Tradeoff HP vs Mana

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Tradeoff HP vs Mana

Post by Sillaen »

I would like to know where you other mages stand when it comes to augs and trading off HPs for mana.

For example:
Aug1: 80hps/80mana
Aug2: 100mana

Which one would you take? What's the value of mana worth to you in Hps? I know in the past many used to use the 5:1 ratio. Is that still the case?
sharrien
Elementalist

Re: Tradeoff HP vs Mana

Post by sharrien »

I would use the 80/80. Mana you die with is mana wasted.
Primal Elementalist Ravingronn Blazewarden, Master Artisan, Master Researcher
Savage Spirit Sharrien Dreamstalker, Master Artisan
Celestial Navigators - Maelin Starpyre
Redius
Conjurer

Post by Redius »

agree with 80/80. To be honest, to beat a 80/80 (for me anyway) a pure mana aug would have to be 160+ for me to swap out. As stated before, mana not used when you die, is mana wasted.
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

Yes, the #1 cause of death in EQ is running out of HP.
Jaytee
Conjurer

Post by Jaytee »

I weight HP and mana equally. So a 80/80 is essentially a 160 "point" item for me and I would not replace it with a 100 "point" item. Sometimes it is not as clear cut though, would you prefer a Feral Eye (AC25 HP90) or an Elaborate Defiant Coldstone (HP45 Mana45)? Those are the one that you kind of have to look at your particular situation and see what you need more.
Zacatac
Conjurer

Post by Zacatac »

Jaytee wrote:I weight HP and mana equally. So a 80/80 is essentially a 160 "point" item for me and I would not replace it with a 100 "point" item. .
Same here. I've always considered hp/mana as an equal exchange. If I have an 80/80 aug, I would need 160 mana aug or better to replace it.
If the aug has other things on it, like mod2s, then of course it gets harder to decide.
wire
Elementalist

Post by wire »

Merlaina wrote:Yes, the #1 cause of death in EQ is running out of HP.
In "EQ", yes. But for soloing/grouping situations as a Mage with zero outs other than CoN, I mostly find myself dying because I do not have enough mana to continue operations. After a reasonable amount of HP (25k?) I would trade almost any amount of HP for just 1 mana. In raiding situations, HP is mostly irrelevant with any competent healer; so your DPS will usually depend only on the mana you have available.
pandax
Arch Magus

Post by pandax »

Merlaina wrote:Yes, the #1 cause of death in EQ is running out of HP.
Meh, I dislike this statement quite a bit. It's indicative of the over simplification which happens very frequently throughout all of life.

I saw a warrior the other day who says that he goes for a 90hp aug over a 25ac aug. I was like, WHAT?! He quoted the exact line from above....

You might die when you run out of HP, but no achievable amount of HP is going to keep you alive in this game if you have 0 mana or AC or no way to kill a mob, heh.....
pandax
Arch Magus

Post by pandax »

as for HP vs. mana, I give mana a 2X advantage over HP. So for me, a 30hp/mana aug is equal to a 90hp aug.

Classes like enchanters, clerics, and shamans would probably feel differently ;)
Mindrix
Conjurer

Post by Mindrix »

Okay, I come at this a little differently, mostly because I have one of the best caster augment sets in the game. But I normally look at it from a "is the upgrade worth the 4k it's going to cost me to switch augments". That's mostly the reason I haven't put in the time for some of the just slightly better Augments from old raids that are out there for high-enders. That, and as they put more and more hInt one augments, all of the old raid augments are going to be worthless. Remember, hInt is worth 21 mana per point at lvl 85 (give or take a little depending on stepping).

As for the direct question, I'd take the 80/80. That 20 mana isn't going to save you. That 80 HP just might. But you should try to maximize as much mana as you can. The 2 hp = 1 mana idea isn't a bad number to run with, to be honest. Keeps your augment set decently balanced.