Hmm, wonder what's been implimented.

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Tornt

Hmm, wonder what's been implimented.

Post by Tornt »

I found an email I had saved when I sent it in to the devs many years ago for ideas on spells/AA's. I haven't played in a few years, but I still have to wonder which of these have been implemented since and which were just forgotten about. I think it's cool to look at past wants and future haves/needs. This email was sent September 6th, 2006.
Heres a list of the spells that the magicians I talked with suggested.

This list is in NO particular order.

1. Pet Panalopy of Vie -- This is personally my favorite idea in the entire list. The idea of this is to allow our pet to survive a bit better in a raid, group and solo aspect. We were looking at about 10% damage mitigation upwards to about 10-20k damage that lasts around 30 minutes. The reasoning behind this is that our pet is weak in AE rampage, this helps remedy that and also gives our pet the strength needed to hold off that add that comes wandering in at times. The reason for the high numbers is because it IS for a pet only, and not a PC, so the mitigation it much lower than normal.

2. Chromatic Resist Pet Weapons -- This comes with the concern that there are going to be places where certain procs are going to be resisted from our pets. Pet weapon DPS is pretty signifigant for us and we'd love to allow our pets to do their full potential all the time.

3. Cross-raid Call of the Hero -- This might not actually be a spell request persay, but, for mages it's pretty annoying to have to create new groups to Call of the hero someone in your raid that's across the zone. This is another request that'll make the CoH part of the raid go smoother.

4. Resist Modifier Bolt -- Our bolts are plain and simple resisted more than any other spell we have. It's a trade-off we've had for a long time and seems to only get worse as we get new bolts. We'd love to have a bolt that has a resist modifier.

5. Burnout upgrade/aura -- With a new pet haste, we'd love to see it turned into a type of aura for pets. But with this aura we'd LOVE to see VELOCITY added as a string. Our pets are very slow compared to people running at Run Speed 5-8. Please add this to one of our pet buffs and not as a single buff. We already have quite a few buffs to keep on our pets ;)

6. New Elemental Siphon! -- With this, we'd like to see a pretty decent increase in the mana regen we get. Being as it doesn't stack with necromancer mind wrack, it would be nice to completely make the spell stand out from Mind wrack and give us a chance to not need a necro in the group for that mana. Currently magicians have the worst mana regen of the caster group, I see this spell possibly being a remedy to bring us up to par.

7. Self-mod rod -- Yea, a mod rod. The reason we want it self is so that we don't obselete the previous spell and so we don't have to spend a large amount of mana on other people. With this, we'd LOVE to see a greatly increase ratio. Something around the lines off 1.5k mana for 3k HP or there around for 2k mana cost with 3 charges or so?

8. New PBAE -- We haven't had one since LDoN, it's time for a new one! Bring us back up to par and let us AE in style!

9. Pet Toy Package -- We have gone a long time having to summon each individual item one by one. This has grown tedious, and this is only a request to allow us to be a bit more lazy!

That's all the spell ideas I have currently. I'm sure more may come up over the course of beta and I'll update you if I get anymore. Thanks for having a look ;)

-----

AA ideas! Some ideas here are pretty great and I hope time is considered into these. Again, this is list in no particular order.

1. Master of the Elements -- Combine all 4 of the Class ability Illusions into one. Take off the levitate effect from the Air version though so it's useable in every zone. This will give us more Mana regen, HP, spell casting level and resists. Being as we have come so close to being demi-gods I see no reason why we shouldn't be able to meld all 4 elements into ourselves for a ultimate self buff similar to wizards familiars. Prereqs would include having all 4 singular masteries max'd and possibly all the Heart of lines max'd as well.

2. Frenzy Burnout Alternative -- We have a AA that currently makes our pet do more damage. What we would like to see is possibly a defensive style version of this spell on the same timer. This could buff our pets HP by 5k, AC by 500 and Avoidance by 50 or something (VERY rough numbers) to allow the pet to survive for a short while. The duration would be similar to FBO in that it lasts 1 minute. This could help mages get out of tight situations.

3. AE Rampage Immunity for pets -- An AA that possibly puts the pet at max melee range at all times via a /pet rampage command or similar. This would allow our pets to survive in a raid atmosphere much much more. Currently our pets die on almost every AE Rampage mob that there is, even if the mage is chaining Bulwark of Calliav and Pet heal.

4. Magicians Last Command -- An AA to control our swarm pets. Allow us to tell them to attack a mob after the first was killed. Currently our pets just kinda follow us if the mob they attack has died, unless we get ourselves hit. Control over them would be nice ;)

5. 10th spell gem -- Our spell list has grown quite large, as has most classes. 10th spell gem would be very appreciated. Being nearly a hybrid class, we have many different spells we need loaded at all times.

6. Pet's Ultimate Berserk -- An AA to triple pet damage. This would put our normal pet on the level of raging servant or greater. A short DPS burst from our pet to make his damage do three times as much which would help out pet DPS immensely ;)

7. Pet Agility/durability upgrades -- In GoD we had Pet agility and durability introduced to us. We'd like to see this line continued to give our pet more survivability.

8. Spell Casting Reinforcement -- Magicians have plenty of clickies, and plenty of pet buff spells. You can make this AA work for pet buffs only or universally for mages. Either way, our durations are pretty low and we find ourselves redoing all buffs every 20 minutes or so.

9. Masters vengeance -- An AA to turn us into our current pet, similar to the beastlord AA. Increase our HP/AC/STR and melee output. This would be a fun AA to play with ;)

10. Pet weapon affinity -- Our pets do alot of DPS through our procs from weapons and spells we cast on them. This would raise their DPS a bit to make pets viable once more.

11. Pet suspended switch -- Allow us to switch our current pet out with a already suspended pet. Many mages want this AA from what I've seen. Real use? I'm not too certain personally. But many mages seem to ultimately want this AA so I figured I'd mention it ;)

-----

Thanks you guys for having a look and reading this email. Any response would be very much appreciated and I'll try to get in contact with you both during beta. As always you can reach me ingame on bristle.Tornt or through email.

Hope to see some of these ideas implimented!

Tornt (Chris)
Last edited by Tornt on Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danille

Re: Hmm, wonder what's been implimented.

Post by Danille »

Hey Tornt. 17 out of 20 done! When you coming back man?
Tornt wrote:
1. Pet Panalopy of Vie -- This is personally my favorite idea in the entire list. The idea of this is to allow our pet to survive a bit better in a raid, group and solo aspect. We were looking at about 10% damage mitigation upwards to about 10-20k damage that lasts around 30 minutes. The reasoning behind this is that our pet is weak in AE rampage, this helps remedy that and also gives our pet the strength needed to hold off that add that comes wandering in at times. The reason for the high numbers is because it IS for a pet only, and not a PC, so the mitigation it much lower than normal.
Done through quite a few new spells and AAs
Tornt wrote: 2. Chromatic Resist Pet Weapons -- This comes with the concern that there are going to be places where certain procs are going to be resisted from our pets. Pet weapon DPS is pretty signifigant for us and we'd love to allow our pets to do their full potential all the time.
- Think this may have been done inately so but not sure
Tornt wrote: 3. Cross-raid Call of the Hero -- This might not actually be a spell request persay, but, for mages it's pretty annoying to have to create new groups to Call of the hero someone in your raid that's across the zone. This is another request that'll make the CoH part of the raid go smoother.
Not Done
Tornt wrote: 4. Resist Modifier Bolt -- Our bolts are plain and simple resisted more than any other spell we have. It's a trade-off we've had for a long time and seems to only get worse as we get new bolts. We'd love to have a bolt that has a resist modifier.
Done
Tornt wrote: 5. Burnout upgrade/aura -- With a new pet haste, we'd love to see it turned into a type of aura for pets. But with this aura we'd LOVE to see VELOCITY added as a string. Our pets are very slow compared to people running at Run Speed 5-8. Please add this to one of our pet buffs and not as a single buff. We already have quite a few buffs to keep on our pets ;)
Upgrade? yes; velocity added - Not Done
Tornt wrote: 6. New Elemental Siphon! -- With this, we'd like to see a pretty decent increase in the mana regen we get. Being as it doesn't stack with necromancer mind wrack, it would be nice to completely make the spell stand out from Mind wrack and give us a chance to not need a necro in the group for that mana. Currently magicians have the worst mana regen of the caster group, I see this spell possibly being a remedy to bring us up to par.
Done in several ways other than how you suggest
Tornt wrote: 7. Self-mod rod -- Yea, a mod rod. The reason we want it self is so that we don't obselete the previous spell and so we don't have to spend a large amount of mana on other people. With this, we'd LOVE to see a greatly increase ratio. Something around the lines off 1.5k mana for 3k HP or there around for 2k mana cost with 3 charges or so?
Done but not self, eliminated the nightmare of laying out rods or trade windows as the ability is no longer a spell but a mana less mass buff AA with zero recast timer. The (massively upgraded) rods actually appear on every raid members cursor which leads me to tell you that targeted summons finally is for real. rods, armor, jewelry, haste masks, weapons, and invis stones, banadges, water and food so far.
Tornt wrote: 8. New PBAE -- We haven't had one since LDoN, it's time for a new one! Bring us back up to par and let us AE in style!
Done in an AoE (fire and magic) and AoE to a targeted radius format (fire)
Tornt wrote: 9. Pet Toy Package -- We have gone a long time having to summon each individual item one by one. This has grown tedious, and this is only a request to allow us to be a bit more lazy!
Done and now eliminating trade windows when handing the items to other players

AA ideas!
Tornt wrote: 1. Master of the Elements -- Combine all 4 of the Class ability Illusions into one. Take off the levitate effect from the Air version though so it's useable in every zone. This will give us more Mana regen, HP, spell casting level and resists. Being as we have come so close to being demi-gods I see no reason why we shouldn't be able to meld all 4 elements into ourselves for a ultimate self buff similar to wizards familiars. Prereqs would include having all 4 singular masteries max'd and possibly all the Heart of lines max'd as well.
Done through upgrades to our air pet which is now usable in every zone, as well as the introduction of mercs and various mage stat AAs. No prequisites needed for the air pet enhancements.
Tornt wrote: 2. Frenzy Burnout Alternative -- We have a AA that currently makes our pet do more damage. What we would like to see is possibly a defensive style version of this spell on the same timer. This could buff our pets HP by 5k, AC by 500 and Avoidance by 50 or something (VERY rough numbers) to allow the pet to survive for a short while. The duration would be similar to FBO in that it lasts 1 minute. This could help mages get out of tight situations.
Dones through several new defensive AA , Fortify (reduces how mob damage shield'a effect pets), Hosts in a Shell (creates runes around main pet); compainions blessing (a heal over time aa); FBO now has five ranks btw
Tornt wrote: 3. AE Rampage Immunity for pets -- An AA that possibly puts the pet at max melee range at all times via a /pet rampage command or similar. This would allow our pets to survive in a raid atmosphere much much more. Currently our pets die on almost every AE Rampage mob that there is, even if the mage is chaining Bulwark of Calliav and Pet heal.
Done. Divine Compainion Aura (a pet invuknerable AA that lasts for 22 seconds)
Tornt wrote: 4. Magicians Last Command -- An AA to control our swarm pets. Allow us to tell them to attack a mob after the first was killed. Currently our pets just kinda follow us if the mob they attack has died, unless we get ourselves hit. Control over them would be nice ;)
not done yet, I asked this exat question at fan faire this year and was told by two developers that they would have to totally changed the entire code for swarm pets to accomplish this. Swarmers are actually coded as visible damage over time spells and not as an actual pet. so there is no way to control the positioning of spells. They would have to change the code to allow mages to have more then one main (regular) pet then change the dot based swarmers to regular. time constraints blah blah.
Tornt wrote: 5. 10th spell gem -- Our spell list has grown quite large, as has most classes. 10th spell gem would be very appreciated. Being nearly a hybrid class, we have many different spells we need loaded at all times.
Done We have 12 right now; with 12x10x10 hotkey buttons in November.
Tornt wrote: 6. Pet's Ultimate Berserk -- An AA to triple pet damage. This would put our normal pet on the level of raging servant or greater. A short DPS burst from our pet to make his damage do three times as much which would help out pet DPS immensely ;)
Done. 5 total ranks of FBO with even the damage of the fire pet effected by this AA
Tornt wrote: 7. Pet Agility/durability upgrades -- In GoD we had Pet agility and durability introduced to us. We'd like to see this line continued to give our pet more survivability.
Done 12 ranks
Tornt wrote: 8. Spell Casting Reinforcement -- Magicians have plenty of clickies, and plenty of pet buff spells. You can make this AA work for pet buffs only or universally for mages. Either way, our durations are pretty low and we find ourselves redoing all buffs every 20 minutes or so.
Done, they extended the duration of all our pet burnout and shields buffs to almost an hour.
Tornt wrote: 9. Masters vengeance -- An AA to turn us into our current pet, similar to the beastlord AA. Increase our HP/AC/STR and melee output. This would be a fun AA to play with ;)
Kinda sorta - Heart of Fire (increases damage to mobs from fire based spells); Heart of Ice (reduces spell damage); Heart of Stone (reduces melee damage); Heart of Vapor (reduces hate) - no illusion just enganced abilities
Tornt wrote: 10. Pet weapon affinity -- Our pets do alot of DPS through our procs from weapons and spells we cast on them. This would raise their DPS a bit to make pets viable once more.
Done kinda but also through item clickies - for example, we have a robe that has a clicky that causes the pet to occasionally strike enemines (up to 17 times) with a spell called obedient fury. This spell strkes the enemy with damage or it can energise the mage increasing our next DD spell.
Tornt wrote: 11. Pet suspended switch -- Allow us to switch our current pet out with a already suspended pet. Many mages want this AA from what I've seen. Real use? I'm not too certain personally. But many mages seem to ultimately want this AA so I figured I'd mention it ;)
Not yet but I asked about this at fan faire and they just put a mechanic into the game that allows this to happen for another purpose (than mage pets) The developer, (Doug/Elidroth) just smiled and said, yes I guess we could do that! So stay tuned.
Last edited by Danille on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:15 am, edited 6 times in total.
Malleria
Arch Mage

Post by Malleria »

Danille wrote:
Tornt wrote: 4. Resist Modifier Bolt -- Our bolts are plain and simple resisted more than any other spell we have. It's a trade-off we've had for a long time and seems to only get worse as we get new bolts. We'd love to have a bolt that has a resist modifier.
Done
lol wut?

We may have something in there with a resist mod, but it's still not worth using over our primary nukes which still do not.
Tornt

Post by Tornt »

Quite interesting to note how many of the changes on that list have gone on to be put into the game, and even those that aren't may be possibilities still down the road.

Thanks for the thorough go-through Danille. Cool to see how things have progressed. Unfortunately I don't see myself returning to EQ anytime soon considering my guild is no more (at least not the specifics when I left the game) and the fact I've been playing WoW more then anything else for my MMO fix. Glad to see my suggestions and work years ago really did leaving a lasting impact for the Mage community.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Malleria wrote:
Danille wrote:
Done
lol wut?

We may have something in there with a resist mod, but it's still not worth using over our primary nukes which still do not.
Beams, Annihilate (which I think always had a resist check) and acute focus of arcanum? Danille was really reaching with that one. What we have is not even close to what we asked for lol
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Spells in our current line-up do not have any resist adjusts. Has been asked for and we were told no supposedly.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams