queen malarian

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
jack96jill
Arch Mage

queen malarian

Post by jack96jill »

this makes me crazy everytime we raid her, they call for no pets/familiars...so, looking for some support to link/post :P to get this changed

a: do pets spawn adds on queen malarian?

b: can pets spread the ae?
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Re: queen malarian

Post by Voragath »

Familiars won't. Normal pets can get hit with the ae but can be cured easily by one cast of our pet heal. Keep the pet cured and it's no problem. This is the result of a years old paranoia of pets mixed with the stupidity of beastlords :twisted: Seriously, it's a combo of the paranoia and some people not paying attention to pets so, to make things easier, most just call for no pets. If they worried about loss of dps at a raid, would they call for no fire nukes from wizzies so they wouldn't overnuke, get summoned, and die resulting in a loss of dps? NO. Really, all this pet hate needs to go and people need to change the way they think. Our RL says no pets but we had a mage a few raids back leave his out. The next time, 2 mages did. We did just fine both times and neither mage's pet caused a problem. Oddly, the beast left hers out and it promptly died in the first minute :lol:

Actually, the pet paranoia runs so deep in some of our officers, most of which have been around since day one of eq, that anytime something goes wrong at a raid they blame the pets first thing. This happened at Brekt, and we kept failing due to lack of dps. I complained to a war friend of mine who agreed pets weren't the problem and the officers didn't believe his solution. So he defied the RL's directions and showed them he was right and pets weren't the issue. Since then, pets have been ok and actually, at least twice that I know of, a mage pet won the raid by tanking Brekt b/c all the other tank types were dead.

At QM, pets aren't the problem, people not getting cures is the REAL problem. Hope this helps!
Vermi

Post by Vermi »

jack96jill wrote:this makes me crazy everytime we raid her, they call for no pets/familiars...so, looking for some support to link/post :P to get this changed
A: no
B: no

I prrefer to use the Fire Pet here, because the worms are vulnerable to fire.
sharrien
Elementalist

Post by sharrien »

Voragath wrote:This is the result of a years old paranoia of pets mixed with the stupidity of your raid leaders.
Fixed that for you.

There are no hits that we exclude pets from currently except when we go back to do Blackburrow. If you are having difficulty with QM, then people are probably not following the emotes. We pull her out of her cubby and when someone gets targeted with the add-spawning AE, we have them run south into the cubby and come back out for a cure after it hits. Mage pets plus rage and swarm pets are certainly non-trivial contributors to dps and beast pets are necessary for their dps discs if nothing else. Banning pets is stupid, stupid, stupid.
Primal Elementalist Ravingronn Blazewarden, Master Artisan, Master Researcher
Savage Spirit Sharrien Dreamstalker, Master Artisan
Celestial Navigators - Maelin Starpyre
Falino-Luclin
Elementalist

Post by Falino-Luclin »

When we do this raid we pull her to the big room to the south with the things that look like benches in the room. We kill her on the east side of the room and corner her in the northeast corner (I hope my directions are right as I'm not looking at the map and am not in game, I could have the zone flipped around in my head). When someone gets targeted with the dot they move to the west side of the room until the dot lands and they are cured. Nobody else is ever on the west side of the room. This applies to everyone except the MT. If the MT is targeted with the dot, everyone, including pets, must move out of melee range. Thus, the only time a pet should get the dot on them is if someone doesn't move when they get hit with the dot (not the pet caster's fault), or the MT gets targeted and the pet owner forgets to call their pet off (the pet owner's fault). However, in my mind, a pet owner is no more likely to not call their pet off than a melee DPS person is to not be paying attention and to not move when they need to.
Redius
Conjurer

Post by Redius »

Voragath wrote:that anytime something goes wrong at a raid they blame the pets first thing.
I know the feeling. To this day, no one is allowed to use swarm pets on event 4 in tower, because one of the Scryers summons, and the powers that be have decided that it's rogue swarm pets doing the 1.5 million damage that it takes to get them to start summoning. Just pure win.
Zacatac
Conjurer

Post by Zacatac »

jack96jill wrote: a: do pets spawn adds on queen malarian?

No.

No.

I've always used pets on this raid.
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

Vermi wrote:
jack96jill wrote:this makes me crazy everytime we raid her, they call for no pets/familiars...so, looking for some support to link/post :P to get this changed
A: no
B: no

I prrefer to use the Fire Pet here, because the worms are vulnerable to fire.
Vermi is spot on. In my guild, us casters are always on maggot duty and the fire pet is money for getting them dead quickly so you can get back on the Queen.

Also, even if your pet gets the dot on them, they do not spawn adds. You don't have to heal them or anything.
jack96jill
Arch Mage

Post by jack96jill »

aye, usually i bring up fire pet for the fight if i can. last night was our first solo win on her('hard' even), usually teamed up with another guild, but they called no pets...everything went smooth and good, i just think things could have gone alot faster with pets. Its going to be hard changing minds when no pets = smooth win.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Anyway you spin it for Queen is this: More DPs= less adds which = less CC which = less work. If you have 4 mages in a raid and call for no pets, then you basically just added another minute to your kill time easily. Especially if you add in other pet classes. I have never had my pet even get the AE on Queeny. And I am pretty sure Aegis and their iceflame block would block out the AE (not 100% sure tho).

I am a firm believer in having pets on raids, so I would just not nuke if they decide to cripple our dmg out-put. Also, I am pretty sure we have some parses for DPS on this boards somewhere showing what a mage can do on the raid for just Queeny only. I know I broke 11kDPs on it w/o anything special. There is no way possible I am doing that w/o my pets plain and simple.

Just my 2cp. :D

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams