New Spells for Next Expansion:

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Re: New Spells for Next Expansion:

Post by Sillaen »

Savil wrote: The thing is, people are worried about pulling mobs solo because they think they are monks, encs, bards.. and really thats stupid. Were *mages*, *so smurf what* if you pull 2-3 mobs at the same time, just kill them all at the same time using the tools the class has. I've personally watched Wire kill 1 red + 2 yellows at the same time when he played, more than once. I know I've killed 3 yellows at the same time or a red con with 1 yellow add. Its not really hard to do if you know how to play your class.
Not saying you're wrong, but after your 1st 3 mob pull and you break out and kill them all what happens to your 2nd pull of 3 when all these abilities are down? I know you could sit and wait for them all to refresh, but what's the point. I'm with you on the multiples because of how I solo (I don't molo). Pulling only 1 at a time is very inefficient and is a waste of time for me so I pull in 3's or 4's, however we're not talking 4 reds or yellows here, just l-blues and occasional blues.

Again, not saying we need any pulling tools, but I would use one if it's given to us.
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

bluejaye wrote:
Piemastaj wrote:I think it would be better if we got a PP type AA then a push type spell. Or a flusterbolt type spell. Any type of push can cause very bad things to happen in any type of a smaller area.

If we got a root AA or spell it would go very well with CoN, fade and or alone. I do not think we need it personally, but I would use it.
just woke up, sorry im slow. what do you mean by PP?
Shaman's Pestilent Paralysis is what I think he's referring to.
Nylrem01
Magician

Post by Nylrem01 »

Honestly I just figured that no way were we going to get any kind of root, but if we could swing it, that would be very sweet :)

You say CoN was never meant as a pulling tool? Any ability that says "then cause that creature to forget all anger" equates to... pulling tool. Which they have realized since shortly after they created FD.

I have MOLOd 3 yellow trash mobs at once a couple times this expansion. Not going to be consistantly doing that back to back though. Especially not until they fix Companion's Blessing. I sincerely doubt any level 95 group focused magician could solo 3 yellow mobs at once this expansion. They definitely couldn't do it twice in 10 minutes.

Not too many tier 4 named even a raid focused magician is going to MOLO, and even fewer still solo. Pretty sure I could solo Word Lord, and maybe Unusual Creature, of the ones that I have killed, but not a very long list, for sure.

I also want to know... how in the world do you solo, effedtively, now with our pet's OOC regen so dang broke?
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

Nylrem01 wrote: I also want to know... how in the world do you solo, effedtively, now with our pet's OOC regen so dang broke?
Because when you solo for xp, you don't hunt reds and yellows. You stick to mass killing l-blues and occasional blues if they are worth it. Waiting for ooc regen is a huge waste of time for both yourself and your pet. Slap a PR on pet and move along.
Savil
Arch Mage

Post by Savil »

Sillaen wrote:
Savil wrote: The thing is, people are worried about pulling mobs solo because they think they are monks, encs, bards.. and really thats stupid. Were *mages*, *so smurf what* if you pull 2-3 mobs at the same time, just kill them all at the same time using the tools the class has. I've personally watched Wire kill 1 red + 2 yellows at the same time when he played, more than once. I know I've killed 3 yellows at the same time or a red con with 1 yellow add. Its not really hard to do if you know how to play your class.
Not saying you're wrong, but after your 1st 3 mob pull and you break out and kill them all what happens to your 2nd pull of 3 when all these abilities are down? I know you could sit and wait for them all to refresh, but what's the point. I'm with you on the multiples because of how I solo (I don't molo). Pulling only 1 at a time is very inefficient and is a waste of time for me so I pull in 3's or 4's, however we're not talking 4 reds or yellows here, just l-blues and occasional blues.

Again, not saying we need any pulling tools, but I would use one if it's given to us.
Usually when you get 2-3 mobs you have to use all the tricks to kill you'll end up OOM and have to med up, you'll also be using them early in the fight and it will take you a few mins to kill so thats at least 6 mins used before you're even thinking about fighting again. Whats more you shouldn't be needing to do that every single pull if you have a single clue how agro works ...

All I can say is in the years I played my mage, pulling was very very rarely an issue. I know for a fact that PJ never has issues pulling because I've watched him pull yellows much the same way I'm talking about. Its not that hard, the main issue here is most ppl are smurf lazy and want the game to play itself.
Savil
Savil
Arch Mage

Post by Savil »

Nylrem01 wrote:Honestly I just figured that no way were we going to get any kind of root, but if we could swing it, that would be very sweet :)

You say CoN was never meant as a pulling tool? Any ability that says "then cause that creature to forget all anger" equates to... pulling tool. Which they have realized since shortly after they created FD.

I have MOLOd 3 yellow trash mobs at once a couple times this expansion. Not going to be consistantly doing that back to back though. Especially not until they fix Companion's Blessing. I sincerely doubt any level 95 group focused magician could solo 3 yellow mobs at once this expansion. They definitely couldn't do it twice in 10 minutes.

Not too many tier 4 named even a raid focused magician is going to MOLO, and even fewer still solo. Pretty sure I could solo Word Lord, and maybe Unusual Creature, of the ones that I have killed, but not a very long list, for sure.

I also want to know... how in the world do you solo, effedtively, now with our pet's OOC regen so dang broke?
I no longer play EQ, I got sick of all the lies and general cluelessness of the devs ... the endless breaking of smurf that used to work, and the complete incompetence of the current AA dev.

No, CoN was *never* intended to be a pulling tool, just ask any old school mage. It was *always* intended to be a OMFG my pet just died and I'm about to be next! Thats all it was *ever* intended to be when it was put into the game. The funny thing is, after they ignored it for so long and then just flat out broke it, the best use for it ended up being used as a pulling tool. I know I used it more for that than saving my ass when my pet died.

As for what can be soloed ... I ended my EQ time at lvl 90, so I can't talk about the lvl 95 game much beyond what I understand from talking with PJ. I know the same comments were tossed around a lot every single exp sense SoF tho and they almost always proved incorrect.

I've watched full groups die to stuff I was bored solo'ing / molo'ing. Its always been the skill level of the mage in question than the gear hes using. You would be shocked what a mage like Wire could do with complete crap gear.

For example, Wire and I were the very first people game wide in Husk (after it was released) and we farmed the smurf out of it. Lots of the items in lucy have Wire's ID attached them them if you care to look... I were killing multi yellow / red con mobs at once with just him (and his boxed bard that was idle most of the time) and myself. At the time we had *zero* UF raid gear to help us. We watched LOTS of full raid geared groups (including our own guild once they entered zone) full wipe in Husk. Sad thing was, Wire and I considered the zone a joke.

I've also 100% solo'ed in Husk (with and without a merc out) just for kicks. Again, you would be surprised what a good mage can do when he puts his mind to it and fully abuses all the gear / aa's he has.

Savil
Savil
Arch Mage

Post by Savil »

BTW: as for the pets regen being broke, I'd personally just top the pet off with PR.... unless they have managed to break that as well. I honestly don't know how mages are keeping their smurf together with all the *stupid* bugs the current "devs" are introducing into the game.

Lets see, broken AA's everywhere, pets are OOC regening, pets don't spawn with full hps (which really hurts RS pet), pets DPS completely smurf atm... and I've lost count on how many times I've see somebody bitching about the current issues with our dps spells.

How mages could even function is beyond me atm. Hell I still get a kick out of the mod rod AA *still* being broke how many months into this exp? Hell its about to be next beta already and they still havn't even fixed the last exp's bugs! Far from it actually .. they have managed to break smurf that *was* working before they started playing around with it.

If you go back into the threads you'll see a comment by me that said a few weeks after this last release that the mod rod AA would still be broken next exp... I'm damned close to be proven right. Not that it should be any surprise to anybody with the devs current track record. Just have to remember the pallie AA screwup to see that.

Savil
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

Savil wrote:
Sillaen wrote:

Usually when you get 2-3 mobs you have to use all the tricks to kill you'll end up OOM and have to med up, you'll also be using them early in the fight and it will take you a few mins to kill so thats at least 6 mins used before you're even thinking about fighting again. Whats more you shouldn't be needing to do that every single pull if you have a single clue how agro works ...

All I can say is in the years I played my mage, pulling was very very rarely an issue. I know for a fact that PJ never has issues pulling because I've watched him pull yellows much the same way I'm talking about. Its not that hard, the main issue here is most ppl are smurf lazy and want the game to play itself.
Savil
You seem to misunderstand everything I say. I know how to pull and how aggro works. Again, I'm in agreement mages DO NOT need a pulling tool, but if we should get one I would use it. Only once can I ever remember having problems with pulling (and I've been playing a mage longer than most) and that was doing some of the tasks in KW near the Rathe ZI solo back when it was current content; easily solved by just fighting 3 or 4 at a time.

I'm in no way advocating for a pulling tool for mages, but if one like PP is tossed at us as Pj said, I wont turn it down.
Savil
Arch Mage

Post by Savil »

My comments weren't directed at any single person, more said in general... ;) BTW, your attuide on PP is the same as mine was for DoS. I knew we didn't need it, knew how it would be abused, so I asked them not to give it to us and why, but when they did I sure as hell used it to be more evil!

Savil
Calebe
Arch Convoker

Post by Calebe »

Sorry Savil but this is wrong at least for me:
No, CoN was *never* intended to be a pulling tool, just ask any old school mage.
As soon as I got the AA that is exactly what I used it for. I used it to split mobs and made life a bit easier then taking 2 or 3 at a time. So I split using it. I agree it was never intended by the devs for that role, but I used it for that as soon as I bought it and still do at times. So asking this old school mage (circa June 1999 start date), I knew what it could be used for and did so. I know a lot of mages that used it for the same thing. The never intended if you mean by the devs, I agree, but any mage who knew what it could do, used it for that day one.

The never intended though brought back the bad memory of Koz and the waste of time of Sklug to break the original pet hold. It worked perfectly as designed day one and then he used (Koz) revisionist history to not only break it for most mages, but claimed that was how it was always suppose to work. A shame for him us OLD school mages from the day the AA was made available knew the truth and went ballistic. Imagine the real changes that could have been made from the time Sklug (probably the best coder EQ ever had) wasted on fixing an item that never needed fixing, that could have gone into something worthwhile for mages.

Calebe