Pet Pulling

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Pug
Trial Member

Pet Pulling

Post by Pug »

Hi all, just back from an extended break and really appreciate you guys reviving this site, it has been my bible since I started my magician in 2001 :).

Question is .... can we still pet pull, the type where we send the pet in and call it back, as long as the pet stays alive you get a single.

Thanks
Pug
Danille

Re: Pet Pulling

Post by Danille »

Welcome back. A good time to be a mage.

Green pet pulling was replaced over time by two new AA's called "Compainion's Necessity" and "Drape of Shadows"

Drape of Shadows is a mage fade. You can use your pet to pull and when you press this AA it provides you with a 100% chance to fade both the mage and the pet. You can make a hotkey for this so that it works quite well. Refresh time is 7 minutes and 30 secs. I use:

/pet stop
/pet target
/pause 12./alt activate 8341
/pet back off
/alt activate 3812

(the 3812) is an invis aa so the mobs don't reaggro you if you happen to be in aggro range. It is just about flawless.

Companion of Necessity AA summons a huge pet that uses the fire pet model. The CoN pet will attack any mob and till stop it in its tracks and memblur it too. It is completly unresistable and will both mez and memblur up to two mobs at the same time provided that the pet hits it at least one time. Refresh time is 10 min

By alternating the two aa's above you have a downtime of around 4 minutes which is not as good as the old GPP technique, but it is also not an exploit.

Green pet pulling died when they added a new out of combat hp/mana regen to shorten those horrendus old fashioned med times for all players. Yeah they had left it in the game for years.
Pug
Trial Member

Post by Pug »

Thanks for that, I knew about Companion of necessity but not about drape of shadows, will look into that and that hotkey, thanks.

Pug
Bastler
Conjurer

Post by Bastler »

The stupid thing with Drape is, it only works if you pet is up and pretty close to you. Last point isnt such a problem with instant pet summon AA.
Goranothos
Arch Mage

Post by Goranothos »

We should also mention that you should not buy CoN rank 2. I forget why. :-/
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

1. Some have issues with CON rank 2 not working as well as rank 1...I have CON 2 and haven't had any issues though.
2. Make sure to put your cleric merc on passive if you are using one during the Drape trick - I have had it try to heal the pet, get aggro, and the mobs subsequently then reaggro.
3. You also need to have pet hold on for the Drape trick - if the mob happens to get off a dot or nuke in the gap, the pet will merrily go back and attack.
4. Don't have a swarm/drake/RS up during the Drape trick - if the mob happens to do some kind of AE or something that hits you, they will run off and attack and make the whole Drape thing useless.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

The reason CoN does not work at rank 2 is that the pet must live long enough to cast it's memblur. Rank 2 extends the time it is up but nothing else so it runs the risk of being killed by the mob before it can cast its memblur. It is possible it can stay up long enough but it really depends on the mob or mobs beating on it. If you are using it to split 2 mobs, maybe 3, it'll probably be fine.
Stephen51

Post by Stephen51 »

Danille wrote:Welcome back. A good time to be a mage.

Green pet pulling was replaced over time by two new AA's called "Compainion's Necessity" and "Drape of Shadows"

Drape of Shadows is a mage fade. You can use your pet to pull and when you press this AA it provides you with a 100% chance to fade both the mage and the pet. You can make a hotkey for this so that it works quite well. Refresh time is 7 minutes and 30 secs. I use:

/pet stop
/pet target
/pause 12./alt activate 8341
/pet back off
/alt activate 3812

(the 3812) is an invis aa so the mobs don't reaggro you if you happen to be in aggro range. It is just about flawless.

Companion of Necessity AA summons a huge pet that uses the fire pet model. The CoN pet will attack any mob and till stop it in its tracks and memblur it too. It is completly unresistable and will both mez and memblur up to two mobs at the same time provided that the pet hits it at least one time. Refresh time is 10 min

By alternating the two aa's above you have a downtime of around 4 minutes which is not as good as the old GPP technique, but it is also not an exploit.

Green pet pulling died when they added a new out of combat hp/mana regen to shorten those horrendus old fashioned med times for all players. Yeah they had left it in the game for years.
this isnt working for me. Is it to be typed as is, or is there some standard I'm missing that all mage/eq player knows (ah well when I say '.' everyone knows it means new line, pfft).
I'm no expert by any means, help would be appreciated.
Danille

Post by Danille »

Make sure you have the following buttons pressed down in your pet command window:

follow
ghold
focus
regroup
spellh (if your using an earth pet cause the root will cause the aggro to stay on)

I checked what you typed and it looks perfect.
Stephen51

Post by Stephen51 »

The part that doesnt seem to be working is the pet fade bit, its not casting. Is there anywhere I can check the codes, or should I make the pause longer?