off topic tier 5 merc question

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
dduble07
Elementalist

off topic tier 5 merc question

Post by dduble07 »

Well since I am on the eve of getting void e and going to get a tier 5 merc. Which brings me to my question, how good are the tier 5 merc's compared to tier 4? And what kind of armor and aa's are they supposed to have I know they most likely dont have a full set of actual gear or aa's but is there any kind of guesses as to what they have. I have heard things like a tier 5 cleric merc is better then most raid clerics. And tier 5 tank has loads of hp, while as a mage i will always go with a cleric merc but what kind of hp does the tier 5 85 tank merc have? and what can it tank with only 1 healer merc or real healer.
Ottaro
Elementalist

Re: off topic tier 5 merc question

Post by Ottaro »

dduble07 wrote:[...] I have heard things like a tier 5 cleric merc is better then most raid clerics. [...]
Hahaha i nearly spit my coffee out when i read that.

I can't answer you on the Tank side but the cleric side, they are just about the same (T4 vs T5) bufs aren't any longer, i have to say i didn't take the time to notice if the heals were any bigger either. But bigger heals don't matter if the merc is just standing there waiting on promised renewal to hit while your pet is at 10% and going down fast. :roll: AI needs a few tweeks... :lol:
Firen Fury
Arch Convoker

Post by Firen Fury »

merc clerics are good for rhythm grinding. if nothing goes wrong, they're pretty good... but mercs cant react like a player can... they dont cure in time, they often miss heals waiting for delayed ones... they dont use dva and have no epics... or auras...

when i box my mage and cleric for exp i usually pop out a merc just so i dont have to box but im doing simple stuff like gyrospire instances... id never trust a merc in a difficult situation.

i think a T5 merc cleric is about as good gear/AA wise as a T5 group player... but not raid. nothing to base that on but a general feeling tho!
Image . Image . Image
The 'Preview' Button is Your Friend
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

T5 cleric mercs will stay in a fight longer when more then like 3 mobs are pulled. Also they have a bigger mana pool then T4.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Bastler
Conjurer

Post by Bastler »

Delayed heals...
You know you can block those on your pet and that will cause the merc not to use them on it at all?

That tip was already posted on the old tower.

How good they are...
Merc don't have AAs, you will note that as soon as malis lands on you, which they can't remove spellwise. This also limits the heal amount they can dish out, as they can't crit on heals and HOTs.

Still overall they are better then a lot of box clr have been. Especially if those boxes were not played seriously. I do believe the heal merc were the end to quite a lot of box-clr accounts.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

I still think mercs are better just b/c they dont get lost in zones and train the group! :lol:

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Firen Fury
Arch Convoker

Post by Firen Fury »

yeah... if only mages had a way to call their heros to them...

;)
Image . Image . Image
The 'Preview' Button is Your Friend
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

OMG it doesn't work in every zone! :D

Ottaro
Elementalist

Post by Ottaro »

Bastler wrote:Delayed heals...
You know you can block those on your pet and that will cause the merc not to use them on it at all?

That tip was already posted on the old tower.

How good they are...
Merc don't have AAs, you will note that as soon as malis lands on you, which they can't remove spellwise. This also limits the heal amount they can dish out, as they can't crit on heals and HOTs.

Still overall they are better then a lot of box clr have been. Especially if those boxes were not played seriously. I do believe the heal merc were the end to quite a lot of box-clr accounts.
Yeah i did know, but i sometimes have a real cleric in group with us and i kept forgeting to remove the block (faults mine on that) so i leave it as is.

Planning on getting my Cleric bot back out of the moth balls once the new expansion comes out. Even a semi well played cleric beats a merc IMO.
Danille

Post by Danille »

dduble07 wrote:Well since I am on the eve of getting void e and going to get a tier 5 merc. Which brings me to my question, how good are the tier 5 merc's compared to tier 4? And what kind of armor and aa's are they supposed to have I know they most likely dont have a full set of actual gear or aa's but is there any kind of guesses as to what they have. I have heard things like a tier 5 cleric merc is better then most raid clerics. And tier 5 tank has loads of hp, while as a mage i will always go with a cleric merc but what kind of hp does the tier 5 85 tank merc have? and what can it tank with only 1 healer merc or real healer.
Just an FYI, you don't need to complete VOID-E to get a tier 5 merc. All you have to do is complete the progression missions for one theme: the Earth Theme. (tosk/warrens)