Please filter "new posts" by board section and topic

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Darkenr
Volunteer

Re: Please filter "new posts" by board section and topic

Post by Darkenr »

Andorrabell wrote:I am finding it VERY hard to read these boards because I can't distinguish between the posts I should read and all the political posts.
Could the board mod please figure out if it is possible to filter the "new posts" function to show them organized by forum like our old boards used to.
I feel like I should be here to help represent us, especially since I was promoted to community leader, but these boards make my eyes bleed.

If there is a way to do this on the user end please let me know, I haven't found it.

Dora
What I do is I just read all the new posts (open them up so they're marked as read) in all of the sections except politics and whatnot, and after I'm done with that I just click on the mark forums read button to make the politics section all "read" for me. makes things a lot easier for lurkin the forums hehe.
pandax
Arch Magus

Post by pandax »

wire wrote:Originally brought up here.

From what I understand, one of the major issues with the old boards was all the traffic and the resulting large bandwidth costs. It's pretty hard to argue that the vast majority of posts don't occur in the politics section. Right now there's the same amount of posts in that forum as all the other posts on this board combined. It's just going to get worse.

Personally, I'd vote to axe the politics section completely, as it has nothing to do with EQ, but I'm sure any effort in that direction would lose support ... entirely because of my previous point: that the majority of posters use this board for political dialog.

The easiest solution is to create 2 user groups, one with and one without access to the politics section. This will work for most people, but if bandwidth costs start to climb, there are other options. :p
And most of the community supporters like myself used the politics section extensively.
pandax
Arch Magus

Post by pandax »

wire wrote:
najiwench wrote:What's with you guys clogging up our politics board with this video game crap? :ugeek:
I know you're being somewhat sarcastic, but that's pretty much the point. It's a real possibility that all the people seeking EQ Magician information and dialog will be driven to yet another community option if things keep going the way they are.
It's simple, just don't use the politics section.

I don't think that picking out the non-politics posts is the end of the world.
wire
Elementalist

Post by wire »

pandax wrote:It's simple, just don't use the politics section.

And most of the community supporters like myself used the politics section extensively.
It's not the end of the world, but it is a problem, as the multiple posts on the topic indicate. Ignoring it punishes everyone that seeks to be a part of only the EQ Magician community. There are very simple solutions listed in this thread, featuring either collaborative or exclusive options. Either will work, but leaving things as they are is not a good choice.

Also, if one seeks to support a political community... they can go to a political community. Why would anyone want to derail an everquest message board? And yes, one can argue that it's not "an everquest message board", in which case none of the EQ content or EQ posters belong here:

najiwench
Grand Summoner

Post by najiwench »

When I come here, I open board index then click view new posts and then skim up the category of the new posts, clicking on the ones in the categories that I am interested in. It takes me all of 5 seconds most of the time...
Siggy by Eireann
pandax
Arch Magus

Post by pandax »

wire wrote:
pandax wrote:It's simple, just don't use the politics section.

It's not the end of the world, but it is a problem, as the multiple posts on the topic indicate. Ignoring it punishes everyone that seeks to be a part of only the EQ Magician community. There are very simple solutions listed in this thread, featuring either collaborative or exclusive options. Either will work, but leaving things as they are is not a good choice.

Also, if one seeks to support a political community... they can go to a political community. Why would anyone want to derail an everquest message board? And yes, one can argue that it's not "an everquest message board", in which case none of the EQ content or EQ posters belong here:
I absolutely agree, it's a complete travesty that you're subjected to having to not click on a few posts which you are not interested in. How dare people place posts on a board in the same fashion that they've been doing so for the past 10 years.

You are punished every day. Torture I tell you, Torture!

Or you could take a deep breath, relax, and if something easy can be done by the board moderator, then cool. If not, DEAL WITH IT.
pandax
Arch Magus

Post by pandax »

wire wrote:
najiwench wrote:What's with you guys clogging up our politics board with this video game crap? :ugeek:
I know you're being somewhat sarcastic, but that's pretty much the point. It's a real possibility that all the people seeking EQ Magician information and dialog will be driven to yet another community option if things keep going the way they are.
Ultimately, people seeking information about magicians do something really neat and inovative. They click on the general and library sections!

The only people dogging the posts to see if something new is posted are the ones who are frequent visitors. People who are already drawn in and not seeking information. And seek another community? What other magician communties? If things keep going the way they are?? This site has been around for almost 10 years now with the politics section.

I like how you are demanding that the volunteer moderators do things where there is a mild inconvenience at best.
pandax
Arch Magus

Post by pandax »

wire wrote:
Ultimately, people seeking information about magicians do something really neat and inovative. They click on the general and library sections!

The only people dogging the posts to see if something new is posted are the ones who are frequent visitors. People who are already drawn in and not seeking information. And seek another community? What other magician communties? If things keep going the way they are?? This site has been around for almost 10 years now with the politics section.

I like how you are demanding that the volunteer moderators do things where there is a mild inconvenience at best.
pandax
Arch Magus

Post by pandax »

Andorrabell wrote:I am finding it VERY hard to read these boards because I can't distinguish between the posts I should read and all the political posts.
Could the board mod please figure out if it is possible to filter the "new posts" function to show them organized by forum like our old boards used to.
I feel like I should be here to help represent us, especially since I was promoted to community leader, but these boards make my eyes bleed.

If there is a way to do this on the user end please let me know, I haven't found it.

Dora
Really? I'm sorry that your eyes are bleeding. You should really see a doctor about that.

Seriously, you're as bad as Leerah at times.....
Malleria
Arch Mage

Post by Malleria »

pandax wrote:The only people dogging the posts to see if something new is posted are the ones who are frequent visitors. People who are already drawn in and not seeking information. And seek another community? What other magician communties? If things keep going the way they are?? This site has been around for almost 10 years now with the politics section.
Typically the people who are providing that information yes. You think thats a bad thing?

Why do you need a magician community to talk about politics? [read: flame each other senselessly]