Low level pet pulling still working or no?

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Zacatac
Conjurer

Re: Low level pet pulling still working or no?

Post by Zacatac »

Personally, never cared for it. Distracted me from doing my DPS job when I was asked to be the puller for an entire mission.
qibrme
Conjurer

Post by qibrme »

Darkenr wrote:Ermm, it was fixed, not nerfed. We were never intended to be pullers, EVER. We were lucky we even got CoN as a compromise.
Mages got a gimped form of being able to split pull, CoN.
Rylden Riptide wrote: Oh please - if something is in the game for ten years without the word 'boo' about it and does not even get acknowledged until another class board finds out about it - it's a nerf. period.
Sounds to me like we need to "FIX" CoN since it was never "INTENDED" to be used for pulling/splitting.
The intent IIRC was a defensive tool to agro, stun an mem blur mobs so we could RUN AWAY without having to gate in order to drop agro.

So in the year 2014 when some inventive mage pulls a mob that other classes have a hard time pulling by using CoN as an offensive rather than defensive tool, guess the fix will not be called a nerf because of intent.

Oh and please don't tell me that anyone believes the Dev's did not know about gpp for years before the "FIXED" it.
The dev'ss might be a lot of things, but stupid is not one of them.
In addition it is well known that they read our boards and sometimes even posted answers onthe old tower.
So they knew.

Grrr!
:P Calebe where are you when i need you? :P

Forgot how much fun it was beating a dead horse :lol:

Suediwenae...
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

Ofcourse they knew about it, just like they knew about pet canni years before they nerfed/fixed it. But do you think mages would be where we are today if we could still pull with and sometimes better than the best pullers in the game? I'd venture to say no. Whether you call it a fix or a nerf, I for one believe the class is better for it.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Mages still are some of the best pullers in the game where coh is useable. There is not 1 mob I can not pull with another mage with me, granted we have years of practice at it but still. CoH in itself is a powerful pulling tool if you have another competent mage along side you, and CoN helps that even more for when you have like 3 mobs walking back together. I am still pissed about green pet pull, but I improvised my strategy and have no problems with it really. :D

Just my 2cp.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Ottaro
Elementalist

Post by Ottaro »

Piemastaj wrote:Mages still are some of the best pullers in the game where coh is useable. There is not 1 mob I can not pull with another mage with me, granted we have years of practice at it but still. CoH in itself is a powerful pulling tool if you have another competent mage along side you, and CoN helps that even more for when you have like 3 mobs walking back together. I am still pissed about green pet pull, but I improvised my strategy and have no problems with it really. :D

Just my 2cp.
Not just with another mage, anyone that knows the technic of CoTH pulling. If that person has snare or root it helps alot :D
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

Ottaro wrote: Not just with another mage, anyone that knows the technic of CoTH pulling. If that person has snare or root it helps alot :D
Yup, and a little bit of room.
Darkenr
Volunteer

Post by Darkenr »

Sillaen wrote:
Ottaro wrote: Not just with another mage, anyone that knows the technic of CoTH pulling. If that person has snare or root it helps alot :D
Yup, and a little bit of room.
And a huge stockpile of pearls.. =P

Suediwenae, It's still a bug fix when you really think about the facts behind the pet pulling issue.

Just like the sword of runes summoned only dd working on all mobs when procced from a pet instead of a PC. Pet pulling is the same, both bug fixes because they intended it to work a certain way, but because of there being something wrong in the code, it worked another way. Whatever their reasons may be whether it may be they didn't know about it, or they didn't have the resources to get it fixed, or it was bumped down on the list of other bugs they needed to fix that were a higher priority at the time, etc it's still a bug fix.

Things like pet canni was a nerf because it was working as originally intended, and there was nothing wrong in the code itself, it's just they didn't anticipate the inflation of pet hps when they came up with the formulas for how reclaim pet would work, but it was working as originally intended. Things like pet pulling, and sword of runes were never originally intended, and if the devs decide it needs to be removed, in the most literal sense it is a bug fix because they're fixing the code involved that caused the erroneous effect.

And yah, I agree, I enjoy discussions like this that really in all effect don't matter anymore and will never change back to what it was lol! I just like heated discussions. :mrgreen:
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Lol my duo mage friend is still on the same 100 pearls since sometime last year iirc. :D

EDIT: And needing room is questionable. I have coh pulled threw the Kyv room (in Korafax) a couple of times camping essences w/o much trouble and there are a good amount of mobs there plus lots of wanderers through the halls.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Ottaro
Elementalist

Post by Ottaro »

Piemastaj wrote:Lol my duo mage friend is still on the same 100 pearls since sometime last year iirc. :D
Hehe same here, i don't remember the last time i bought a stack of pearls. At least a year ago..

Room helps for the new CoTH puller. They tend to get more antsie but if you know what your doing (on both sides, timing wise) very little room is needed. I do it alot with my wife (chanter) when mobs aren't paciable. So its very easy to know when shes pulling, sitting next to each other and seeing her screen, and time my cast.
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

Piemastaj wrote:Lol my duo mage friend is still on the same 100 pearls since sometime last year iirc. :D

EDIT: And needing room is questionable. I have coh pulled threw the Kyv room (in Korafax) a couple of times camping essences w/o much trouble and there are a good amount of mobs there plus lots of wanderers through the halls.
Lol, yeah. Between the few pearls I loot every week, reagent conservation and summoner's beckon, I couldn't tell the last time I bought pearls and I'm the resident COH'er for everyone in my guild, even moving entire raids around MMM.

Well, CoH pulling is not an exact science. Some days I can do it a few feet away and it works, while other days it can be smurf near cross the zone and doesn't. LoS does seem to have something to do with it, sometimes. CoH has also been hit by the nerf bat in the past. Anyone remember when you could just outrun a mob and CoH yourself to break aggro -- can't do that anymore.