HP or AC?

Anything relating to the physical - equipment, class balance, etc.
Sampi

HP or AC?

Post by Sampi »

Hi all,

I have a Form of Endurance VIII clicky that increases my HP from 52670 to 53390 an increase of 720.

I also have a Form of Defense IX clicky that increases my AC from 5367 to 5420 an increase of 53.

But i can't have both on at the same time.

So which is better?

My guess is HP because of the AC cap but I'm willing to be corrected.

Thanks for the help.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Re: HP or AC?

Post by Piemastaj »

I prefer AC.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Malleria
Arch Mage

Post by Malleria »

HP without a doubt. AC won't save you against spell damage, which is 99% of the damage mages take at the mid-high end. Combined with the fact that a) the return on AC for silkies is small, and b) most mobs hit so hard and so frequently you're dead anyway, AC has very little value.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

In raids maybe, but not in groups. You take A LOT more melee dmg then spell dmg in groups. And AC even for us does help out, it is minor but it helps out. Always a firm believer in AC is law.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

I thought spell AC was pure AC no matter what. Is this not true?

And I agree with the others, it's dependent on your situation.
Malleria
Arch Mage

Post by Malleria »

The only 'pure' ac is from shields. (Possibly the AAs that give +AC too, but not 100% sure on that).

I disagree though even in the group game. Even soloing I rarely get hit. If you're being consistently hit over and over (like a tank) the effect of AC will be very clear, but when you're taking 1 or 2 hits and then regening to full before the next mob, well, what difference did it really make?
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

I generally get hit every pull or when splitting or when I am putting Ruinous on the mob. Taking a hit or 2 trying to position a mob is worth it to me, which is why I like AC. I am also normally the puller for most of my groups heh. It depends on your playstyle.

Mendoros07
Magician

Post by Mendoros07 »

The good thing is that you can use your form of endurance and prismatic ward clickies so you can at least stack those for some added AC.
qibrme
Conjurer

Post by qibrme »

Piemastaj wrote:I generally get hit every pull or when splitting or when I am putting Ruinous on the mob. Taking a hit or 2 trying to position a mob is worth it to me, which is why I like AC. I am also normally the puller for most of my groups heh. It depends on your playstyle.
Really?
Wow, I only get hit in solo situations when i move to the mob my pet is tanking because i want a left over swarm, RS or flappy to agro on the new mob so as to not loose their remaining DPS.

RS has enough range to cast the spell and get to the incoming mob -- that i pulled with malo -- before the mob hits me. And if i was slow on the RS cast, I just keep my cursor over the /pet attack button and send pet before the mob gets to me.
Can use a low level 4 nuke or bolt to pull if more range is needed.

Just sounds strange getting hit every pull, but i don't know all your circumstances. You might be doing some monk FD skilz type pulling.

I vote for HP's over AC for silk classes in either group or raid settings.

Sued...
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

I meant that RS as in getting hit so he attacks the mob. And when your trying to position in b/t groups of mobs for a group to kill you do tend to take hits a lot in certain camps like MC by the puppets. Especially trying to split mobs and such. I am an AC whore so I dont mind taking hits all the time, I have a cleric merc for a reason. IMHO for grouping AC wins everytime, raids HP because you really dont get hit unless your wiping.