Help a solo mage

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
sideous
Trial Member

Help a solo mage

Post by sideous »

So I made a mage after playing a cleric for many years and am loving it. I have some questions about my playing though. First my spell line up. I multi bind fickle,spear,rain of blister, then second best spear. If I am concerned about something nearby agroing I replace rain with bolt. Is this the best spell line up I could be using? I rarely use the RS because to me it seems to be a mana sink and not enough dps. Should I include it into my weave? My play style is I like to go to the alaran underground cathedral in shards and I clear pew by pew. It is good Aa xp and it helps level my tear and it is also a great source of plat. I do not use my malo spell I always use the Aa is that wise? My burn consists of popping improved twincast, fire core, first spire, and arcanum ( I am unsure what arcanum does exactly). I made a mage to solo so need to know what I can do to optimize my DPS. I do things such as pop twincast when it's up as well as click off iceflame when running virulent. Also I got the best current EM ear I could get which is from neriak. I also am using the bloodclaw staff with an alleviating burst Aug in it what's the next staff I want to upgrade to? It seems staff's offer better bang for my buck over a primary and a shield. Sorry for all the questions it's a lot of stuff I have been meaning to ask for some time. Thanks in advance!
Felinya
Magician

Re: Help a solo mage

Post by Felinya »

It's hard not to use Rain spells due to the efficiency of them and the area they cover is not big so I doubt they will agro other mobs unless they're in agro range.

I lead with RS/Rain/Rain, kill another with RS and Rain the first one down if I need to. I know I could kill faster by using bigger nukes but I'm all about maximizing my efficiency so I never have to med.
dorfillya
Conjurer

Re: Help a solo mage

Post by dorfillya »

Felinya wrote:It's hard not to use Rain spells due to the efficiency of them and the area they cover is not big so I doubt they will agro other mobs unless they're in agro range.

I lead with RS/Rain/Rain, kill another with RS and Rain the first one down if I need to. I know I could kill faster by using bigger nukes but I'm all about maximizing my efficiency so I never have to med.
I am pretty sure your highest DPS and efficiency over, say, 3 minutes, comes from rain spells. Just the multiple target possibility is the possible downside. The other single target nukes generally give higher DPS only when used with the burn AAs, and, if you ask me, maybe even then rains are still better.

Nothing is cooler than to be pet tanking 2 mobs, twincasting a rain spell, and seeing 8 hits, with 6-7 of those waves hitting for 55K+.