Ravenous Flames / Burning Pyroshroud

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
demar

Ravenous Flames / Burning Pyroshroud

Post by demar »

I'm curious what other mages use these spells for, and when. In the past,I've used them to buff pet/MA against mobs that are extremely resistant to nukes, but I've not used them lately. What does everyone else do?
sharrien
Elementalist

Re: Ravenous Flames / Burning Pyroshroud

Post by sharrien »

I try to keep pyroshroud up at all times on the tank, whether it's a PC or my pet. DPS is DPS and since you cast it before the fight, it really doesn't take anything away from your pool during the fight. Adds a little bit to aggro generation too.

I rarely use ravenous flames any more, the damage it puts out is tiny compared to what I can get casting one of our nukes in the same casting time on any but the most resistant mobs. I also stopped casting it before fights because I have more useful things for the spell slot and the very long re-use timer makes it impractical to only mem it just for a pre-fight buff. Now, if we ever got an AA for a ravenous flame type ability....
Primal Elementalist Ravingronn Blazewarden, Master Artisan, Master Researcher
Savage Spirit Sharrien Dreamstalker, Master Artisan
Celestial Navigators - Maelin Starpyre
Malleria
Arch Mage

Post by Malleria »

Pyroshroud is great. Pretty decent dps if you keep it up on the tank. It's especially good if you're using your pet to tank a ton of low level mobs, as it helps him hold agro on them all.

Ravenous flames... most. useless. spell. ever. k. thx. bai.
Baramos
Conjurer

Post by Baramos »

Agree with the above. I tried to use Ravenous a long time because I like the idea. In theory. The implementation is terrible, though.

I finally gave in. =P

Burning Pyroshroud is fantastic. And, it is a kind of secret. Enjoy that.

Bara
Darkenr
Volunteer

Post by Darkenr »

Baramos wrote:Agree with the above. I tried to use Ravenous a long time because I like the idea. In theory. The implementation is terrible, though.

I finally gave in. =P

Burning Pyroshroud is fantastic. And, it is a kind of secret. Enjoy that.

Bara
Yep, although I don't necissarily consider it a COMPLETE waste of a spell though considering that it does have an ok use. The only time I've found that it has a decent use is during DS pleveling low level alts/friends. Other then that though, yah pretty worthless spell.

I don't even think it would take much to become a worth while spell though... Either like previously suggested, make it an AA, or I would use it more often if the recast was brought down to 60 seconds. That's not that much extra damage every minute, but at least makes it enough damage to make it worth while using a spell gem on some occasions.