Mage pets versus necro?

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
Arterian
Magician

Mage pets versus necro?

Post by Arterian »

Hello everyone,

I apologize for harping on this particular subject, but I'm still a bit on the fence. I want to dedicate myself fully to either my 83 magician or 90 necro. My necro is currently in better gear (Full T4 HoT) and has the EM10 earring from 13th Anniversary events. My mage is in defiant mostly, has about 180 AA and EM5 focus.

I'm really leaning toward the magician, but I have a couple questions.

1.) How much better is the 86 air pet than my necros 87 pet?

2.) How much better is the 91 air pet than the 92 necro pet?

I saw a 95 mage with EM15 air pet completely DOMINATING mobs in Beast's Domain. Now that was very impressive, but as I don't have the 92 necro pet, is that something it could do as well?

I realize these questions might be tough to answer for those that don't play both classes. Any insight would be great :mrgreen:

Thanks all.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Re: Mage pets versus necro?

Post by Piemastaj »

Our pets are far better then Necro pets.

Necros will gain much more exp solo then us though, we lack the mana regen to consistently kill like they can.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Arterian
Magician

Post by Arterian »

Yes, that is something I've noticed already. My necro never has mana issues.

If that is the case I will certainly be going full steam on the mage. I have been a necro for a long time, but the funny thing is I really don't enjoy kiting stuff all over the place while my DoTs slowly eat away. I prefer standing toe to toe with mobs, having my pet tank and adding in support when needed.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Necros actually do a lot of root rotting (DoTTing the mob while its rooted to kill). Not that, that will change your mind, but I don't think kiting is the staple anymore.

And their pets can take some hits, just not as well as ours will. Their pets have come a long ways.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Arterian
Magician

Post by Arterian »

Agreed, I have done both. But it really isn't that much fun to watch the mob just sit there while nothing happens.

I'm also a bit of a junky when it comes to soloing content from prior expansions, and there are few things that make that more possible than a beastly pet to tank stuff.