Question about Blazing Stance and /pet sit

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
Adonhiram
Conjurer

Question about Blazing Stance and /pet sit

Post by Adonhiram »

Hello fellow mages,

After a couple of days jumping at new into the game (how could I stay three years without this, oh my...), I have two specific questions if you could enlighten me :

1° I wanted to play around with my new level 83 fire pet, and, as I was used to it before I quitted, I casted Blazing Stance Rk. III on it to make it the rooted rocket launcher we all liked to some extend. Surprisingly I got the message "You target does not meet the requirements etc.". Does it mean this spell line has been abandonned and you cannot cast it anymore on post-80 fire pets ? Whats the correct way of using a fire pet nowadays then please ?

2° I felt a bit confused by the way the new petcommands work. I have read here on the board some interesting posts about the new toggle form of /pet hold or ghold, and about that /pet regroup command (very handy for your hotkey in combination with shared health). But I could not find any info about the way /pet sit works today. Before I left, when I was in a dungeon or in an instance, I often used to put pet in /pet sit mode ( and then using a Summon Companion clicky to move the pet around to avoid pathing issues etc.), so pet stayed where the mob was slain. It was also easier for repositioning with the relocation AA than in /pet guard or /pet follow mode.

But something has changed in the way /pet guard here and /pet sit works, and I cannot figure what exactly : it seems I cannot use /pet sit as a full command anymore, it conflicts with /pet guard here which stays yellowed out in my pet UI when I press /pet sit. And pet tends to go back to the point it stood before, not just stopping any movement exactly where iot slained the last mob.

Can someone maybe explain me what changed here ? How can I ask my pet to stand still after last kill without following me nor guardind a specific spot (I don't want it to return to guard spot, but to stand still after fight) ?
svenalo
Arch Magus

Re: Question about Blazing Stance and /pet sit

Post by svenalo »

Fire pets self root once they are told to engage.

As for the pet sit part of the question, I can't answer because I don't think I have ever used the pet in that manner.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Pet sit has become defunct. Wherever you tell your pet to guard, he will always return to that spot after the kill. I'm not aware of any conflict with sit and guard so I can't comment on that. I'm not sure what kind of positioning you are discussing either. Why would you park your pet then push him around with relocation AND a summoning clicky? Most mages now just want the pet on the back side of the mob and just use companion's relocation. If you are continually pulling a mob to a certain spot, use pet guard and the mob will run right past the pet and your pet will ignore the mob (if it's on hold or greater hold). Once the mob is in position, use pet attack and he'll now be on the back of the mob. If you are wanting the pet to stay where the mob dies then click pet guard sometime during the fight and he'll stay there when the mob dies.

The regroup command is a toggle that does not interfere with anything else. If you tell your pet to guard a spot, but say he's now out of range and you need to cast on him, then hit regroup and he'll run to you, cast on him, click regroup again to turn it off, and he'll run back to his guard spot. This to me sounds like what you are trying to accomplish and part of the reason for regroup's existence.
Adonhiram
Conjurer

Post by Adonhiram »

Thanks for your replies, so no need for Blazing Stance anymmore if the pet self-roots.

Regarding the /pet sit command, I regret it has become defunct. I think it was easier to use the old /pet sit, which was a permanent state till the pet was told to either /pet follow or /pet guard, for moving through an instance. You just had to tell your pet to /pet sit once and then Summon Companion it from fight spot to fight spot. Regarding your explanations, I need now to click /pet guard at the end of each fight if I wanna obtain the same result.

Of course, it is not a biggie :-)

I also used /pet sit on enraging mobs right before I issued the /pet hold command (which was not a toggle three years ago) on enrage, to be sure pet would stay at the mob and not come to me or to its guard spot. But guildies told me there are no enraging mobs anymore, ouh là là :shock:
Calebe
Arch Convoker

Post by Calebe »

I use pet sit to make the pet stop moving where ever it happens to be. In a Convortium raid the last event if even a pet or an eye nears the mob it gets aggro and will warp the raid. So I just /pet sit. we all move to engage, I summon the pet to me, and tell it to follow. Sure I could use pet guard here, but sit works also.

Calebe
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Oh, yeah, pet stop will make your pet stand there too, kinda like sit, but he will hold all aggro. That means he'll stand there dumbfounded but as soon as you turn stop off, he'll head for whatever is on his hate list. I think guard and stop will bump each other but I'm not positive because I haven't used pet stop in over a year, heh.
Bastler
Conjurer

Post by Bastler »

Hmm I use /pet sit and relocate companion to push my pet around in certain places.

Lets say there are mobs around a corner out of pet aggro range. So I use /pet sit, relocate him to a position which is in range. /pet guard then I let him attack and call him back which makes him move to the spot he was pushed to, giving other group members time to do their stuff.
Adonhiram
Conjurer

Post by Adonhiram »

Thanks for your explanations, fellow mages :)

I probably understood something wrong regarding the newer /pet regroup command. I understood by reading your comments (here and on another thread), that /pet regroup would suspend any other order and make pet come to its owner (for rebuffing for example, or, for being in range for Shared Health). When my pet is guarding a spot, /pet regroup does nothing, pet does not come to me, is that normal ? From my understanding, the regroup command would temporarily "suspend" the guard mode, and after pressing again the regroup command, it would go back to its guard spot.

Did I misunderstand how it works ?
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

You have it right. Regroup is supposed to always make your pet come back. If he isn't, it's a bug =(