Pets and RS

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
Kraymerica
Magician

Pets and RS

Post by Kraymerica »

Sorry if this has been touched on before, but just wondering when the whole RS line came about?
Did we fight to get this or was it a Dev's idea? I think it would be nice if we could get our pet to be more dps, and not have to worry about this huge mana RS line all the time. Wouldn't that give us more dps and relieve some mana issues?
I am just a rusty vet-returnee, so feel free to tell me I'm wrong. I just miss the days of sending in a big bad jabober and just launching fireballs from afar.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Re: Pets and RS

Post by Voragath »

It was introduced in DoDH and I wasn't a real active player during that time as I'd only been playing EQ a very short while so I don't know why.

We will never have Goner do huge damage like some people seem to think he always did. The game has changed, the developers have changed, and how the players tackle events has changed.

For Goner to do huge damage like people think means we would flip roles. Goner would be our sole point of damage and we'd be forced to maintain him non-stop. It really is a terrible idea to get all of or most of our damage from the pet as he can take such abuse. That makes him free damage.

RS pet has turned into the compromise for that as the devs can control it more without messing up Goner. Also, part of our problem isn't just mana but dps. Because of how pets work through their mechanics, they just can't be burst dps no matter how hard anyone tries.

Here's the breakdown: majority sustained dps source is Goner. Majority burst DPS source is the mage.

I'm not saying making Goner awesomesauce is a bad idea. I'm just saying the way EQ was designed from day one prevents this.

A good analogy is this:
Pet = /autoattack
Spells = disc
Kraymerica
Magician

Post by Kraymerica »

Interesting, thanks for the reply. Guess I will just have to get used to managing this extra RS pet/spell. Gone are the kunark-early pop days of the epic pet doing all the killing for my lazy ass ;p
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

Some keys to managing the RS and your mana:

Get all the AA's for reducing mana usage (all the GOM's GORM's and so on included in that).
Get all the AA's for extending/hastening swarms as they effect the RS pets.
Get whatever detrimental mana preservation item you can.
Get a Circle of Mana item if you can.
Learn to eat rods like candy.
Get every mana regen AA, piece of gear, and clickie you can lay your hands on (pay attention to the cap if you can).
Be on a mount if outdoors.

If you have mana issues with the above all in place, then pop the RS whenever the GOM/GORM/etc pops so you essentially get it for free.
Vincentt
Conjurer

Post by Vincentt »

svenalo wrote:Get a Circle of Mana item if you can.
Can anyone clarify what a Circle of Mana item is? Nvr herd of this.
dorfillya
Conjurer

Post by dorfillya »

Kraymerica wrote:Interesting, thanks for the reply. Guess I will just have to get used to managing this extra RS pet/spell. Gone are the kunark-early pop days of the epic pet doing all the killing for my lazy ass ;p
Well, you are right about Goner being huge DPS in that small time frame and only up to maybe level 60 or so. Looking back, any mage that played and had their epic during that time would have to admit it was great playing in almost "God-mode" then, but those epic pets were overpowered.

Adding one piece of advice to Svenalo's post above, get an audio trigger of some kind so you know when GOM proc's and cast RS then. For audio trigger, I like gamtexttriggers (no "E" on game). I googled to find download.
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

Circle of Mana items are clickies that reduce mana cost in a tiny area around the caster for a given period. They come in various strengths: Circle of Mana I, Circle of Mana II, and Circle of Mana III. Each is more powerful than the last, with the last two being from raid events, while the first is from various quests and groupable named. Click on the links to go to Alla's and see what items have the effect.
tatanka7th

Post by tatanka7th »

svenalo wrote:Some keys to managing the RS and your mana:

/snip

If you have mana issues with the above all in place, then pop the RS whenever the GOM/GORM/etc pops so you essentially get it for free.
I had started doing this recently, once I finally started using the RS pet, and got frustrated one day when I had a very long dry spell of GoM procs (like one over the course of about 12 mobs). So, for grins, I parsed the RS pets I had spawned over the previous day, and found that they are at least as good, if not better, than our DDs as far as damage per mana goes (having said that, this is for my mage, level 78 at the time, and given the purely tradable, bazaar bought gear I had, and with pretty much all available AA's bought through level 78).

Since they are one of our best DPM spells, I didn't want to be crippled by waiting for GoM to proc, so now I just always cast RS, with this caveat. I first cast Bolt, Sands, and the magic one (Steel?), and if any of those get the GoM proc, then I cast the RS pet next. If none of them get the proc, I still cast the RS pet next. Two quick caveats here: Fight near the mob, so the RS pet doesn't lose a lot of time getting to the fight, and make sure the mob has enough HPs left so that the RS pet isn't still around after the mob is dead.

Following this method, I saw my overall DPS go up noticeably, and also my XP/time. Only waiting for GoM procs makes more sense if it was a poor use of mana, but since it's as efficient as anything else we have, just use it when you need it.

Tat
deadman1204
Arch Mage

Post by deadman1204 »

don't forget, for best dps, surge of XXX is more damage per mana than RS pet, and it can last between fights
tatanka7th

Post by tatanka7th »

Yeah, don't have that one yet (level 81), but it's the top DPM spell on my Druid. Actually, on the druid, it'd both lines of limited hit DSs. For the mage, the other line (the one I do already have, Searing Skin, I think), is not that great, so I don't use it. 4 hits is too few. The druid's is 8 hits.

Tat