Pet DA, what the hell?

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
Bastler
Conjurer

Pet DA, what the hell?

Post by Bastler »

Well I fail to see the use for this outside raids to be true. Is it a real DA? So does the pet stop attacking and casting, will the mob loosinterest on it and turn on me during soloing? Will I be unable to heal it unless I click it off?
Last edited by Bastler on Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redius
Conjurer

Re: Pet DA, what the hell?

Post by Redius »

It doesn't function like a "pure" DA. Mobs continue to attack the pet, and the pet continues to attack the mob. In practice, it's very handy for raids (enrage etc), BUT is also of use if you're pet tanking mobs; just make sure to account for the couple second cast time.
wire
Elementalist

Post by wire »

It functions like NPC DA. The pet continues attacking and maintains agro and you can't cast on it. However, you lose DS DPS (it isn't getting hit) and it stops the pet from casting. Right now, it is very good for raids and pet-tanking named when they enrage.

Keep in mind that they *may* at some point change the functionality to something more like PC DA. If/when that happens, it will be almost useless.
Zacatac
Conjurer

Post by Zacatac »

It was noted elsewhere that you cannot cast on your pet while it is DA. So no heals, no companion's blessing or fortify, etc. etc. will land while it is DA'd.
Bastler
Conjurer

Post by Bastler »

Redius wrote: Mobs continue to attack the pet, and the pet continues to attack the mob.
Hmm but does it do damage?

Well considering the other posts (thanks guys) this seems not like an urgent AA for me. I have good experiences with Relocate Companion on lil raids we are still able to do :roll: . That should be sufficient for now.
Danille

Post by Danille »

This functionality helps tremendously when in group. For example if a tank goes down and jober needs to come to the rescue....even if the mob were to tear up a non-DA's pet you can hit this AA. Have the pet hold off the mob, keep aggro and attacking while the group nukes it down.

On raids, think of it as a WS (ranger AA) It can help a raid win an event where the tanks have died and the range DPS just needs a short time to kill the target.
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

The way companions blessing seems to work from what I've observed is it changes from companions blessing I to companions blessing II to companions blessing III throughout its duration. I'm curious: if you were to CB your pet and then DA it, could the DA block the transition of one level of CB to the next?
wire
Elementalist

Post by wire »

Merlaina wrote:The way companions blessing seems to work from what I've observed is it changes from companions blessing I to companions blessing II to companions blessing III throughout its duration. I'm curious: if you were to CB your pet and then DA it, could the DA block the transition of one level of CB to the next?
Yes, it blocks the recourses.
Glaven
Elementalist

Post by Glaven »

This is an aa worth having imo. If nothing else, it's a much better oh smurf button than CoN, or at least a bonus to use in conjunction. And as was said before, it can be a difference maker in an emergency offtank situation.
qibrme
Conjurer

Post by qibrme »

Glaven wrote:This is an aa worth having imo. If nothing else, it's a much better oh smurf button than CoN, or at least a bonus to use in conjunction. And as was said before, it can be a difference maker in an emergency offtank situation.
I got to use the DA quite a bit when solo and grouping.

For the times when you are close to killing a mob, since RpS can't really off tank in Underfoot, if an add comes along, the DA is priceless.
Your pet may say up for long enough to finish the first mob where without the DA Jober would go down very fast.

You may also want to try hitting the DA which will at least give you time to gate when the group wipes to a named who would eat you and your pet before you could get gate off.

Also try telling your pet to Guard, then back off.
Send in CoN and move out of agro range :) = mage FADE.

20 plus seconds lets you weigh your options.

Sued...

Speaking of FADE... Berzerkers get FADE with a SoS?

WTH :o