Please filter "new posts" by board section and topic

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
pandax
Arch Magus

Re: Please filter "new posts" by board section and topic

Post by pandax »

Malleria wrote: Well, no, not what I meant. The post I was answering inferred politics could only be discussed on a magician community site, and hence this being the only magician community site, another forum was not available. My question was why does it have to be a magician community site specifically? Do mages have more political insight than shadowknights? ;)
I have never in my life even implied this.

I said the following.

Pandax
The only people dogging the posts to see if something new is posted are the ones who are frequent visitors. People who are already drawn in and not seeking information. And seek another community? What other magician communties? If things keep going the way they are?? This site has been around for almost 10 years now with the politics section.
which was in response to

Wire
I know you're being somewhat sarcastic, but that's pretty much the point. It's a real possibility that all the people seeking EQ Magician information and dialog will be driven to yet another community option if things keep going the way they are.
Let's break this down since it seams you're having trouble with reading comprehension.

Wire: (Mages will be driven to another board because they don't like the politics section)
Me:
"The only people dogging the posts to see if something new is posted"
--refers to those people who might see the that there are frequent posts in the politics section
"are the ones who are frequent visitors"
--It means that those people come here a lot.
"People who are already drawn in and not seeking information."
--This is stating that these people are already part of the community so unlikely to go anywhere.
"And seek another community?"
--I am referencing wire's comment about wire's statement that mages would seek other places because there is a politics section
"What other magician communties?"
--I am stating that this is the only reasonably sized magician site.
If things keep going the way they are??
--I am referencing wire's statement "if things keep going the way they are"
This site has been around for almost 10 years now with the politics section
--I am stating that the politics section has been a prominent section of the board for the majority of its existance.

However I will say one thing, this board is the only place where we can discuss these issues with the community which has concentrated over many years. It's not just "politics" but the people there. From the reasonable voices like Naji to the perverted voices like Rem to the fringe voices like Silver and Danille to the people who hear voices in their head like Kelno! Few places exist with such diverse stances and interesting characters. It's a place where you can completely and vehemently disagree with someone one day and be buddy buddy the next. It's nice that people here usually don't take things quite so personally as other places. It's not that mages specifically have any specific insight, however this board has attracted people who are fun for talking about politics for the previously referenced reasons.
dorfillya
Conjurer

Post by dorfillya »

This thread has fallen into the same old "I meant/you said" rant that all other political threads seem to eventually fall into, and therefore, should be moved to the polotical section.
dorfillya
Conjurer

Post by dorfillya »

I will say, even though I seldom post there, I enjoy reading much of the political forum, it is one of the few places that a small town USA boy like me can hear real opinions from real people in different countries that have different governments, healthcare, etc. I actually believe most of what people post there over much of the news coverage on TV.
najiwench
Grand Summoner

Post by najiwench »

Malleria wrote:Well, no, not what I meant. The post I was answering inferred politics could only be discussed on a magician community site, and hence this being the only magician community site, another forum was not available. My question was why does it have to be a magician community site specifically? Do mages have more political insight than shadowknights? ;)
there are political discussions on many message boards, I remember Necrotalk had a pretty decent one for a while. The thing here is that this is where we met,this is where we are used to coming, and we know each other from here. The majority of the posters in the Politics section have been visiting the Mage tower for years. This is home.
Siggy by Eireann
pandax
Arch Magus

Post by pandax »

wire wrote: Who's blaming the politics sections for "breaking" the last board? You? I said that extra traffic resulted in extra support. I am well aware of why the last board eventually shut down.
umm, wat?
From what I understand, one of the major issues with the old boards was all the traffic and the resulting large bandwidth costs. It's pretty hard to argue that the vast majority of posts don't occur in the politics section. Right now there's the same amount of posts in that forum as all the other posts on this board combined. It's just going to get worse.
I'm fairly certain that you were imlpying that the large bandwidth costs, which I am personally of the belief that the ones quoted to us were complete and utter smurf unless the owner was doing something very very wrong, caused the older board to die. If you're not, you need to learn how to use the english language because you're failing miserably. Either that you're you're trying to specifically misrepresent what I'm saying (rather poorly I might add) and is the halmark of a Strawman!
Straw Man-Description: It is a fallacy to misrepresent someone else's position for the purposes of more easily attacking it, then to knock down that misrepresented position, and then to conclude that the original position has been demolished. It is a fallacy because it fails to deal with the actual arguments that one has made.
Going back to that statement however, you are making a statement which is unsupportable. I am saying that many of the frequent politics posters (like myself) were also community supporters. Unless you can prove that the donnations were not proportional to the number of posts in the politics section, you simply can't make that claim. At all.

What exactly is unintelligible about requesting a widely available feature for several members that have voiced that they would benefit from said feature?
By "several members" you mean "exactly three" FYI

Again however, you are misrepresenting positions.

You have A, implied that the politics section broke the last board as already quoted in this post.

You have B, radically overstated this "problem" of yours.
Ignoring it punishes everyone that seeks to be a part of only the EQ Magician community.
Punishes, PUNISHES! You used the word punishes for just not looking at half posts that say "politics" on them.
succumb to the constant onslaught of completely irrelevant information
LOL, succumb to the constant ONSLAUGHT!!!

You have C, repeatedly stated that people wishing to talk about politics can find themselves a new place to talk about it because you don't want to look at posts that no one is making you click on.
Personally, I'd vote to axe the politics section completely,
Also, if one seeks to support a political community... they can go to a political community.
And again here you state that if you don't get a solution to your "problem" that the only other option is to exclude the politics section from this board.
There are very simple solutions listed in this thread, featuring either collaborative or exclusive options. Either will work, but leaving things as they are is not a good choice.
You have D, attempted to villinized people who want to talk about politics by claiming that they want to derail a message board by posting in one isolated section.
Why would anyone want to derail an everquest message board?
You have E, threatened to try to start up a rival board and F, implied that there is no "mage information" here vs. another location.
I'm 100% certain we could find equally skilled moderators to volunteer on a mage information site that actually featured mage information.

I'm sorry, but all of those statements do not represent the answers of someone who is well grounded in reality.

The idea has been presented, reasons have been provided and available solutions have been offered. Your argument of "No, you can't have that because I don't mind the situation as is, changing things won't affect me in any way, and I don't like you!" seems somewhat more "unintelligible" than that.
In your very first post on this thread, the VERY first, before you suggest other solutions, you state.
Personally, I'd vote to axe the politics section completely
This does not strike me as something which is reasonable. You're not "just offering solutions" you're threatening.

Unfortunately for you however, my posts completely contradict your misrepresenation of my views:
Or you could take a deep breath, relax, and if something easy can be done by the board moderator, then cool.
Oh smurf, I ACTUALLY stated that if a moderator can do something and it's not too much trouble for them, then they should! That is my only stance. I refuse to demand.

That and you are an egotistical person who likes to blow things way out of proportion.
Maybe we need more than 2 posts per day, so the flaming stays in the politics section alone...
You start by attacking half of the posters on this site and you expect to let it go unanswered?! What is wrong with you? If you post flame bait, don't be upset when you get it :p

Hello Mr. Pot, please meet Mr. Kettle.
najiwench
Grand Summoner

Post by najiwench »

Pandax, hun...go take a walk or something...you seem to be a little um..overheated?

There's no need to call anyone names, insult anyone's intelligence, or any of those other things..relax..
Siggy by Eireann
Danille

Post by Danille »

Please be civil you guys. This is a general forum. Lay off the personal attacks. Note edits made.
pandax
Arch Magus

Post by pandax »

Yes Miss Naji, I was just upset at his ego and sense of entitlement at the possible expense of the majority of the posters on this board due to a minor inconvenience and his willingness to greatly exagurate the situation, make threats, and misrepresent others' statements.
Malleria
Arch Mage

Post by Malleria »

Pot. Kettle. Black :lol:
Navik

Post by Navik »

I enjoy having a political section here (although lately they haven't come close to some of the discussions/debates we had on the old board). I also see where Andorra and the rest are coming from. I don't see the big deal with what they are asking for. Just put a filter in so you don't have to see new posts in politics or any other thread that doesn't interest you. I have no reason why this became such a debate.