oh no! Defense hotkey

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
Vincentt
Conjurer

oh no! Defense hotkey

Post by Vincentt »

has anyone put together a, "oh no I've got too much aggro, I'm under 50% and I'm gonna die!" hotkey?

I can't piece one together. I figure Shared Health AA, Companion of Necessity come in handy. But if they're not avail., how could you work in a /pet stop attacking, /pet come taunt this mob off me, hotkey? Alt Act. #s would be helpful too.

tx
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Re: oh no! Defense hotkey

Post by Tweelis »

Yes, it's call the gyrospire relocation device.
Danille

Post by Danille »

Well if you stop your pet from attacking, there is no way it will taunt aggro off of you ok?

You have a few choices:

Drape of Shadows - /alt activate 8341 (for the aggro to drop to zero and the /alt activate 3812 for the perfected invis so you do not reaggro.

The hotkey looks like this:

/pet stop
/pet target
/pause 12,/alt activate 8341
/pet back off
/alt activate 3812

Then you have the one you spoke of previously "companion of necessity"

You also have aa gate, or your bulwark insta click item from your summoned cauldron.
Vincentt
Conjurer

Post by Vincentt »

^ Somewhat helpful. I don't have those abilities yet, in my early 70s atm. But I'll definitely put that in my mage's notebook for my 80s. Thx Danille

In most circumstance I'm boxing or in a group and gating out is not an option. I'm one of those 'last man standing' types. I'd rather die as a tiger in one day than live as a sheep for a thousand --- I'm sure many of you are the same way too. Besides, there's nothing more satisfying than turning the tides and winning on a bad pull ... which is when I often have to overnuke and if Silent Cast isn't available then needs must I step to the plate and down the opponents.

Here are some thoughts, tell me what you think. I'm not 100% sure on commands due to lack of experience. This is assuming you have at least 2 mobs in camp: pet is engaged/offtanking mob1, you are getting wacked by mob2 because your other tank is not taunting. Perhaps you cast a rain spell too early. Your hp is down to 49% and you know you're boned.

1-Pet hold is toggled on. He will not attack any target unless you specify. Pet taunt is on.
2-Press ESC [clears your target window and first mob to hit you becomes your target]
3-Hotkey
/alt activate 265 [SharedHealth]
/pet regroup [makes him ignore his current mob, even if mob is attacking him]
/pet back off [clears his hate list, is this neccessary?]
/pet attack [he attacks your current target specifically]
/potionbelt 1 [1 is slot with divine heal potion, 1 shot heal]

Other 'save me' keys are Comp of Necc., Dim.Instability, Drape, but these are not always available.
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

Vincentt wrote: 1-Pet hold is toggled on. He will not attack any target unless you specify. Pet taunt is on.
2-Press ESC [clears your target window and first mob to hit you becomes your target]
3-Hotkey
/alt activate 265 [SharedHealth]
/pet regroup [makes him ignore his current mob, even if mob is attacking him]
/pet back off [clears his hate list, is this neccessary?]
/pet attack [he attacks your current target specifically]
/potionbelt 1 [1 is slot with divine heal potion, 1 shot heal]
Other 'save me' keys are Comp of Necc., Dim.Instability, Drape, but these are not always available.
I don't have a key such as this setup, but some thoughts.

As long as you have /pet focus on and /pet hold on , you do not have to /pet regroup. He will attack anything you tell him to last then return to whatever he was doing after your last /pet attack command.

/pet back off is not necessary in your scenario.

The best way to survive this is to not get in this kind of trouble to begin with.
Get used to doing things this way, as this is the way you should operate to not put yourself in jeopardy.

With multiple mobs in camp, always and I mean ALWAYS burn the mob your main pet is on. Having spell casting subtlety almost guarantees (I say almost because it can happen) you won't pull aggro off pet. Use RS to offtank an add or 2 and even Host to offtank another. Ideally, once you have mobs under control, you simply cycle through targets and hit /pet attack after each one to have main pet tag it once or twice before returning it to it's original target. It's not always necessary to do so if the mobs are social with each other and/or pet's proximity is closer to the offtanked mob than you are, but it's a good habit to develop.

When I'm running around killing stuff and add people to my group, I always make sure they have an assist key for my main pet. I tell them to assist pet and not me. If they aggro on anything other than what my main pet is concentrating on, they are likely going to die. It helps if you can afford it to get a permanent name for your pet.

In short, nuking/burning/dps'ing anything outside of what your main pet is focusing on is more often than not detrimental to your health.
Vincentt
Conjurer

Post by Vincentt »

Surely you've been in the odd group where the warrior/paladin/sk/ranger/monk wasn't building enough aggro meanwhile pet is offtanking? No? Just me then?

I find the air pet offtanking whilst me + my ranger (or enchanter) +RS focuses dps on one mob to be much more efficient than trying to burn down my pet's target while ranger / RS offtank the add. Ranger and RS dps is nothing short of ballistic.

Let me retry that hotkey.

Pet Ghold is always on. He only attacks what you tell him to and will switch targets as soon as you say attack.
ESC
/alt act 265 [sharedhealth]
/pet attack
/potionbelt 1
/alt act 60 [FBO]
/alt act 2000 [armor of experience, most likely FBO is down] - or - /alt act 787 [Heart of Stone]

I wish I could think of something better.
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

Fair enough.

Burning the mob your main pet is on while off tanking with RS is still the safer route. My ranger and mage are on the same account so have never played them together, but for safety's sake I would still burn the mob my main pet is on. There's virtually no chance of you pulling aggro that way, hence no need for a "Oh crap - defense hotkey". For quick AA's I still mass solo light blues. I hate mercs so I never use them. I usually pull 3 - 4 at a time and use the method I described above. Works fine for me using air pet, but to each his/her own.

I only use /pet ghold on raids.
For regular soloing or grouping, it's just /pet hold. I want my pet going after anything that has hit me after it's done with it's current target without me telling it to.

edit: Was mentioning VT for quick aggro by your pet, but you can't get that yet, so moot point.

But back to the topic at hand. I seem to have strayed a bit.

Your hotkey looks good. Test it out and let us know how it works. Most mages don't have such a hotkey, outside of drape, CoN and gate.
Last edited by Sillaen on Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vincentt
Conjurer

Post by Vincentt »

My hotkey is working well, tested it with overburns and it's great:

/alt act sharedhealth
/pet attack
/potionbelt activiate 1
/alt act FBO
/alt act Fortify Companion / Heart of Stone (both work)

Had to throw in some /pause xx to account for cast times, can't remember them atm.

Available exclusively of CoN / Dimensional Stupidity / etc.