New to Raiding Mage Question

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
Apliao
Trial Member

New to Raiding Mage Question

Post by Apliao »

Hello I just started raiding with my mage and I have a question. After doing some reading here I decided to try the fire pet out on raids. One of my guildmates pareses, and my pet is only showing to be doing around 3k dps on the dragons in ToV. This is much lower than my water pet is doing. At first I thought maybe I wasn't making sure my pet was in melee range, and that was causing it, however even after ensuring that he's in melee range that is all he is doing, where my water pet averages 7-9k dps on fights. For frame of reference our fights generally last longer because we usually only have 35-42 people on raids lately, which I thought would help the fire pet out especially since I don't usually have a bard or shaman in my groups and we only occasionally have rangers doing mgb's. Is there something I am missing or is there something about ToV dragons besides being belly casters which is causing me problems here?
Mintalee
Elementalist

Re: New to Raiding Mage Question

Post by Mintalee »

Make sure he is buffed with Burnout.
dorfillya
Conjurer

Post by dorfillya »

If you have any time at all to get pet buffed, use the water pet. Fire pet is ok if you die, get rezzed and need to do DPS asap.
Potawatomi
Volunteer

Post by Potawatomi »

Depending on the mob, your pet may be out of melee range. For example, Lord Koi Doken can be moved and due to the nature of fire pets rooting themselves, its easy for them to be out of max melee. As others have suggested, use your Water pet.
Last edited by Potawatomi on Tue May 21, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fleiss
Conjurer

Post by Fleiss »

Fire takes a lot of maintenance if the mob moves at all. I just go water unless I am coming off a death.
Apliao
Trial Member

Post by Apliao »

I kept him fully buffed, and I kept the fire pet parked under the dragon to begin with. The dragons have a pretty large melee box, on other stuff I had noticed that companions relocation doesn't seem to work worth a crap on him. I bought summon companion today so I will try that to see if it helps.
Nillaien

Post by Nillaien »

You need to log the parse. The non melee damage that the fire pet does only registers to the owner. You can send him your log file, or you can easily parse your own by going to gambosoft.com and download game parse.