What heppened to the old Magicia's Tower?

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
dduble07
Elementalist

What heppened to the old Magicia's Tower?

Post by dduble07 »

First off I'd like to say HELLO! I am glad that the Magician's Tower in some form is back. I used the Tower alot for information I am a level 81 Magician and used it for even non-related Magician stuff so did my Non Magician freinds. I was not very active on the old site and hope to be very active here. But I still have 1 big question WHAT HAPPENED To the old Magician's Tower? I heard that the servers hosting it went down and it'd be a simple fix but the original owner died some time ago. Anyway thats reallly what i'd like to know is why would the owner(s) of a very popular site not fix it.
Danille

Re: What heppened to the old Magicia's Tower?

Post by Danille »

because the owner of the old website doesnt care about the community any longer.
dduble07
Elementalist

Post by dduble07 »

I see well have higher ranking people on the site tried to contact him? And how much work/money/time would it take to bring the old site back to life?
Malleria
Arch Mage

Post by Malleria »

Check out THIS thread, it should answer your questions :)

In a nut shell, it's not so much a cost/effort thing, but a 'the person hosting the site no longer cares' thing :(
Findyil

Post by Findyil »

Hello I am back after some month and i see that Tower is down, i read some, follow some links and landing here :).

Make me sad to see all the goods stuff lost :(
So i tried to understand :

http://www.who.is/website-information/eqsummoners.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can notice that eqsummoners is a domain name registered and hosted by rackspace
http://www.rackspace.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Web hosting society)

Other side if you go directly to : http://eq1.eqsummoners.com/viewforum.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (or any php usual pages from phpBB2)
You get :
phpBB : Critical Error
Could not connect to the database

The site eqsummoners always exist http://www.eqsummoners.com/eq1index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is here (with somes infos that are not in Database but only in html pages.
The only things is dead is the link to the database (the forum phpBB2 use Mysql database) or the worse case database is destroyed.
- if all database is really broken i can't bellieve that it's impossible to ask the web hosting to recover some backup.
- If it's only the link broken that mean that is necessary to restore the http://eq1.eqsummoners.com/config.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; file (who usually contains address, login and pass to database).

So perhaps If the original owner don't answer it would be possible to directly ask rackspace customer service for help ?
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

From what I understand Danek's works for rackspace so contacting them would get shot straight to him. I might be mistaken but that's what I remember.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Pretty much it's like this: if Danek's does nothing, it's dead; if Daneks does something, it comes back to life, a parade is thrown, and we plead to have the site passed into some other hands to prevent this from happening in the future. I really doubt we'll see Daneks fix it. So join in the convo and help us rebuild :D
Jedis
Administrator

Post by Jedis »

His phone number (or "a phone number") is listed in the DNS entry.

Has anyone bothered trying to call him?
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

The phone number does not work.

Ok, anyone NOT up to date on this and coming here for the first time:
-Realize every attempt to contact Danek has been made (phone number listed on that site is WRONG)
-Danek HAS been contacted by Kozvar with limited results from the contact but Danek is aware of the issue
-Only Danek can do anything about the old MT
-The ONLY thing left to do now is wait; meanwhile rebuild here

The old MT has been down for a couple of months now, it is not a new issue. Most have probably given up on the old MT and many who haven't are still here anyway. The best thing to do to help at this point is to post any info you may have copied/saved from the old MT before it went down. Any chart, program, guide, etc. that you posted on the old site would be met with great appreciation if posted here :D
Qnyin

Post by Qnyin »

I have been away for a long while. Do we still have community reps? Is Koz still ours? I did not see his name in the member list. From looking around this site has been here for a little while, does he plan to be involved here?

Qnyin