Will pets keep up in CoF?

A home for posts concerning previous expansions.
Darkenr
Volunteer

Will pets keep up in CoF?

Post by Darkenr »

I know we've lagged behind in the past in regards to pet power when compared to player power increases on non-level cap increase expansions. I know that CoF it starting at RoF T4 difficulty and not increasing player power much at first (but it'll inevitably come with later tiers of CoF), but with the recent pet nerf lowering pet tankability between higher EM tier, I'm concerned that even though they'll release higher tiers of EM focus, I'm concerned it won't be enough of an increase to hold us out for an entire year. Anyone care to try to alleviate my concerns, or has anyone heard anything about how pet classes are going to survive another non-level cap increase? I quit last time because of this (Underfoot) issue, and would prefer to have pets that will actually last for a non-level cap increase.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Re: Will pets keep up in CoF?

Post by Voragath »

I am not sure. This is a problem for mages and never is resolved well. Casters in general take a serious hit with no cap increasing expansions. It unfairly favors the melee classes. However, the folly in UF was that it was made to be insanely hard. If they make the next expansion like RoF, or just small increases in difficulty over RoF, then I don't think we will see much issue with pet power.

The caveat is that a mage just entering the late 90's won't be able to skip to the next expansion without the pet focus from RoF. That is, they'll have to get a tradeable focus that is of the RoF era or go into RoF and farm it before they can skip RoF content.
Darkenr
Volunteer

Post by Darkenr »

Voragath wrote:I am not sure. This is a problem for mages and never is resolved well. Casters in general take a serious hit with no cap increasing expansions. It unfairly favors the melee classes. However, the folly in UF was that it was made to be insanely hard. If they make the next expansion like RoF, or just small increases in difficulty over RoF, then I don't think we will see much issue with pet power.

The caveat is that a mage just entering the late 90's won't be able to skip to the next expansion without the pet focus from RoF. That is, they'll have to get a tradeable focus that is of the RoF era or go into RoF and farm it before they can skip RoF content.
Which going to RoF to get a focus there before going to CoF isn't that much of an issue considering that CoF is supposed to be the natural progression "after" RoF so that could easily be expected. I just hope that the current state of pets can keep up with the ramp up in difficulty and player power throughout the entirety of this expansion. I really wish SoE would think before nerfing things, especially considering I'm SURE that when this nerf was planned that they already knew there wasn't going to be a level cap increase this coming expansion. *sigh*
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Yeah, I'm hoping Aristo gives a bump to the pet templates for the focii of CoTF. I'm expecting he'll make the first CoTF tier pet ear tradeable as usual but I don't recall how they did that in UF (I was using the raid ear from SoD tower when UF was released).

As long as the mobs don't ramp up in difficulty more than they did in RoF, I think the templates can be kept in line that will keep us happy. We will have to pay attention. If they stagger the release, this could create a new problem; they might make the difficulty ramp up more than the initial release.

IMO, pets in UF were comparatively abysmal.
Cielli
Conjurer

Post by Cielli »

Shard of...

96: Air
97:Water
98:Fire
99:Earth...

Just a suggestion.

100: Shard of Shadow

Black Elemental.

Will it be a new pet with a unique role? Or a behemoth with the tanking ability of earth & the melee dmg of water.

I want it!
Airodar
Trial Member

Post by Airodar »

I'd like to see a spell, aa, or clicky item that would buff pets to be more like the epic 1.0 pet. I think this would help our pets keep up in the new expansion since we are not getting a level increase this time around. The epic 1.0 was mostly obsolete post 60, and I always wanted a buff that made our pets feel epic again.

Pet Buff

AC Boost of 10%
30% Base Damage modifier
HP Regen like 300+ per tick in combat
Large DS scaled like the old school fire pets, but with a stun effect that has a chance to stun mobs up to 6 seconds

/dreams