Is maxing AAs really worth it?

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
roro

Is maxing AAs really worth it?

Post by roro »

When I last played EQ I was told by higher levels to max out my AAs. Atm I'm (was) just a level 76 mag with 550 AAs and no guild (I think). I've so far found AAs useful and life-saving in some fights.

Is there a point where the AAs don't really have that much affect on typical group mobs? How different would it be in the raiding game?

Aside from the tradeskilling stuff some of the AAs look kind of worthless, but maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Re: Is maxing AAs really worth it?

Post by Voragath »

Personally, I think it all depends on what you want. If you want lots of pugs then get to 81 and work aa's if you need 'em. Raid guilds have different req's. That being said, there are a few "sweet spots" in levels to work aa's. Usually when you first get the air pet. Personally, I'd at least stop and get the mana procs, spell dmg, faster casting, advanced pet discipline, pet discipline, persistent minion (both ranks), and pet affinity at a minimum. As for maxing out, I wouldn't. You'd be stuck forever trying to grind out 2k aa's. Get what's necessary and you feel comfortable with; or what's required by the raid guild you want to join. Hope that helps. A raid guild will want the pet control aa's done but I suspect you have those as it sounds you've been a mage for awhile.
Glaven
Elementalist

Post by Glaven »

Yeah honestly if you have 550 you probably already have the most important ones. However, if you havent played for an expansion or two, there are definitely some really nice utility AAs you will want ASAP. Life before perfected lev, inviso, and malosete seems like such a drag now!
benhan
Magician

Post by benhan »

im max AA and let me tell u it sucks. i had a goal to max my aa's before we got into tower i did. 2x xp weekend i did nothing. ive been helping out other mages tho. but ya once ur max aa u have nothing really to do :\
Firen Fury
Arch Convoker

Post by Firen Fury »

benhan,

i assume youve solod just about every mob you can solo? thats what im looking forward to... and i dont think i'll be sitting there twiddling my thumbs till ive done it.

first tho i want to get a ton of good augs, cause mine all suck. im planning to do that as i get my AAs.
Image . Image . Image
The 'Preview' Button is Your Friend
Brimztone

Post by Brimztone »

I don't know about MAXing AAs, but I know that I have about 1450 and I am still buying good, useful things.
Danille

Post by Danille »

3765 aa's here. Was still buying good ones in the 3200's
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

I am just over 2400 and almost done with all the good ones. I think it really just depends on how you spend them, I doubt I will ever be max AAed.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
benhan
Magician

Post by benhan »

if ur on luclin can help u get um coa augs easy or those quests ones. but ya max aa's makes life really easy as a mage
Kimidri

Post by Kimidri »

I came back to the game in around september after 4+ years away i was 66 when i came back with not many AA
I got to 85 with Few AA's and then joined a raid guild that raids 6 nights a week so i dont get that much time to AA but i think there are a hell lot of AA's that were probs good back when they came out but are not much use anymore, I wonder how many AA's are useful now if you start from nothing