Underfoot Spells

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
wire
Elementalist

Underfoot Spells

Post by wire »

I have a semi-functional spell parser I coded that I've been using to help provide feedback during beta. Some of this data may be innaccurate, but I think most of it is correct. Several underfoot spells still have some small data inconsistencies that my parser tends to expose as a result of the devs copying/pasting spell templates.

Keep in mind that many mages have posted a lot of feedback regarding what is good and bad about these spells. We aren't happy with them currently, and most of us are still hoping to see them changed in various ways. All of these spells are subject to change before release:

Thaumatize Pet

Chaotic Boon

Arcane Distillect

Surge of Thaumacreation

wire
Elementalist

Re: Underfoot Spells

Post by wire »

Oh, the highest tier Magician raid BP has this effect:

Zeal of the Elements

Lower tier BP's have the same effect (even though it has a different name) but with less maximum hits.

Ultimately, our 3-essence SoD raid BP is more DPS on the same recast type. However, this new BP gives us an effect that we can stack with Frenzied Burnout while maxing. The +1500 spell damage recourse stacks with Bard songs like Talendor's Aria and Second Spire of the Minstrels, but the effect does not. So, in the presence of a Bard, this click's DPS decreases.
Malleria
Arch Mage

Post by Malleria »

It's ok, we didn't really want mana regen :evil:
Sarenot
Magician

Post by Sarenot »

Spells are pretty dissapointing atm. Wire posted an absolute ton of suggestions, as did other mages, including step by step instructions on what needs to be changed.. hope springs eternal but its getting preeeeety smurf close to release now :(
nylrem
Elementalist

Post by nylrem »

So what exactly does the Thaumatize pet do? From the way it looks, it has a 2 min recast timer and (RK I version) costs 200m, taps pet for 3200hp, and gives you at least 150m a tick with reducing chances at up to 275m a tick for 30 seconds, with higher RK versions costing a bit more mana to cast, with a bit more increased chances to proc the increased mana regen?

I am so sick of short duration buffs. Wish they'd make it like a 20k hit on pet AND caster, for say 20 min duration. Even if it was an AA with a 45min timer. Would extend out to bout 30 min, and ensure you're not gonna cast while fighting without a lotta risk, and still be enough time to kill most raid targets or burn lesson/etc for grouping...
wire
Elementalist

Post by wire »

No, right now it targets the pet, then nukes the pet's target, then procs a recourse on you. The DD amount is lowered as you move farther away from the pet's target. With max extension, you get the recourse for 8 ticks every 2 minutes. If you get hit by a NPC melee or spell attack, the recourse fades immediately. You get at least 150 mana per tick (stacks will all other mana regen effects), but also have a chance to proc a higher mana per tick effect, which will overwrite the base effect since it's a buff with duration.

The reason the reuse is so short is because of the nuke effect: they want you to use it offensively. We've pointed out that with a 5 second cast time and very long recourse, this doesn't mesh well at all. We were really trying to get it made to more of an instant return effect, instead they extended the duration... The mana regen quantity is also lacking a lot of power, especially considering the conditions attached and the mana expenditure up front. :(
Glaven
Elementalist

Post by Glaven »

Actually i'd like a bit of clarification on all the spells, i'm not sure if I completely understand them just reading the data:

1) Chaotic Boon - This is a short term pet buff that gives pet an (offensive or defensive?) proc that heals the pet? I guess this seems somewhat useful for pet tanking tough mobs, although irritatingly short duration.

2) Arcane Distillect - is this essentially an upgrade to Rathe's Strength? Does it overwrite RS or stack?

3) Surge of Thaumacretion - A viral damage shield and spell damage shield? We've never had a viral spell so I don't completely understand how these work, but it seems like it could be useful in raids with lots of AoE's to contend with?

Any corrections or clarification on the above would be appreciated
wire
Elementalist

Post by wire »

Chaotic Boon lets you proc AE pet heals from your nukes. The proc chance & duration vs. recast are so low they make it useless.

Arcane Distillect is just an upgrade to Rathe's Strength with the damage mod increasing from 10% to 15%. The effect is the same for all 3 ranks, making each upgraded rank 100% usless.

Surge of Thaumacreation is another hit-limited DS that is supposed to spread to additional targets (doesn't work out of combat from my testing). Its hit limit is currently a swing limit (which includes misses), making it 100% useless.

All of these problems (and more) have been brought up in beta.
Baramos
Conjurer

Post by Baramos »

Surge no longer lands on your Pet.

Bara
Glaven
Elementalist

Post by Glaven »

That's horrifyingly dissapointing, sounds like boon and thaumacretion are unlikely to ever get mem'd in their current state. Thanks though Wire and the rest of you beta mages for pushing for changes, I hope that we'll see them.