tech question

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Firen Fury
Arch Convoker

tech question

Post by Firen Fury »

a friend in my guild has a serious problem... she cant hold chat channels for more than 5 minutes or so. (shes a cleric, she NEEDS them... this HAS to get fixed).

i dont have all of her technical infos yet (ive asked her to email me a dxdiag statement) but if anyone has any ideas why this might be happening, id love to read them. i dont even know what direction to go yet.

she zones in, has all her channels... within about 5 minutes, the chat service becomes unavailable to her. she just re-installed EQ and no help. this seems to be the only problem shes having with her computer at all...

shes on dial up, or at least was (she may have recently gotten cable, i forget... but i'll find out)... shes not running any virus protection or extra firewalls that she knows of while shes in EQ.

when i get more infos, i'll post them... but im mostly looking for a direction to start in right now... what should i be looking for? what could possibly cause this? when i post the infos, what infos should i post, so i dont have to post the whole dxdiag report?

im ok (not horrible, not a genius) at figuring this stuff out usually, but this one, so far, has me totally stumped... but i dont really know how the chat channels work either...

thanks in advance for any help offered :)
Image . Image . Image
The 'Preview' Button is Your Friend
Masupilami

Re: tech question

Post by Masupilami »

I had exactly the same problem as you describe.
Well my Setup was lil more complex with Cable modem a WLan router and some switches but symptom was same. I wasnt able to have chatchannels stable for longer time. (Thanks god i m not raiding anymore =)

Well i read a lot in EQ Forums to get solutions for this problem and gave up. There is always the same guess of the eq techs. They said, that there must be a problem with the ISP. The ISP has to open some Port ranges. Well i refused to call my ISP for get EQ Chatchannels running.. i just lifed with that issue. (even it was annoying)
Half a year after the start of this issue my Broadband router blew up (well it just refused to work anymore *g*) so i bought a new one. After setting everything up i was positiv surprised, that my problems were gone. Since that moment i was able to have stable chatchannels again for unlimited time. I just get soometimes the Universalchat is unavailable message and i think if i get the message there is really a issue with the server not with my client.

So the problem may be a network component like switch router or modem. Maybe your friend can sitch some components with one that he/she knows its working fine with EQ. As i remember i hasnt have a firewall installed nor any firewall activ on the router that i switched. The Problem was with a SMC Barricade router with WLAN (cant remember the exact Name) Now i run a Lynksys WLan router with n-Standart. WRT..something the one that looks like a spaceship.

Maybe it helps you to track down the problem of your friend.

Regards
Masu
Firen Fury
Arch Convoker

Post by Firen Fury »

hmm that might be very helpful... i'll have to see exactly what kinda connection shes using now.

thank you :)
Image . Image . Image
Firen Fury
Arch Convoker

Post by Firen Fury »

ok heres where im at...

shes using a 3g stick (need to find out make and model number, and the service shes using).

it looks to me like when she zones, it opens the ports just fine, but after a few minutes, the cell tower sees shes got extra ports open and closes them.

this is way over my head tho... heres a couple links that might be helpful to someone who understands this stuff

eq tech boards

more info maybe

linux info (she doesnt use linux, but maybe windows has similar options? i cant find any info on that tho)

so im thinking what she needs to do is call her ISP and ask them to leave ports 1024-6000 open for her... but i doubt they'll do that.

is there anything else i can tell her to try?
Image . Image . Image
Danille

Post by Danille »

Is she using Vista by chance?
Firen Fury
Arch Convoker

Post by Firen Fury »

oh i never thought to ask... i'll ask her tomorrow when i see her :)
Image . Image . Image