an air pet utility

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Danille

an air pet utility

Post by Danille »

an air pet utility that stuns the mob for 4 seconds every 4 seconds for the same duration that RS pet exists.
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Re: an air pet utility

Post by Sillaen »

Never gonna happen even if the devs were for it. Most of the other classes already think the air pet's current stun is too powerful already and would cause a big stink about it.
falinkrin
Magician

Post by falinkrin »

Stun lock for 18-20 seconds is just a tad overpowered...
qibrme
Conjurer

Post by qibrme »

falinkrin wrote:Stun lock for 18-20 seconds is just a tad overpowered...
Was hoping we left the 4 letter word back on the old Mage Tower.

"OVERPOWERED"

If I am correct, this board is a magician class forum where we try to avocate the best possible improvements for our class.
Sillaen wrote: Most of the other classes already think the air pet's current stun is too powerful already and would cause a big stink about it.
Danille is suggesting a UTILITY pet, not asking to allow our regular Air Pets to stun for 18 seconds.

The RS pets basically lock a mob for their life duration, whether by time or if the mob does enough DPS to kill RS.

A good portion of the RS pets I cast are not for DPS but rather to be used as a rune for my pet so that multiple mobs don't kill my pet.

So what's the big deal and why would such a UTILITY be OVERPOWERED?

Asking for UTILITY pets with unique abilities based on the pet type is a good concept.

I am sure there would be refresh timers, etc as there are with any abilities of this type.

My point is that the DEV's are VERY GOOD at doing what they feel is appropriate to maintain class balance.

When magicians start by telling them that even within our own class we feel something is over powered, we start at a disadvantage.

My point is that it would be more constructive to offer alternate suggestions for improving the class.

/Rant off

Suediwenae...
falinkrin
Magician

Post by falinkrin »

Rant all you like. If you can't see how eliminating any and all damage by a stunnable mob endlessly is overpowered, I can't help you.

For crying out loud, two mages could kill anything that was stunnable in the game with no need for any support, heals, anything. Matter of fact,the second mage would only be there for support and missed stuns.

Yes, that's overpowered and ultimately bad for the class. "My country right or wrong" is always wrong.
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

Yes, rant all you'd like, but a utility that renders a mob useless for ~20 seconds while taking a crap ton of incoming dmg would never fly. Do you realize how much dmg a person can put on a mob in 20 seconds these days, much less an entire group without any chance of mob retaliation?
That's the reason all slow spells now are heavily mitigated and this would be the equivalent of a 100% slow, something no one will ever get.
qibrme
Conjurer

Post by qibrme »

Well it seems like you guys did not get my point.

My rant was not over whether or not we would get a 100% perma stun ability for 20 seconds.
I did not suggest that and since I have seen Danille on the mage boards over the years, I do not think that is what she was suggesting... At least I did not read it that way.

My rant was simply saying how about approaching the issue constructively by suggesting alternatives, improvements, restrictions, etc., instead of just coming out and saying no way its too over powered.

Saying while I might not prefer the air pet stun option for example, an alternative might be an earth pet utility that last as long as RS. Ten minute recast timer.
The earth pet would root the mob(unresistable up to mob level XX) you send it after (root duration XX seconds)
and any other mob that happens to hit you during the earth utility pets life.

Justification:
Mage class already has root in our earth pets -- this is more of a root on demand every ten minutes.
Current RS will attack mobs that hit you in addition to the mob targeted when the spell is cast.

Etcetera, etcetera...

I am not saying that the earth pet is the right solution for our defensive needs either.
That was just an example of what I would rather see us approach issues with.

Constructive rather than negative without alternatives for improving the class.

Suediwenae...