What heppened to the old Magicia's Tower?

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Re: What heppened to the old Magicia's Tower?

Post by Tweelis »

From what I remember Danek's was footing a pretty large bill for network traffic. For some reason $300/month sticks in my mind; very little of which was being foooted by the users of the old mage tower community. If Danek's was picking up most of that it really doesn't surprise me he's not overly eager to get the old site up and running again.

I mean really, how many of us would be willing to do a lot of extra work and pay a bunch of money for something we have no interest in and get nothing out of? Worse yet some people "donated" a pittance more than once that was eaten by Paypal. Nilaman said something to the effect "if you can't contribute a reasonable amount to not even bother because Paypal charges a per transaction fee for every donation." However some people still only tossed in a pittance which would be totally eaten by Paypal or would be so small after the fees that it isn't worth the hassle.

Kozvar is still our community rep as far as I know. He's in the serverwide channel pretty often and talks here and there. Chances are it's my perception playing tricks on me but whenever this new board/site is brought up (or the demise of the old site) he's gets very quiet and won't respond to anything relating to this site or the old one. He may or may not visit here but either way I know he does have a direct line to key people inside SOE/EQ and does use that line to communicate mage stuff to them. Hazarding a guess but he's probably been here more than once as an unregistered guest but even if he hasn't he's still our community rep and continues to do things on our behalf. Weather he ever does register here or not it's up to him; he does have free will and isn't required to be an active member of these boards in order to be our CR.
Danille

Post by Danille »

As a community supporter of the old MT website for over five years, as can assure you that the whole donation angle is really being blown out of proportion. Whenever a post was made by the old website admins, who ever they were, the community supporters raised the necessary funds in less than a few weeks. If there was an issue that the cost of running the old website was an issue, it was never communicated to the community in any manner.

In my humble opinion is the last website administrator, simply lost interest. To make matters worse, he screwed the community over by not being straight with everyone posting a bogus message that he would have the website fixed shortly and never came to anyone for solutions. He has at least 4 email addresses of people who sent him numerous emails asking him if they could be of assistance. He basically blew everyone of us off.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Koz is the community rep still. He has a handle on the eq boards that is not kozvar but something else; I only know when I see the name (Razelle or something, maybe?). He claims he is still giving the old MT a chance before coming here.

Personally, I think he has a handle here but is incognito. One of his guildmates is here and is a regular poster so I'm sure he at least knows what's going on with the site whether he logs in as a guest (Tweelis hypothesis) or logs in incognito (my hypothesis). If you are looking for koz, you can find him through the eq boards or ingame on the serverwide channel. He has the best info for what's going on with the old boards and I'm sure has a few hotbuttons set up to answer your questions :lol:

FWIW, I agree with Danille in that he essentially blew everyone off and has set up a lie about fixing the site. The responsible and considerate thing to do would at least be to pass the endeavor off to someone willing to pick it up so we can continue our community as it was without the needing to rebuild anew. I don't care if Danek cusses us out and wishes evil things upon us and gives us a wrecked site because then we at least have the chance to fix it. No one is asking him to fix it, we are asking him to give it to us to carry forward.
ukadrew

Post by ukadrew »

Why must everything be so secretive?

People should be more open so that the community can understand and judge for themselves. I remember the sh*t hitting the fan when the original owner of the MT decided to leave. So much crap being said on both sides but rarely the truth is put out there for everyone to see and judge for themselves. Once again i see this being repeated.

And what is this crap with Kozvar? I personally dont care if he chooses to come to this site or not, but aside for the serverwide channel in game, how else is anything going to be communicated to the mage community as a whole if not through sites like this? I dont use the server wide channel in game, but im pretty sure in saying it has a minute attendance compared to those that visit these boards.

I can only speak for myself, but if anyone is wanting an opinion or suggestions for the class to be put forward to the devs, (as we did in the past on the original MT) i would hope that every effort is made to contact as many people as possible and not keep it to a clique or a personal opinion of one individual. No good can come from that - at all.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Who's being secretive? Danek knows the issue (fact) and now no one can get ahold of him (fact) and the number listed on the site for him is wrong (fact). I assume you mean Danek is being secretive?

I'd like to see Koz here as well. I'm sure he'll come here someday.....
ukadrew

Post by ukadrew »

[quote="Voragath"]Who's being secretive? Danek knows the issue (fact) and now no one can get ahold of him (fact) and the number listed on the site for him is wrong (fact). I assume you mean Danek is being secretive?

I guess you missed the first post welcoming the 'new' MT so here is a snippet for you - "I'm a Magician from Everquest. I don't feel it's neccessary to get into the details of who I am at this time" This from the site admin EQ Mage Tower.

Its not just the latest buzz word in politics but lets have more transparency here!

Who is to say how long this site will operate, and not go the same way? I can only speak for myself, but the original MT had charisma, it also had a wealth of info, and a few 'bone heads' whom i liked to rile every once in a while. This site sadly feels cold and devoid of anything like that to me. Possibly in time it may be different, but i most likely will move on and not have any interest at that time.

Just a thought, but as Danek's owns the domain name to the original MT, does that include the content? If not, would it not be possible to 'cut + paste' the posts from the original site to here? (simplifying the procedure i realise) Allowing for someone to have an image of the original site of course. I did read someplace that Koz may have.
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

ukadrew wrote:Who is to say how long this site will operate, and not go the same way? I can only speak for myself, but the original MT had charisma, it also had a wealth of info, and a few 'bone heads' whom i liked to rile every once in a while. This site sadly feels cold and devoid of anything like that to me. Possibly in time it may be different, but i most likely will move on and not have any interest at that time.
The same could be said about all the different mage boards. This isn't the second set of mage boards. As far as I can remember this is the 4th set of high traffic boards; not counting other mage sites that don't have a board.
Danille

Post by Danille »

This site will take off as soon as the effort to either get the old site up and running/getting the information from the old site is either successful or exhausted.
It is not fair to have higher expectations while things are in limbo. It is going to be a "progress before perfection" situation.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

ukadrew wrote:[

Oh, the "host" secret. Somewhere he said something about how he isn't ready to reveal who he is or something. I dunno. I'd like to know who it is b/c they deserve a wealth of thanks. Some old info on the site is still there in internet limbo but the newer stuff is pretty much gone unless the old MT is brought back online. Some stuff made it to guild websites and other message boards from where it can be lifted.

I don't know how to scour and dig for the archived pages from the old site so I can't much help :( I hope there are enough people who know how and can get a good deal of info back.
Firen Fury
Arch Convoker

Post by Firen Fury »

wouldnt the info on the old board be burried in some history somewhere on everyones computer who saw it (and hasnt cleared said history lately) ? seems like it shouldnt be all THAT hard to search for the important threads. time consuming as hell, but not actually difficult.

just an idea... id search my own but i had just found the old mage board when it poofed... i didnt even get to activate my account on it.
Image . Image . Image
The 'Preview' Button is Your Friend