPS - How can we fix it?

A home for posts concerning previous expansions.
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Re: Raid DPS - How can we fix it?

Post by Sillaen »

Magebaggery wrote: Overall I would think the pet needs a slight nerf, and mage spell power needs improvement.
The above piece is the only thing about your post I outright reject. Our main pet already accounts for way less than 20% of our dps and it's absolutely blasphemous to even hint at the possibility of a nerf.

However, unlike most here I don't dislike the idea of a slider scale or even a pet suicide if it's done right and the resulting dps from it is adequate. I must warn you though that these kinds of suggestions have been debated to death and usually met with great hostility on here.
Calebe
Arch Convoker

Post by Calebe »

Playing a mage means you never sacrifice pet survivability for DPS or lessen it in any way for some other end. We all know what happens, the pet is nurfed and the gain is minimal or non existent and we lose/lose.

Please stop asking for anything to weaken the power of a pet. A mage nuking while the pet tanks and holds aggro is nothing new, in fact it is what we did from level 1 on. It is the way a mage solo's, and it is the way a mage works in a group if you need to emergency off tank. Never will I support the weaking of a pet for any reason even for a raid burst DPS, because I know it won't stay that way in the future. The pet nurf will stay, the benefit will fade and we lose, and the grouping mage or soloing mage as usual loses the most. No thanks, take the pet nurf idea's and I know you mean well but forget them.

The one idea you had though could be modified into a very useful idea. We need a /RS pet get lost hotkey. I doubt a soloing mage or grouping would use it a lot, but I can see instances where it might be handy. In the raid game it would be a really nice addition. It is no DPS boost, it can help though if a rs runs off to a mob that aoe'd and is a mob you should ignore. You just send it away. Useful but in no way a DPS boost, but one I would support.

As for a suicide idea for our pet for 50k? Less then one nuke? No thanks. Once again you don't kill a pet to gain DPS. You use a pet to gain DPS.

Calebe
Last edited by Calebe on Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
qibrme
Conjurer

Post by qibrme »

Calebe wrote:The one idea you had though could be modified into a very useful idea. We need a /RS pet get lost hotkey. I doubt a soloing mage or grouping would use it a lot, but I can see instances where it might be handy. In the raid game it would be a really nice addition. It is no DPS boost, it can help though if a rs runs off to a mob that aoe'd and is a mob you should ignore. You just send it away. Useful but in no way a DPS boost, but one I would support.
Calebe

:lol: WHAT THE HEY Jim :lol: So you only support it when this guy repeats my 2 month old idea? :lol:

http://www.eqmagetower.com/forums/viewt ... way#p19052
qibrme wrote:Make a /pet go away AA for swarm And RS pets

Sued...
by qibrme
Tue May 10, 2011 6:38 pm

Forum: General
Topic: new stuff
Last edited by qibrme on Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calebe
Arch Convoker

Post by Calebe »

It was the only thing in his post I could find that would have a use, but it was not for DPS but weakening a pet for any reason? He can't play a mage as a main and seriously suggest weakening a pet for any reason. If you suggested it first Sued great idea. I still support it.

See you in game tonight.

Calebe
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Also, the devs didn't say our pet power couldn't increase, just its dps; actually, not even that was said. What was said, paraphrasing here, is that mages need dps and that the pet is not the way to go for that*. Get it straight. Mage pets are not OP and only dumbass, non-mage, hysteria-mongers on eqlive seem to think so.

Before you decide to nerf one for another, think of another class that has to smurf near destroy or completely limit themselves in one main aspect to gain a boost in another. I think you'll find yourself quickly changing your mind.

*This can have 2 possible meanings: Mage pets have great dps as they are; or that the boost to mage dps through pets is just not a very good delivery method. Okay, it can be 3 possible meanings if you count the two together as a separate meaning but I never said it could only be one or the other =P
Malleria
Arch Mage

Post by Malleria »

They won't boost pet DPS because it's essentially free. You don't even have to worry about positioning the pet most of the time, it's just send pet and forget. They want us to work for our DPS.
nahseev

Post by nahseev »

Magebaggery wrote:...---Pet Based Raid DPS Ideas---
Idea 1: Weaken the Pet, Debuff the Mob
A pet buff like Iceflame line, does not stack with Iceflame line (pick one or the other!)
--Reduce Pet Mitigation by 50%
--Add Proc: Elemental Weakness...
The idea of sacrificing defense for increased offense with pets shouldn't be tied to buffs. We have multiple pets and this is where that slider of defense vs offense should be emphasized. I just wish there was even greater distinction between the pets compared to what we have now

Where we should rank in raid dps is debatable. I disagree with people saying we are only dps on raids but I think we should be able to top a parse given the right circumstances and at the same time given the wrong circumstances be very limited. It was stated that the increase in raid and burst dps should not come from the pet. I think the pets are well balanced atm for the group game and because of that should be left alone. That said, as a mag I can't ignore my pet and would want any new future ability or spells that address this issue to be linked to (not from) our pet. Just giving us bigger nukes or quicker casts blurs our identity.
Last edited by nahseev on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Magebaggery
Trial Member

Post by Magebaggery »

Now that I have folks discussing.

Lets Determine as a Community what mages DO want.

From the above discussion we have determined to leave the pet as is. And Devs don't want to increase Pet DPS, so that is dead.

We have determined that giving bigger / faster casting nukes blurs what we are (more wizzy like?)

So without any improvement on nukes, speed or dmg wise, and without being able to consider the pet... we as mages want nothing but to wallow in our own pot?

Lets try to be more realistic, the only ways to increase DPS is to have larger nukes, things that modify our nukes, or things that speed up our nukes, or things to fill in the gaps between our cast times (some sort of DoT, Rain, or other damage type that occurs WHILE we are casting our bolt or spear)

Let me throw out my ideas for increasing raid DPS, without regards to solo or group play power.

Activated AA - Elemental Catastrophe
Consumes all remaining mana (10,000 minimum?) to summon a big honking Flame Dragon. Stays for 2 minutes fighting, then explodes showering the enemy in gouts of flame. (big DD on death if its still fighting after 2 min, otherwise if mob dies it desummons self)

Make Single Target versions of Rain spells. These do not get utilized often because of AE concerns, and the 1 less dmg wave when they do AE. Rains have the ability to fill in some of the gaps in dps due to recurrent damage, this offsets the cast time of our nukes, as long as the rain is not a super long cast itself.

Fire Pet Buff Activated AA- Elemental Mimicry
Your Fire Elemental Mimics Every Fire Based Direct Damage Spell you cast for the next 30 seconds.

Activated AA - Overburn
When activated this Ability causes all Fire based Direct Damage spells you cast to have a chance of an additional Damage over Time effect.. This ability drains mana continuously while activated. (this one I am borrowing from the rangers, something like their Poison Arrows type buff, they lose mana while it is up, its a fast recast (2 min recast, 3 min buff), but it adds a proc, if we base it similarly we could see something around a 5k proc + 1400 DoT) Think of it as a little extra oomph on your fireball, then the mob catches on fire and burns for 18 seconds.)

Any thoughts?
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

nahseev wrote: That said, as a mag I can't ignore my pet and would want any new future ability or spells that address this issue to be linked to (not from) our pet. Just giving us bigger nukes or quicker casts blurs our identity.
Tuli, that you? If not, you sound like a Tuli parrot. Logically show the community how this is true. I can show you how it isn't: druids having insta-cast, group heal, pr's, and huge heals does not make them clerics. Being able to mez a group of mobs has not turned bards into chanters. Having a pet and dots has not turned shamans into necros. Your turn.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Mageb, you should read other topics before posting on a topic (dps). We have agreed we need dps increases via nukes. Also devs said they wuld like to increase nuke and pet dps.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams