Which pet is best for DPS

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
eyegot
Trial Member

Which pet is best for DPS

Post by eyegot »

Hey guys, I am new to the magician class and am curious about the differences in dps between pets. I am boxing a cleric with tank merc and mage with dps merc. I always have used the air pet due to the stuns but I am now learning that the fire and water pets are almost double the dps of the air pet ? my mage is 86 and equipped with em7. What would be my best route to maximize dps without pet tanking ?
Potawatomi
Volunteer

Re: Which pet is best for DPS

Post by Potawatomi »

Water for that setup.
Fleiss
Conjurer

Post by Fleiss »

Water overall unless you want to try and move the fire pet around to be in melee range.
Cielli
Conjurer

Post by Cielli »

Water pet is about 20% more dps than Air. Fire pet is about 15% more than water pet if he's in melee range, otherwise he's about 10% less ( spell damage only )

Get rid of both mercs & your experience will be much better. Mage/cleric is a good team, you're just throwing away experience using those mercs, if you realy want a merc for faster killing, use 1 wizard merc.
eyegot
Trial Member

Post by eyegot »

Did they ever come out with an AA to position the pet behind the mob ?
dorfillya
Conjurer

Post by dorfillya »

eyegot wrote:..................What would be my best route to maximize dps without pet tanking ?
Not sure why you are against pet tanking, I generally found my pet to be superior to any merc tank. And, your cleric box should be able to heal him just fine. I agree with Cielli, ditch merc tank, and probably the merc cleric. Not really very many places a mage/cleric can't single pull. And, very few group mobs a pet (earth or air) can't tank.

Yes, water and fire pet are more dps, but, those pets total dps should only be maybe 20-25% of your total dps. Therefore, the dps pets doing maybe 15% more than an air pet, amounts to only 3-4% of your total dps.

Getting rid of the mercs will double your experience gain. I might then consider getting 2 cleric mercs, that I normally kept suspended, but that could be brought out if a named mob popped and you need extra healing.
eyegot
Trial Member

Post by eyegot »

Im using a tank merc because my cleric is 6 levels higher than mage and I can pull doubles and names no problem. Ive focused my mages AAs all towards dps and hardly any stability AAs in pet for tanking. Im using a tank merc and a dps merc im not sure where the cleric merc came in. Seeing as the cleric doesnt do any dps and my mage is not geared the best my only dps comes from the pet and the dps merc. Having the mercs may hurt some exp gain but it triples the killing speed and most of the exp im getting is from tasks anyways which mercs do not affect the gain there.
Aanelyen
Magician

Post by Aanelyen »

eyegot wrote:Did they ever come out with an AA to position the pet behind the mob ?
Yes.
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

I believe its called Relocate Companion. A lot of times it's easier, though, to use Summon Companion...and if you are using a fire pet, that's the only way to move it once its fighting because it roots itself and relocate won't move a rooted pet.