Pet getting owned in UF

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
Shardin
Conjurer

Pet getting owned in UF

Post by Shardin »

Can we have the developers take a look at our pet's tanking ability in UF? Maybe we need a few more AA's to make him a little more stout. In the past, me and two other buddies were able to use the pet as a tank in group content but in UF he is just getting owned. This kind of throws a wrench in the game for me and my IRL friends.

I have all the pet tanking AA's except for one more level of sturdy companion. I'm also full DT armored with DT pet focus. If there is a more powerful pet focus in UF I don't really see that making up for it either. I think the mage pet tanking ability is really starting to suffer again compared to the gains we made in SoD.
Danille

Re: Pet getting owned in UF

Post by Danille »

What pet focus do you have?
What zones or mobs are you having problems?
Are you using a merc? What tier merc if you are?

Specifics will help quite a bit here.
Malleria
Arch Mage

Post by Malleria »

With EM8 (I'm guessing you're EM8 if you're tower geared) I find my air pet tanking quite well in tier6 and 7 zones with 2 healer mercs. Trash is doable with just the one healer, though I wouldn't want to try a named without the two. With my beastlord box I'm quite comfortably dropping tier7 nameds (ok, so Arabella wasn't very comfortable, but doable!).
Daiou
Conjurer

Post by Daiou »

T5 geared with some T6 and EMIII focus here, my air pet tanks just fine T6 mobs and while i duo with my wifes enchanter (2 T5 healer mercs) T6 named are doable. T7 trash is also fairly easy we have yet to try T7 named duoing though, i doubt those would be easy but some would likely be doable.
Elentarri
Elementalist

Post by Elentarri »

i have EM8 and when i was boxing in CC with shammy bard me(mage) and 2 cleric and one tank merc the merc tank kept dying and my pet would end up tanking and living so i have no doubts as to the pet tanking ability's in UF and i dont even have full pet aa's.
Zacatac
Conjurer

Post by Zacatac »

Paladins with 6k AC are having troubles, why shouldn't we?

You need to max out all your pet AAs. Use the new chaotic boon. Use your Aegis and PR spells to help healer. Keep RS pets on the mob at all times.

I'm moloing yellow con traitors in cooling chambers. Pets are tanking fine enough.
nako
Conjurer

Post by nako »

I think pet's are doing fine also, but haven't spent much time solo in UF so slightly limited exposure. I was doing the prereq's for CC progression (investigate the dead) with a 4.3k aa, max defensive SK, 5.4k unbuffed AC. The ghouls would root him and pet would end up tanking most of the time, but didn't have any issues (1 real cleric in group, SK's box, no other healers). Using EM6 with max pet defensives, fortify up 2/3 of the time, and aegis refreshed after each time it tanked. He was actually kind of flustered as it appeared to be tanking a lot better than he was until i let him know that it was runed ;P

Only molo stuff I've done so far is the blue/white lavakins for venerable impressions, it tanked those with ease. I would kill 3-4 and then suspend merc, FBO/blessing/host and solo one before a med break/wait for fort to refresh.

-nako/saryrn

[edit] I did molo some named burynai in BR, i loaded up bard to pull [and for a second healer merc but probably didn't need it]. Think it was a caster and just stood there looking stupid most of the time.
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

On a slightly related note; tonight while in underfoot our air pets were tanking fine. Granted we had 2 air pets and a chanter but after looking over the parses it looks like the mobs were sustaining around 280dps against Nako's pet. Just for comparison Beza mobs usually sustain around 350dps solo. So I'll freely admit one mob getting (I presume) slowed by a chanter then stunned by two air pets will have a rough time doing much damage but after watching tanks and our pets in UF we're really not in that bad of shape.
nako
Conjurer

Post by nako »

Those goo's in CC are really weak, I don't think they hit harder than 2k or so except for the yellows. I'm sure you'd probably change your tune if we had managed to spawn the named (blame nako). It's kind of like saying the 76 air pet tanks DSH farm just fine, I think i remember that particular comparision from the old magetower.

Might it be a better tank, sure, but it could be a hell of a lot worse (hi beastlords). I'm pretty happy with where it is now, and I'm sure if it were retuned to be better (snowball's chance in hell?) the plates would cry bloody murder [again].

-nako/saryrn
Shardin
Conjurer

Post by Shardin »

ok fine, i take it back. but there seems to be a theme of being ambushed by like 5 mobs at a time in this expansion.. WTH that can be frustrating.