how hot are hotzones

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
dduble07
Elementalist

how hot are hotzones

Post by dduble07 »

for the longest time i have wondered how much extra exp hotzones give. Reason i ask is cuz i wanna pl alts, and friends but un-sure if i wanna go to an old hotzone and have the entire zone to myself or fight the 20-30 people in the current hotzones for the extra exp and deal with people being angry that a level 84 is in a lower lvl hotzone
Dadani
Conjurer

Re: how hot are hotzones

Post by Dadani »

Old hot zones are no longer providing extra experience. Only the zones currently on the hot list will provide extra exp. If you can't find the information, the guy that stands outside the guild lobby in PoK can tell you what the hotzones are currently. I believe only the hotzone augs and gear remain once a hotzone is changed.

I took my 57 enchanter to Valdeholm and in just a day or so I had made level 70 and 100 aa's. A 57 can group with an 85.

Definitely a viable option to level faster and you won't be the only one on their with alts. ;)
Image Image
Firen Fury
Arch Convoker

Post by Firen Fury »

in my opinion it depends on the zone and whos there at the time.

lots of hot zones are just retarded, but some have been pretty good.

great divide was a horrible choice for a hot zone... i think it was lvl 50 hot zone? theres nothing there worth killing for xp!

seb was great exp as a hot zone but it was way too crowded...

if youre PLing, i wouldnt bother with the hot zones... xp is already moving super fast... and it gives you the freedom to go wherever you want.

but if you can find a nice quiet corner in a hot zone with lots of good pulls then maybe its worth it...

i dont know what youre PLing with what so its really hard to suggest where to go
Image . Image . Image
The 'Preview' Button is Your Friend
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

If you want to pl alts I'd recommend heading to old world zones that have good xp modifiers. Some of my favorite lower level xp zones are:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/zlvlchart.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paludal Caverns
Unrest
Mistmore Castle
Echo Caverns
Sol A
Lower Guk
Sol B
Howling Stones
Sebilis
The Hole
Splitpaw

All of these zones are nice because the mobs are relatively weak but the zone xp modifiers are pretty good. For example, my baby sk can get 7% aaxp per mob average in Howling stones for a mob that has 12k HP; a great rate IMO. The critters in HS are weak enough I can solo (no merc) and use mostly healing potions with the occassional lifetap to stay in good health. In Nobles Causeway I have to use a merc due to the mobs being a lot tougher. The mobs in there have around 22k-25k HP but only grant 4% aaxp (split with a merc). Even if I could solo in NC it would only be 7-8% aaxp per mob but all the dragorns and murkgliders have double the hitpoints.

Allthe zones above are similar to Howling Stones. Low hitpoint mobs, good xp and in some cases good tribute items.
Baramos
Conjurer

Post by Baramos »

Yeah, Valdehalm's the secret for Mages.

Go down into the pit, no merc for your LotD. Use your twincast, discs, don't be afraid to pop stuff out for your Lesson. Mow the lawn in there.

You get around 20 percent AA per spider at level 85. 8 to 10 AAs a lesson depending on how diligent you want to be.

Low HP, Hotzone XP, LoTD all add up to $$AAXP$$. Or reg XP for that matter.

I saw people complaining that Vald was still a hotzone, on my server. People just want stuff to complain about. Go down there while you can, if you need the AAs.

Bara
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

Sweet. I'll try the Valde pit. So far I haven't found anywhere to burn my LoTD other than my usual old spot (Katta) that nets me ~5.5-6AAs per burn.
Darkenr
Volunteer

Post by Darkenr »

Sillaen wrote:Sweet. I'll try the Valde pit. So far I haven't found anywhere to burn my LoTD other than my usual old spot (Katta) that nets me ~5.5-6AAs per burn.
Only problem with the vald pit is the fact that there are other people with the idea of doing vald pit which pretty much makes it so the pit doesn't have enough mobs to keep a person busy. If there is another group down there, so you only get half the pit to yourself, I would suggest going up and grabbing the task Warning Signs

What that task does is gives you a rune that has 10 charges to click on the crystals down in the pit which every so often (seems to be about 50% of the time) spawns a golem that hits for 2k, but otherwise doesn't have any high resists, or more hps than anything else down there. Oh and the golems summon at 100% so be prepared to be summoned instantly, but they don't hit hard enough to cause any risk of dieing before your pet gets in to attack. The task itself doesn't give you much exp though (only gained like 9% of an AA for turning it in at 85 with 1kAAs). It's just a good task to spawn a few more mobs for you if you find yourself running out in the pit.
Danille

Post by Danille »

I have my mage alt camped in Frostcrypt prison. Have been leveling way back there killing all of the mobs and gained 12 levels on him in 8 days.
dduble07
Elementalist

Post by dduble07 »

Where is the Frostcrypt prison? I mean how do i get there?
Danille

Post by Danille »

It is in the maze, but outside of the raid event timer section. (west side)